SEO

Post by fmw » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:47 pm

Recently I moved from my old web site to my new opencart site. My desire was to have cell phone formatting and more modern SEO. The cell phone formatting worked out well. SEO not so much. My sales have tanked. Is there something I need to do get back in business? What have I missed?

fmw

Post by labeshops » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:54 pm

fmw wrote:Recently I moved from my old web site to my new opencart site. My desire was to have cell phone formatting and more modern SEO. The cell phone formatting worked out well. SEO not so much. My sales have tanked. Is there something I need to do get back in business? What have I missed?
This is not enough info to give you suggestions.

Which version of opencart are you using? Are you using seo urls and keyword rich ones? Did you do 301 redirects from your old urls to your current ones (at least for your best selling products)? Did you use great, keyword rich titles, product names, and write good descriptions.

There are a ton of factors that affect rankings and sales and it takes time to properly build them. You might want to read thru an seo and opencart topic I started a while ago at viewtopic.php?t=80716 and other forums as well as moz and other sites that give great information on how to do seo.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by fmw » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:10 am

2.3. I filled in the SEO URL fields in the form for each products but I don't know how a search engine would get to them. My descriptions are designed to be accurate with no thought to SEO. I don't know what a 301 redirect is so I'm sure I didn't do that. There is nothing in the old site that isn't in the new one. I'm dead in the water. I'll send my first mass mailing on Friday. It will be the first one since the new site launched. Perhaps that will motivate something.

fmw

Post by labeshops » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:01 am

fmw wrote:2.3. I filled in the SEO URL fields in the form for each products but I don't know how a search engine would get to them. My descriptions are designed to be accurate with no thought to SEO. I don't know what a 301 redirect is so I'm sure I didn't do that. There is nothing in the old site that isn't in the new one. I'm dead in the water. I'll send my first mass mailing on Friday. It will be the first one since the new site launched. Perhaps that will motivate something.
Are your products displaying using the keywords? Did you turn on use seo urls and rename the htacess.txt file to remove the .txt?

Do a search in the forum for 301 redirects as it's been discussed many times. If you old site had any traffic or had links to them, you should redirect that traffic to the new pages on your new site.

If your site is functioning, then it's not dead in the water, you just need to work on getting traffic.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by fmw » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:23 pm

Thanks. Yes the old site (more than a decade old) had over 250,000 orders but all were deleted after being filled for security reasons. Using SEO URLs doesn't work. The problem could be that I am on a Microsoft server. Would it pay me to move to a Linux server?

fmw

Post by scannerman » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:48 pm

Chances are, all your URLS may have changed and search engines are finding a lot of their index now lead to 404. First step - check your search console

Post by Vick2016 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:25 pm

You'd better keep the original URL unchanged

Post by labeshops » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:19 pm

fmw wrote:Thanks. Yes the old site (more than a decade old) had over 250,000 orders but all were deleted after being filled for security reasons. Using SEO URLs doesn't work. The problem could be that I am on a Microsoft server. Would it pay me to move to a Linux server?
That I do not know. I know nothing about microsoft servers - may be something else you have to do to make them work on one.

The redirects are for products, not orders. If for example someone pinned one of your products on pinterest, the link will be broken when someone tries to go to your store now which costs you a sale. A 301 redirect will take that link and open it properly on your new store so you can still benefit from the pin.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by fmw » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:00 am

OK. I'm not sure I'm up for dealing with linking over 5000 products but I will look into it. The poster above may have a point that the search engines need to have some time to clean things up. They need to delete the dead links and create some new ones. Perhaps things will clean up a little by themselves going forward. The site visits are doubling each day so at least there is some improvement. Not much since it isn't very hard to improve on nothing. I also found that early visitors were unable to check out because I had the shipping cost mis-configured. I tried to limit my flat rate charge to U.S. only and that didn't work. I bought a snazzy extension that allows multiple flat rate categories and that cleaned everything up and allowed for charges for international orders. On the first day I had a handful of people register accounts but there were no orders from them. Now know why. We plug onward. Thanks for the feedback.

fmw

Post by JJesica » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:26 am

I think you can get back, but don't change meta tags, urls and header name, what do you think ?

agencia de viajes a la india | viaje a la india

Location - India

Post by labeshops » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:34 am

fmw wrote:OK. I'm not sure I'm up for dealing with linking over 5000 products but I will look into it. The poster above may have a point that the search engines need to have some time to clean things up. They need to delete the dead links and create some new ones. Perhaps things will clean up a little by themselves going forward. The site visits are doubling each day so at least there is some improvement. Not much since it isn't very hard to improve on nothing. I also found that early visitors were unable to check out because I had the shipping cost mis-configured. I tried to limit my flat rate charge to U.S. only and that didn't work. I bought a snazzy extension that allows multiple flat rate categories and that cleaned everything up and allowed for charges for international orders. On the first day I had a handful of people register accounts but there were no orders from them. Now know why. We plug onward. Thanks for the feedback.
You should login to bing and google webmaster tools, delete any existing sitemaps and submit your new ones. It will speed up the re-indexing process (I also manually resubmit the site map any time I make a LOT of changes or add a lot of new products).

You should have been able to limit your flat rate to US only if you set up the US geo zone/other zones correctly, but at least it is working. Always do a test order from your store when you think it is done to catch those sorts of things.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by fmw » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:01 am

I agree with that. First I need to deal with a site speed problem. I may need to move it again to a Linux server.

fmw

Post by docrown » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:17 pm

labeshops wrote:
fmw wrote:OK. I'm not sure I'm up for dealing with linking over 5000 products but I will look into it. The poster above may have a point that the search engines need to have some time to clean things up. They need to delete the dead links and create some new ones. Perhaps things will clean up a little by themselves going forward. The site visits are doubling each day so at least there is some improvement. Not much since it isn't very hard to improve on nothing. I also found that early visitors were unable to check out because I had the shipping cost mis-configured. I tried to limit my flat rate charge to U.S. only and that didn't work. I bought a snazzy extension that allows multiple flat rate categories and that cleaned everything up and allowed for charges for international orders. On the first day I had a handful of people register accounts but there were no orders from them. Now know why. We plug onward. Thanks for the feedback.
You should login to bing and google webmaster tools, delete any existing sitemaps and submit your new ones. It will speed up the re-indexing process (I also manually resubmit the site map any time I make a LOT of changes or add a lot of new products).

You should have been able to limit your flat rate to US only if you set up the US geo zone/other zones correctly, but at least it is working. Always do a test order from your store when you think it is done to catch those sorts of things.
I agree with him, lets check your Google webmaster tools, I think there are something problem with it.

CROWNHORECA – Pusat Peralatan Bakery, Dapur dan Mesin Pendingin Komersial untuk Kebutuhan Industri HORECA. Kunjungi crownhoreca.com