Post by martivaugh » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:46 pm

I don't know how I would set up my "Services offered" in OC since OC is all about categories that have Products. My services really don't have products. Services include: screen printing, embroidery, graphic design, digital gifts, etc.
Any help is appreciated.

Post by Qphoria » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:39 pm

Well a service is a product
Category: Our Services
- Product 1: Screen Printing
- Product 2: embroidery
- Product 3: graphic design

Administrator

Post by straightlight » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:54 am

That would be incorrect. A service, in this case, would be a defined class that contains an infinity of subsets.
one of a possibly exhaustive set of classes among which all things might be distributed.
Source: Google.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by martivaugh » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:13 am

Thank you both for your replies. I really appreciate the help!

Post by Qphoria » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:08 am

straightlight wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:54 am
That would be incorrect. A service, in this case, would be a defined class that contains an infinity of subsets.
one of a possibly exhaustive set of classes among which all things might be distributed.
Source: Google.
::)
Thou doth pontificate too much me thinks.
As far as opencart is concerned, a service is listed as a product, the type of service is the category.
If you want infinite subsets, then leave a free form textbox and use a "quote me" mod or use options.

Administrator

Post by straightlight » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:25 pm

Then that logic would be flaw since a category is not a product. If a category would be a product, the category ID would be invoked along with the product ID when a customer adds a product to the cart and even identified in the order. The Opencart core installation does not provide this functionality, so far. If a category can be a product before the product is added to the cart without the category ID, then the logic has been contradicted since a product on the shelf is about making the sale with the objective on completing as many orders within the same year.

Besides, if a category would be a product, OC would already provides its functionality from the admin - > catalog - > categories page in order to define a category as a product out-of-the-box in the first place which, even on this day, does not provide the functionality.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Qphoria » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:42 am

It's a good thing I never said anything about a category being a product

Administrator

Post by straightlight » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:13 am

It would seem you were referring to this analogy:
Service as a product (SaaP)
Although, while this is indeed the case, it should of had been clarified with your explanation to avoid the confusion. In addition to these terms, a service is not a product. It can be considered a product as per the as a mentions in the quote but is not distinct to a product directly.

In the database programming world, it means that an equal (=) is not identical to the LIKE statement which is obviously true.

That being said, a service is not a product. It is considered a reference to a product, according to SaaP.

Quote from Google:
Equity and Equality Are Not Equal. There is a common misconception that equity and equality mean the same thing — and that they can be used interchangeably, especially when talking about education. But the truth is they do not — and cannot. Yes, the two words are similar, but the difference between them is crucial.
Also known as: ascertain definition.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON