Post by gottabjoaken » Tue May 30, 2017 11:13 am

Oh no, not another newbie!
I thought this would be easy but...

Existing site working fine in public_html version 1.5.2.1 using mydomain.com.au

I want to install a fresh, new, demo OpenCart 2.3.0.2 in a directory under public_html as public_html/test2302.
I upload the contents of the released upload folder to public_html/test2302.
I have created a database and user ready for it, and expect the demo install function to let me link to that and create the OpenCart demo system,
as it did successfully on my pc under localhost.
The config.php files are empty (0 bytes)

When I go to mydomain.com.au/test2302
the URL redirects to mydomain.com.au/test2302/install/index.php
I expect to have the standard demo install create me a site.

However a (partial) copy of the home page of my live site is loaded with a message:
Home> The page you requested cannot be found.

If I create a copy of the live site under a subfolder ../test1521, using a copy of the live database,
all is working fine. The URL mydomain.com.au/test1521 loads the website and accesses the test database.

So it looks to me as though the live site software is being used, not the 2.3.0.2 which is under public_html/test2302.
I have even edited the public_html/test2302/.htaccess to have RewriteBase /test2302/

Please can anyone tell me what have I missed?
Ken

Post by gottabjoaken » Tue May 30, 2017 12:14 pm

Follow-up...

And what is odd about the display of the partial home page is that the category selections of the live site appear across the bottom of the header,
and the test2302 config files don't have a database to point to. So that shouldn't happen.

However, the page (mostly) works as though linked to the live site, and when I click a link - say a category, or the About Us from the footer etc - the URL is re-directed to the live site, and obviously is now using the live database.

The other test1521 works as expected and when links are clicked, the URL remains as mydomain.com.au/test1521/.........

Ken

Post by gottabjoaken » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:59 pm

Rather hoping someone has an answer to this problem.

Can't be a unique requirement to have a test upgrade installation in a sub folder.

Anyone got any ideas please????

Ken

Post by GilesM » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:27 am

Have you tried to set up a subdomain?

eg. testsite.yourdomain.com and redirected this subdomain to the test directory.

PGM

Don't pay for simple mods
My free modules: Filter resets in admin, Add extra flat shipping, Improved Admin Product Search and Canned Messages.
My site uses (free): Modification refresh button, Additional Alert Email Fix, TLT Structured Data
My site uses (paid): Journal2, Restrict catalog by customer group

Post by gottabjoaken » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:51 am

Thanks for the suggestion Giles.
No, I haven't tried that. I wasn't too sure if the hosting site allowed me sub-domains.

Their advice was to use a test sub-folder, so I was expecting that to work.

I will have to investigate what and how to use a sub-domain.

Ken

Post by GilesM » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:18 am

Another thought - do you have the URL rewrite on in .htaccess?

PGM

My free modules: Filter resets in admin, Add extra flat shipping, Improved Admin Product Search and Canned Messages.
My site uses (free): Modification refresh button, Additional Alert Email Fix, TLT Structured Data

Post by gottabjoaken » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:35 pm

Well, all the searches and info I can gather tell me all about multi-store using sub-domain, but nothing about a test environment using a different version of the software.

Hey... does no-one do testing.????

I can't be the first to ask how to set up a test environment, surely?

Can anyone point me to the relevant posts/advice on this matter?

Ken

Post by GilesM » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:10 am

My test environment is on my local machine using AAMPS. Much easier and quicker than trying to upload to a webserver ...

PGM

Post by gottabjoaken » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:47 am

Yes, Giles. Mine too.
Of course that is ok for development and initial testing, but is not testing the proper environment.

Also makes it a more lengthy exercise to retire the old version and promote the new.

Anyway, I have released my upgrade now, and should only have a few minor improvements to implement now.

The upgrade from 1.5.2 to 2.3 actually went pretty well, especially having made the decision to abandon the theme we had and adopt the default theme.
That will be a choice to be reviewed when I have more time...

Thanks for your support.
Ken.

Post by GilesM » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:38 pm

I use the Journal2 theme - which I must say is truely excellent.

PGM

Post by gottabjoaken » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:33 am

Thanks for that information Giles.
A theme will be on the agenda once I have got the site settled and the principal chooses to invest a bit more in it. Journal does look very good, but we have many many categories, products, and even worse, options.
I will have to investigate a theme very carefully to ensure it will be suitable.

I have also installed a number of free minor mods, and although they may be overtaken by the benefits of a theme, as I said, the site needs to settle and prove its worth first.

Ken

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:14 am

well, just keep in Mind, that Journal does not only consist out of a Theme, it's a very
heavy OC-Modification, placing a lot of it's Custom Files, and Masses of Custom Scripts and Styles,
as you will easy find out, by looking at a Browser Page Source of the simple Welcome Page.
And this all results in heavy load, one good reason for Journal, to implement their own
Custom Caching-Functions, because otherwise, the Theme will dramatically slow down
overall OC-Performance.

Just to have it said ! :D
Good Luck
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland