Post by Boppe » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:15 pm

I'm running OC 1.5.5.1 and it works fine. Now I feel the need for starting to use OC 2.3.
I've been reading the forum for several days about migrating and upgrading. Obviously it won't be an easy task.

The situation is like this. My webshop has only about 50 products but a lot of images. I'm a hopeless dummy when it comes to mess with codes or databases.

QUESTION NR 1: What would be the best way for me to achieve OC 2.3?
1. Trying to migrate using an update script, create new database etc and risk getting a major clusterf*ck.
2. Doing a clean install of OC 2.3 and starting from scratch adding all the products etc.

QUESTION NR 2: Reading this article, about upgrading to 2.2 in 3 Easy Steps, it seems very easy to do an upgrade. True or not?
https://isenselabs.com/posts/how-to-upg ... easy-steps

Thanks for any help given.

Post by artcore » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:00 pm

It has been said before, but to prevent headaches and downtime!

- ask yourself what you gain from upgrading. Customers don't care about your cms version ;)
- check if your extensions if any, are ready for 2.3x
- take a full backup through your hosting panel.
- export your database (using eg phpmyadmin) create a new database and import the current one into it.
- create a test installation in a subfolder from your current shop. You can copy the entire contents from public_html to public_html/test (assuming you're on a cPanel controlled hosting) and edit both config.php files to reflect the new test path and new database credentials.

Do a test to make sure nothing affects the current shop!

Play around with upgrade scripts until you are error free-ish ;D
Once happy move the /test to your main domain.

Or...install 2302 in a subfolder and use import/export tools to migrate your data. My personal preference.

I understand you need some knowledge and experience to do this but it's fairly straighforward. The forum has countless posts about these.
Hope this helps,
Cheers

Attn: I no longer provide OpenCart extensions, nor future support - this includes forum posts.
Reason: OpenCart version 3+ ;D

Thanks!

Location - The Netherlands

Post by paulfeakins » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:01 pm

Boppe wrote:2. Doing a clean install of OC 2.3 and starting from scratch adding all the products etc.
Personally, I would say this is the best way to go.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by Boppe » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:48 pm

Thanks artcore and paulfeakins for your feedback. Truly appreciated.

Artcore, what you describe sounds logic, but I can only imagine what kind of errors that might turn up in the upgrade process.

Paulfeakins, a clean installation means more work adding everything from scratch. Am I right that a clean installation would mean less problems to encounter, compared to trying to upgrade?

A bit of shame that a clean installation means that I will lose my order history etc.

Post by artcore » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:53 am

It doesn't hurt to try an upgrade. I do read it's mostly working with a few fixes left and right.
But try it on a test installation!

Attn: I no longer provide OpenCart extensions, nor future support - this includes forum posts.

Thanks!

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:54 am

You can upload the 2.3.0.2 files in a sub directory along with a copy of your database and copy the image files over to image/catalog so they will load. The upgrade script with v2.3.0.2 works just fine.

If you're uncomfortable with performing the upgrade, you can hire someone, such as our company or post in the commercial forum section for another developer willing to do the work.

2 Week FREE Trial of our Shared Hosting plans (DIrectAdmin or cPanel) for new customers
2 Week FREE Trial of Astra Firewall and Malware Scanner
Visit our website for full details and to start your trial today - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by dmsims » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:07 pm

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES FOLLOW THIS STUPID ADVICE

IT WILL NOT WORK

If you do it your database will be overwritten and you will end up with demo data
EvolveWebHosting wrote:You can upload the 2.3.0.2 files in a sub directory along with a copy of your database and copy the image files over to image/catalog so they will load. The upgrade script with v2.3.0.2 works just fine.

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:08 pm

dmsims wrote:UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES FOLLOW THIS STUPID ADVICE

IT WILL NOT WORK

If you do it your database will be overwritten and you will end up with demo data
EvolveWebHosting wrote:You can upload the 2.3.0.2 files in a sub directory along with a copy of your database and copy the image files over to image/catalog so they will load. The upgrade script with v2.3.0.2 works just fine.
Did you miss the part where I said 'WITH A COPY OF YOUR DATABASE'? I'm telling him to export his database into a sql file, create a new database and import the sql file into it. When he does this, his live site is not in harms way. We do these upgrades on a daily basis and we're more than confident with the process and how to do it without any issues.

