Post by OpenFan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:57 pm

Is OpenCart good shop for 30.000-50.000 products?
I tested it in Oscommerce but Ithink OpenCart wiil be simple and better solution.

Post by Qphoria » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:15 pm

Try it and let us know :) it should be ok in theory, but it was never tested at that volume.

Administrator

Post by OpenFan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:23 pm

OK I will try it and give you link.
45519 products...

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:27 pm

This will be interesting to see. I am curious how it does. I have a feeling at that volume there may need to be some query optimization.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Qphoria » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:55 pm

I'm not so sure. The queries are pretty basic. It would be a problem if there was use of "ORDER BY RAND()" as that would likely bring the server to its knees.. but the rest of the core queries are very basic for the most part.

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:57 pm

yeah my concern is the pretty much global use of * I've seen that make massive difference in query time on large tables with a large number of rows.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Yakiv » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:20 am

OpenFan wrote:OK I will try it and give you link.
45519 products...
I imagine you are bringing all of these in through a spreadsheet and the import/export module? That's quite an import. I am curious how OpenCart will even handle that, let alone the queries afterward.

Post by Qphoria » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:43 am

yea i dont think it will work with that import/export

I am working on an XML import script. I have it working for importing RSS feeds.. but trying to make it so that it can import custom fields and be dynamic.

Administrator

Post by Yakiv » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:33 am

Qphoria wrote:yea i dont think it will work with that import/export

I am working on an XML import script. I have it working for importing RSS feeds.. but trying to make it so that it can import custom fields and be dynamic.
Is this going to be available as a tool for OpenCart site owners?

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:00 am

Just to give you some ideas about the memory usage of the Export/Import module for a store that has 13,500 products and 300 categories:

Export: up to 12,320,768 bytes
Import: up to 354,942,976 bytes

Which works fine with the following PHP settings:

memory_limit 512M
post_max_size 16M
upload_max_filesize 16M

The XLS file size is 9MB.

The high memory usage of the Import is due to the fact that the underlying PHPExcelReader parses the whole file into RAM memory first before being able to access the spreadsheet cells.

I have also run some tests with the ods-php and the PHPExcel, both of them use even more memory for reading and parsing the XLS and/or ODS file. Probably the only way to ever support larger amounts of products would be by using CSV files or plain text files which could be read serially, one line at a time, using far less memory. I have done something similar for several customers who needed their Opencart database to be populated by datafeeds from special suppliers. Of course, the suppliers have their own formats for their product catalogs, so it can only be done individually for each Opencart customer as needed.
Last edited by JNeuhoff on Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by Qphoria » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:02 am

ZenCart has a CSV method that I was looking into. It loses the ability to use different worksheets, but can be set to be more dynamic as it uses a table.column mapping method so it won't break with future versions unless the table or column name changes, but new tables/columns wont break it (they just wont be populated)

Administrator

Post by Yakiv » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:06 am

JNeuhoff wrote:Probably the only way to ever support larger amounts of products would be by using CSV files which could be read searially one line at a time, using far less memory.
Yes, I was thinking right away that it should be CSV files, which is totally acceptable for distribution to the site owner from the webmaster. The site owner (the business owner) would likely have MS Excel or OpenOffice installed and ready to use. The CSV files, inside these two programs, don't act much different than an Excel (.xls) spreadsheet.

Post by smorelli » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:24 am

I don't know. I'm already running into some kind of issue. I've got the first 1500 products in there. I went to export so that I'd have my list to add to and re-import the products. It no longer gives me the green confirmation and no red errors. It just acts like it went through, but nothing gets imported. I wish there were some kind of error catch to see what could be going wrong.

Post by rph » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:06 am

It's most likely you're running into file size or memory usage limits.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by smorelli » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:21 am

How can I check on what my memory usage limits are?

Post by smorelli » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:31 am

I just spoke with my host and the default is set to 8MB; they said I could change it in php.ini

After looking at the php.ini file with open cart, it says

Code: Select all

memory_limit = 64M;
. I'm guessing memory limit isn't the issue. Any other ideas?

Post by JNeuhoff » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:12 am

I'm guessing memory limit isn't the issue. Any other ideas?
error_log ?

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by smorelli » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:39 am

Forgot that there was an error log....love that!!!

Code: Select all

fread() [<a href='function.fread'>function.fread</a>]: Length parameter must be greater than 0 in /home5/rogerss1/public_html/store/system/library/cache.php on line 25
So, what do you think?

Post by kenji815 » Tue May 25, 2010 6:21 am

I'm having same problem.
I uploaded about 4000 items and it won't let e upload anymore using import/export module built into 1.4.7
The xls file is about 2mb.
There is no error message no green confirmation.
Nothing gets imported.

Guru Member