Post by AmericanFizz » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:12 pm

Hello,

We are using 1.5.6 with PayPal Standard. We have noticed that when the information is transported to PayPal, it only takes the first 99 items with it. We had a customer order around 300 items from us and they were only charged for the first 99. I have checked this on our website and it seems to be that opencart is only transferring 99 items.

Is there a way to turn the itemised option off or increase the limit?

Post by AmericanFizz » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:19 pm

It seems this issue is caused by PayPal who have a limit of 99 on itemised invoicing.

Can we turn this feature off somehow?

Post by fido-x » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:19 am

As you already stated:
AmericanFizz wrote:It seems this issue is caused by PayPal who have a limit of 99 on itemised invoicing.
This means that there is nothing that can be done in OpenCart other than applying a restriction on the number of products a customer may purchase in a single order.

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by AmericanFizz » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:38 pm

fido-x wrote:As you already stated:
AmericanFizz wrote:It seems this issue is caused by PayPal who have a limit of 99 on itemised invoicing.
This means that there is nothing that can be done in OpenCart other than applying a restriction on the number of products a customer may purchase in a single order.
No, OpenCart just needs to send the final payment information to PayPal, not the itemised invoice.

Post by fido-x » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:40 am

AmericanFizz wrote:No, OpenCart just needs to send the final payment information to PayPal, not the itemised invoice.
This is NOT a bug. It is reasonable to assume that the customer would prefer to see an itemised list of what they are paying for when they get to PayPal (or any other payment gateway).

Yes, your OpenCart setup could probably be modified to send just the order total through to PayPal. If this is what you want, I suggest you post a request in the "Commercial Support" section of the forum instead of reporting "personal preferences" as bugs!

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member

Post by AmericanFizz » Mon May 11, 2015 5:39 pm

fido-x wrote:
AmericanFizz wrote:No, OpenCart just needs to send the final payment information to PayPal, not the itemised invoice.
This is NOT a bug. It is reasonable to assume that the customer would prefer to see an itemised list of what they are paying for when they get to PayPal (or any other payment gateway).

Yes, your OpenCart setup could probably be modified to send just the order total through to PayPal. If this is what you want, I suggest you post a request in the "Commercial Support" section of the forum instead of reporting "personal preferences" as bugs!
Of course it is a bug! What on earth are you talking about personal preference? I'll explain it in a more dumbed down version to make it easier for you to understand :o

Yes it is reasonable to assume that the customer would prefer to see an itemised list, however as PayPal only supports a maximum of 99 itemised items, it means that any items after this will not be charged for!

This means any OpenCart store that takes an order via PayPal with over 99 items on, will only recieve payment for the first 99 items.

Say for example a store sells many cheap items, for example a sweet shop (like ourselves), somebody selling digital downloads, or any small items like stationery, gifts, etc. Say an item is £0.20. The customer could add 99 of these to their cart at a cost of £19.80. The customer could then add several high value items, for example, a £50.00 item, a £70.00 item and a £35.00 item. The total bill for the customer would be £174.80 however the customer will only be charged £19.80.

It is therefore clearly a bug, as it affects every single OpenCart installation, particuarly vendors who list a combination of low value and high value items, and has nothing to do with personal preference.

The correct fix for this would be for OpenCart to automatically switch from itemised PayPal billing, to one lump payment once the cart reaches 99 items.

I hope this is clear enough for you this time... :crazy:

Post by labeshops » Mon May 11, 2015 8:31 pm

I seriously doubt many of us have more than 99 items ordered on one order (most I get is 20-30) and yes, I agree it is a bug - but with Paypal, not with opencart. Most likely opencart is sending all items and Paypal is truncating it as again, most stores they work with don't get this many different items on 1 order.

Either way, this is not really something most opencart shops would have an issue with so you really should hire a developer to work within Paypal's limitations.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by AmericanFizz » Mon May 11, 2015 11:31 pm

labeshops wrote:I seriously doubt many of us have more than 99 items ordered on one order (most I get is 20-30) and yes, I agree it is a bug - but with Paypal, not with opencart. Most likely opencart is sending all items and Paypal is truncating it as again, most stores they work with don't get this many different items on 1 order.

