Post by James » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:26 pm

We're always looking to improve OpenCart, and we'd love to hear your thoughts on OpenCart 2.0 and its new features. Please answer the below questions in the comments - if you have a suggestion that you'd like to see included in future versions of OpenCart, please add it to our suggestions page: opencart.uservoice.com

1. Have you used 2.0 yet? If so:
  • Would you recommend 2.0 to your clients?
  • Do you prefer the 1.5.* branch or the 2.0.* branch?
  • What are your favourite new features from OpenCart 2.0?
  • Are there any features from 1.5.6.4 that would you like to see added to 2.0?
2. Have you used OCmod? If so, is there anything about OCmod that you would like to see improved?

3. Would you be interested in an integrated extension store? (i.e, browse and purchase extensions straight from your store's admin area)

4. Would you use a job posting board on OpenCart.com?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Location - Leeds, UK

Post by ocmobi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:28 pm

Answers included inline below,
James wrote:We're always looking to improve OpenCart, and we'd love to hear your thoughts on OpenCart 2.0 and its new features. Please answer the below questions in the comments - if you have a suggestion that you'd like to see included in future versions of OpenCart, please add it to our suggestions page: opencart.uservoice.com

• Would you recommend 2.0 to your clients? Yes, if they are already using Opencart
  • Do you prefer the 1.5.* branch or the 2.0.* branch? 2.0, adopting HTML5 and responsiveness is huge. It catches up to modern implementations and expectations
  • What are your favourite new features from OpenCart 2.0? Custom fields, makes users and addresses flexible enough to meet a lot of needs without relying on overrides or hacks
  • Are there any features from 1.5.6.4 that would you like to see added to 2.0? Nothing I'm sad about
2. Have you used OCmod? If so, is there anything about OCmod that you would like to see improved?
Unfortunately I never agreed with VQMOD, and I don't agree with OCMod. Overrides exposes a huge flaw in the design and implementation of Opencart. Just like hacks aren't portable, neither are overrides. If you look at modern PHP frameworks like joomla, symphony, laraval, improving MVC and code implementation to turn the system into something extendable and pluggable is preferred and would be the right path to go down. This to me should have been the effort and not OCMod. Not trying to be rude, just giving a developer opinion. I'd love to see a framework introduced in the future and more effort done to re-tune the base code, a lot of frameworks support things that are currently problematic like MVC, plugins, language, templating, etc. so it would be effortless and a lot of code could be thrown away and just integrated into a framework to lessen the blow.

**Edit, forgot to mention about view/template overrides. Now there is a need for this visually, and comes up in almost any system. Being able to override visually is nice, and when stuff is properly MVC'ed it's easy to touch a view only, so if overrides were limited to views than I see the need for this and tweaking a small view is way more portable and manageable than overriding code (which I don't agree with) :).

3. Would you be interested in an integrated extension store? (i.e, browse and purchase extensions straight from your store's admin area) Yes, this is the trend with a lot of other CMS and Shopping carts. Especially there was an easy update system devs could subscribe to so updates were known and easily added into your system just by notifying you an update is available (same with opencart). The extension section also needs to be more flexible it doesn't really capture what devs can do with Opencart so modelling of Joomla, wordpress, or prestashop extension areas can be useful.

Not really, but others might

I'm a PHP developer as well as mobile, I'd be interested in consulting or joining the team to give my experiences on other systems I've worked with and how Opencart can make leaps and strides to elevate it's code base. Thus also making more features being discussed here a lot easier. I think Opencart definitely needs to move to plugin architecture, event driven system, and a nicer MVC implementation which has now become the standard for web and it doesn't have to be from scratch it can just adopt a framework. And I'd love to be part of something like this, I think it would inspire devs as well and get more of a buzz and participation in Opencart too.

Please take this as constructive criticism, I've worked with a lot of CMS and shopping carts and a ton of PHP, And I've done opencart a lot lately.
Last edited by ocmobi on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

OCMobi - Opencart 1x and 2x native mobile applications, developer SDKs, Rest API, and custom services. Email us at support@ocmobi.com!

Pricing | Features | Custom Services
Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram

Post by Dhaupin » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:16 pm

• Would you recommend 2.0 to your clients? - OC has no LTS releases, so you are wise to recommend the newest major version for new clients who dont need a bunch of legacy mods. OC 2.x is worth it for the API users and events alone.
  • Do you prefer the 1.5.* branch or the 2.0.* branch? - They are pretty much the same thing under the hood, with better faster stronger features in 2.x and a more flexible means to work with theming. From a UX perspective, custom theming is one of the biggest limits in 1.5x. The stylesheet and template [html] schema was too locked up and stagnant to be used as a proper override base, and changing to custom theme increased F&R failure liability by a substantial amount. In 2.x better scheme, common classes, and included libs make flexible UX a realistic endeavor.
  • What are your favourite new features from OpenCart 2.0? - More flexy UX, the new API, the new events, better send var to TPL, and how ya'll renamed the update() functions to edit() instead :)
  • Are there any features from 1.5.6.4 that would you like to see added to 2.0? - Are there any features you missed besides that bloaty buggy OpenBay? Honestly in a *mod environment like this, you need more common spots for helper functions. This would help a million fold. Example is a canvas preaction() called after SEO urls, a common library for things like addTimestamp() and ifDo(), a common remote for multistore (frontside) JSONP admin auths (or PCI compliant logouts), turning common.js into common.js.php to become editable, and proper construction classes from CSS so that all these devs stop putting inline junk styles all over the place. (bootstrap is NOT a construct lib and cant be easily used to class up mods on granular basis). I guess i will append this mega useful function too: $this->document->addScriptFooter()....BOOM!
2. Have you used OCmod? If so, is there anything about OCmod that you would like to see improved? - OCMod (and vQmod) (and events) (and any other actions like that) absolutely need a priority of render order. Mods name their files so bad and that affects how the mods render in chained order. Example, someone may have a util that should render into the parse cache before anything else....but perhaps the dev started the name of his mod with a V or Z.... Or perhaps you discover a conflict between 2 mods. You rename one of them to render before the other....now you have renamed a file. The next update you will have doubles if you forget about the rename. It hits the fan real quick. As far as event priority goes, check the Wordpress add_action(). Its still based on file order at its root, but it works better than nothing.

3. Would you be interested in an integrated extension store? (i.e, browse and purchase extensions straight from your store's admin area) - Yes as long as its curated, validated, and all the mods have FORCED demo links that MUST BE online

4. Would you use a job posting board on OpenCart.com? - Yes as long as the Indians dont flood spam it with their SEO bullshat and drive away all the real clients. Its easy for them to ruin a legit board with that "job spam".

Thanks in advance for your help! <-- no no, thank you for your time maintaining OC!
Last edited by Dhaupin on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

https://creadev.org | support@creadev.org - Opencart Extensions, Integrations, & Development. Made in the USA.

Location - PA

Post by Qphoria » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:24 am

James wrote: 1. Have you used 2.0 yet? If so:
  • Would you recommend 2.0 to your clients? Yes. It seems stable enough and people are updating the mods that matter now.
  • Do you prefer the 1.5.* branch or the 2.0.* branch? 2.x has now become the preferred.
  • What are your favourite new features from OpenCart 2.0? HTML5, responsive themes, improved module layout system
  • Are there any features from 1.5.6.4 that would you like to see added to 2.0? Were things removed?
vQmod wasn't broke, and ocmod doesn't fix it. I am obviously biased, but nothing beats the flexibility of copying a file into a folder to activate a mod and removing it to disable it. It's fast, functional, and tangible. The whole database complexity is a big turn off for me. I tend to agree with ocmobi, as far as the core goes... the core should have a proper override system like JNeuhoffs Override system. It uses proper child classing and has more structure. vQmod is still very important and useful but should be left as a 3rd party addon, even if support was added for it in the core. Think of vQmod more like jQuery.. you interface with it, but you don't reinvent it. We don't need an "ocmod" anymore than we need an "ocQuery". I'll likely never use it as vQmod works the same as it always has with 2.x already.

3. Would you be interested in an integrated extension store? (i.e, browse and purchase extensions straight from your store's admin area) Absolutely. Convenience is king!

Certainly

Administrator

Post by beipink » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:48 pm

1. Have you used 2.0 yet? If so: - only offline so far - will use online probably from 2.0.2.x on
- Would you recommend 2.0 to your clients? Yes. Now for new projects and in few month to upgrade from 1.5.x where possible
Do you prefer the 1.5.* branch or the 2.0.* branch? starting to get used to 2. I don't quite see the benefit of a responsive template in the back-end. I suppose we all use OC back-end for work and most of the time that would be from a pc rather than a mobile or tablet
What are your favourite new features from OpenCart 2.0?Responsive template out of the box in the front-end.
Are there any features from 1.5.6.4 that would you like to see added to 2.0?I only noticed that orders edit time limit has been removed. I would have left that in place, the same to most of the tabs positions and layouts in back-end. Other than that I haven't noticed other changes
2. Have you used OCmod? If so, is there anything about OCmod that you would like to see improved?nope, my modifications are made in VQmode and I prefer to stick with one system only. That said, I wish for an OCmod which is compatible with VQmod and all mods can be merged.

3. Would you be interested in an integrated extension store? (i.e, browse and purchase extensions straight from your store's admin area)No way. I don't buy mods every second day. A link to OC store on opencart.com is more than enough

4. Would you use a job posting board on OpenCart.com?Yes, I would introduce a competitive subscription Fee for users to be able post a service + rating from users and OC monitoring of the overall system. Ideally, you would like to make it as professional as possible so that can be a very trusted area

Final thoughts, I think that OC is well establised now and it should seek and follow its own path rather than looking at other projects choices. In my opinion it would be worth making the current system more and more flexible with API and easy to use tools to export data out of OC. Shop owners need to somehow transfer data on to other applications such as CRMs, marketing and sales tools, accounting, warehousing etc etc.

Post by rph » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:52 pm

Have you used 2.0 yet?

Yes.

Would you recommend 2.0 to your clients?

No. Releases are too unstable and poorly documented. v2.0.2.0 had an undocumented API break of both ocMod and the mail system. That's totally unacceptable.

Do you prefer the 1.5.* branch or the 2.0.* branch?

No strong preference either way.

What are your favourite new features from OpenCart 2.0?

Responsive theme.

Are there any features from 1.5.6.4 that would you like to see added to 2.0?

Nothing comes immediately to mind.

Have you used OCmod? If so, is there anything about OCmod that you would like to see improved?

Yes, and it's lacking. I would very strongly prefer a traditional extension system. ocMod is a poor solution for third-party development. But if it's going to be the standard then:
  • A well-documented and stable API is an absolute must. ocMod has neither.
  • Fix logging so it's actually useful for troubleshooting. It's so unhelpful right now you have to debug directly in ControllerExtensionModification::refresh().
  • Fix the modification installer so it will also accept install.ocmod.xml in zip packages. Right now it only looks for install.xml which is an annoying inconsistency.
  • The system overall is very slow and tedious given the amount of reloading or manual collection you have to do. I can build a modest website with a microframework like Silex in the time it takes to make an extension of moderate complexity for OpenCart. It seems fairly obvious Daniel has never used the extension system to make anything himself.
Would you be interested in an integrated extension store? (i.e, browse and purchase extensions straight from your store's admin area)

It would be a great opportunity. Add automatic updates while you're at it. :)

Would you use a job posting board on OpenCart.com?

A place for store owners to find trusted developers (emphasis on trusted) would be very useful to many.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by i2Paq » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:45 pm

James wrote:We're always looking to improve OpenCart, and we'd love to hear your thoughts on OpenCart 2.0 and its new features.
I do not want to rain on your parade here; but what is done with all the promises made to us in the past about OC 2.x?

All the tips etc. we have given and positive faith we have put up?

The way the releases are done, the way BUG and Features are handled etc. etc.

It is crap as always and we, users, coders, customers and mods, are yet again victims of this.

It is nice that you organize a AMA on Reddit, but why not listen to your users, extensions coders and other customers here?
And do something with it!
We are your own community and instead of looking like a preacher who preaches for a guest parochial spreading the word how "great OC 2.x is" this whole community here knows that is a lot of BS.

Take the upgrade.txt with every 2.0 release. It is a plain lie and gets shop-owners in serious problems!!
This has been mentioned times and time again; still it has not changed and is there with every release!!

There is no 1-2-3 upgrade-script!

I'm running multiple stores and would love to move to 2.x (I need to!!!) but up until now no 2.x release is worth looking at.
Yes, ask most coders and they will tell you the same thing. Every new 2.0 release breaks backward compatibility, changes things back and forth again. This is not base for trust in an new release!
And certainly not a reason to upgrade to 2.0.

Your OpenCart Questions / Survey post here shows that "you" have learned nothing from the past and makes me fell I am fooled yet again by a topic trying to "motivate" us in answering when we know from the past nothing will change.

Sorry for me sounding sarcastic/critical but I have been around here for a long time, still hoping that things will really change. "some day".......