2 Week FREE Trial of our Shared Hosting plans (DIrectAdmin or cPanel) for new customers
Visit our website for full details and to start your trial today - www.evolvewebhost.com

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:37 pm

IT WILL NOT WORK

You will only end up with the demo data if you start out with a brand new database and not a copy of your existing database. I think you need to better understand the process before you begin saying someone elses advice is STUPID.

Post by Boppe » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:36 pm

Thanks all of you.

I think I will try to do an upgrade.

Is this the right procedure?
1. Copy DB.
2. Download all files from the root directory.
3. Download 2.3.0.2.
4. Create new DB and import the old DB.
5. Create a subfolder for the test shop.
6. Upload 2.3.0.2 to the test folder, everything except the two config files.
7. Install.

Will I need an upgrade script to upgrade from 1.5.5.1 to 2.3.0.2?
There is an Qphoria upgrade script for 2.2.0.0.
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=159898
Is there any upgrade script for 2.3.0.2?

Post by dmsims » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:50 am

YOU ARE THE STUPID ONE

If you do what you say you will end up with an overwritten database - FACT

You left out the part where you MUST copy the old config.php files as well

EvolveWebHosting wrote:

IT WILL NOT WORK

You will only end up with the demo data if you start out with a brand new database and not a copy of your existing database. I think you need to better understand the process before you begin saying someone elses advice is STUPID.

Post by artcore » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:26 pm

Below outline is for copying your current site to a test location after which you can abuse it all you want.

1. Take a full backup, files/databases/everything
-. Check size of /home/public_html dir in backup. Does your hosting have space left to host a copy?
No? Maybe without images? No? Use XAMP or WAMP

2. Create directory that will contain the copy of your shop. eg /test/
-. The fastest way of copying files is to use the hosting filemanager. To prevent mishaps I don't recommend to just copy the files from root(e.g. public_html) to the new test folder, but to zip it first. Move the zip to - and extract in public_html/test/
3. Create new database. You can use the same database user or create a new user with access rights for the new DB.
-. Edit both config.php that are now extracted to /test/, /test/admin/ to reflect the new database name, user and password
-. Change all paths to include /test/
e.g.
define('HTTP_SERVER','http://yourdomain.com/test/');
...etc
define('DIR_CATALOG','home/account/public_html/test/catalog');
...etc
4. Change .htaccess rewriteBase from '/' to '/test/'
-. or just rename it to htaccess.txt for now

Visit yourdomain.com/test
Works? Go to test/admin and change something silly.
Visit both shops and verify you are indeed changing the test instance.

5. Download 2.3.0.2. Which by now is probably 3.0.x ;D
6. Upload 2.3.0.2 to the test folder, everything except the two config files.
-. they are config_dist.php anyway so no worries about overwriting.

7. Install.

I've never used upgrade scripts but now is your time to play with them and tell us how it went :D

Change emails to prevent inadvertently mailing customers from the test shop!
Be aware of hard coded links to your current shop. I usually open .sql from the backup mysql folder, and do a search/replace all these links to have /test appended. You don't want to click something in your test, end up at the wrong site and change the live shop by mistake!

I also usually save session data to my own folder in system/tmp for instance but that is not neccesary.

disclaimer: law of Murphy!

Thanks!

Post by Boppe » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:21 pm

Thanks a lot Artcore.

I've spent the night reading in the forum about problems others encountered when doing an upgrade.

I've decided to do a clean install instead of an upgrade.

Post by artcore » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:55 pm

NP, it might come in handy for other forum members too ;)

Take note that having a testshop with the exact same shop version is still handy for testing extensions a.o. but I don't upgrade the shops I manage either. I prefer a new install as well.

Thanks!

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:54 am

dmsims wrote:YOU ARE THE STUPID ONE

If you do what you say you will end up with an overwritten database - FACT

You left out the part where you MUST copy the old config.php files as well

[/quote]

I will say that I could have been more clear by saying the config files needed to be copied over BUT I did say the 'upgrade script' and not the 'install script'. My apologies for that. I really appreciate how non professional you were in just calling me STUPID (sarcasm there).

Post by Boppe » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:39 am

artcore wrote:NP, it might come in handy for other forum members too ;)

Take note that having a testshop with the exact same shop version is still handy for testing extensions a.o. but I don't upgrade the shops I manage either. I prefer a new install as well.
I'm happy I chose to make a new clean install. This far everything is going very smooth and no headaches. Just a lot of work.

Post by artcore » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:04 am

Great to hear! Go Boppe! (Dutch expression from the Northern part, I think ;D )

Thanks!