Either way, this is not really something most opencart shops would have an issue with so you really should hire a developer to work within Paypal's limitations.
Like I said, it is not a bug with PayPal, it is a feature limitation of PayPal that applies to absolutely anybody who uses PayPal as a payment method. It is instead a bug with OpenCart as it does not cater for this occurance.

It may well be uncommon to get 99 items, but I am sure there are plenty of people using OpenCart who do get that many orders. Not to mention, you'd simply need at least 99 low value items available in your store for somebody to take advantage of this and leave you significantly out of pocket if you are not on the ball.

All that needs to be done is for OpenCart to switch from itemised to single payment amount when 99 items are reached.

Post by labeshops » Tue May 12, 2015 2:12 am

As I said, it's not a common issue - or at least not common enough for it to be changed in the core (though since v2 has paypal as a payment partner and is more tightly integrated, I don't know if it is something that has been addressed by Paypal. You might submit it to them to see). You will probably need to hire someone to customize the paypal module for you.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by fido-x » Tue May 12, 2015 4:32 pm

AmericanFizz wrote: Say for example a store sells many cheap items, for example a sweet shop (like ourselves), somebody selling digital downloads, or any small items like stationery, gifts, etc. Say an item is £0.20. The customer could add 99 of these to their cart at a cost of £19.80. The customer could then add several high value items, for example, a £50.00 item, a £70.00 item and a £35.00 item. The total bill for the customer would be £174.80 however the customer will only be charged £19.80.
Please allow me to "dumb down" your "dumbed down" example so that you can understand. In the shopping cart your customer has placed:
  • One item @ £0.20 (quantity 99)
    One item @ £50.00 (quantity 1)
    One item @ £70.00 (quantity 1) and
    One item @ £35.00 (quantity 1)
This adds up to four items, one of which has a quantity of 99 pieces, but still, only four items. Sure, in a "bricks and mortar" shop, this would be 102 items, but OpenCart isn't built out of bricks and mortar! The product is the "item", the quantity is an attribute of that "item" (or product).

If PayPal is counting the quantity of each item as an individual item, then the bug is at the PayPal end of the transaction NOT at the OpenCart end. This is NOT a bug in OpenCart!
AmericanFizz wrote: The correct fix for this would be for OpenCart to automatically switch from itemised PayPal billing, to one lump payment once the cart reaches 99 items.
If you think this is the way OpenCart should behave, then post it in the "Feature Requests".

If YOU want OpenCart to send the order total through as a single lump sum, rather than an itemised list, then THAT is a matter of personal preference. and I suggest you post in the "Commercial Support" area to hire a developer to make the modifications you want.

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member

Post by davidcropley » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:39 am

Please allow me to "dumb down" your "dumbed down" example so that you can understand. In the shopping cart your customer has placed:

One item @ £0.20 (quantity 99)
One item @ £50.00 (quantity 1)
One item @ £70.00 (quantity 1) and
One item @ £35.00 (quantity 1)
Why not offer "one item @ 0.20" in packs of 10 ie. "oneitem x10 @2.00" so then they can buy 9 of these instead of 90?

Post by bradch00 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:58 am

It's a bug. We have over 700+ designs, which our customers can chose from, each design is unique and they can order any number of them. Each selection in the shopping cart of each design is a line in the invoice. The payPal limitation is a bug in that, if it does not reach an EOF, it should at the very least, error out to the calling program and terminate the transaction instead of completing it with a partial order.

Post by gmurillo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:00 am

Hi,

I have this similar problem, but in my case the limit is 20 items. If the customer add a 21 item line, when he goes to pay, the paypal page is shown in blank.

Anybody knows how fix this problem? :(

Thanks

Post by ADD Creative » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:50 pm

You would need to modify the PayPal Standard payment module to only pass the final total and not all items.

There is a vQmod for this, but it might need updating for your version.
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 54#p300354

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by ErvinMartin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:48 pm

why we cant add more than 20 items in the cart?

Lake Grande

Location - Walnut, CA