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu May 21, 2015 5:57 am

James wrote: 1. Have you used 2.0 yet? If so:
  • Would you recommend 2.0 to your clients? Not yet
  • Do you prefer the 1.5.* branch or the 2.0.* branch? No preference for either version. Though the responsive web theme in OC2 is a good start, it is still cumbersome to modify template files, OC2 should have used XHTML5 so that 3rd party extensions can modify templates using XML parsers
  • What are your favourite new features from OpenCart 2.0? Responsive web theme, the beginning of a plugin system in the form of events as per a mediator design pattern (though it's quite limited at the moment)
  • Are there any features from 1.5.6.4 that would you like to see added to 2.0? No, I'd rather see some bits removed from the core, such as OpenBay
2. Have you used OCmod? If so, is there anything about OCmod that you would like to see improved? Yes, a few times, and it's still like a moving goal post, and offers no advantages over VQmod, see the vQmod To OCMod Conversion Thread for more details. Having said that, I am using the Override Engine for new OpenCart websites :)

3. Would you be interested in an integrated extension store? (i.e, browse and purchase extensions straight from your store's admin area) Not yet, first OpenCart needs a proper install, uninstall, upgrade and plugin systems

4. Would you use a job posting board on OpenCart.com? Maybe

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by MilesWeb » Tue May 26, 2015 8:54 pm

I would surely recommend OpenCart 2.0 to people because of the new and exiting features added in it. Some of the most interesting features include responsive design, Bootstrap3 integration, font support, virtual file modification, intuitive dashboard, more payment gateways etc. OpenCart 2.0 will simplify things for the online store owners.

MilesWeb.com : OpenCart Hosting

Post by snappyfish » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:10 am

i2Paq wrote:
James wrote:We're always looking to improve OpenCart, and we'd love to hear your thoughts on OpenCart 2.0 and its new features.
Take the upgrade.txt with every 2.0 release. It is a plain lie and gets shop-owners in serious problems!!
This has been mentioned times and time again; still it has not changed and is there with every release!!

There is no 1-2-3 upgrade-script!
Exaclty! shop-owners in serious problems

Post by Dave5000 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:28 pm

Would you recommend 2.0 to your clients? Yes, I'm currently running a store on 2.0.3.1
Do you prefer the 1.5.* branch or the 2.0.* branch? I started off using 1.5 and upgraded to 2.0 later, I prefer 2.0
What are your favourite new features from OpenCart 2.0? The fully responsive themes and like the easier way to install extensions
Are there any features from 1.5.6.4 that would you like to see added to 2.0? I thought they were all added

2. Have you used OCmod? If so, is there anything about OCmod that you would like to see improved? I'm not sure if I've used this yet

3. Would you be interested in an integrated extension store? (i.e, browse and purchase extensions straight from your store's admin area) Yes definitely if it allows a way for users to add an extension without having to download, modify files then upload.

4. Would you use a job posting board on OpenCart.com? Yes for some jobs, my programming skills are limited (I'm just a store owner, not a coder). I'm not sure it would be an advantage to others but for people like myself it would be a great advantage, especially when needing help making major changes to my website or installing certain extensions that need a bit more work than just uploading.

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:28 am

1. Have you used 2.0 yet?
Yes a lot.

If so:

Would you recommend 2.0 to your clients?
Yes I am only developing new stores with 2.x.
2.0.x is my preference although getting some of the upgrades done have caused a few headaches
OCMod, the overall layout, responsive
I would have said the available extensions a couple of months ago but it looks like developers are getting caught up a lot more now.

I've used it to upload files but I haven't developed anything for it yet.

3. Would you be interested in an integrated extension store? (i.e, browse and purchase extensions straight from your store's admin area)
Possibly. There needs to be a way to quickly revert back to the working store if things go wrong after an install.

Yes

2 Week FREE Trial of our Shared Hosting plans (DIrectAdmin or cPanel) for new customers
2 Week FREE Trial of Astra Firewall and Malware Scanner
Visit our website for full details and to start your trial today - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by GoldenTongs » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:42 am

a. yes would recomend due to being lightweight
b. i only use 2.0, i did test 1.5 but actually was waiting for 1.6 before switching from cubecart,
but 1.6 never came, so i made switch when 2.0 was released.
c. Resposiveness, which is essential nowadays.
d. didnt test 1.5 enough to know what i am missing, but i doubt there is any.

2. yes, OCmod needs editor as standard (currently have free extension for this) also though OCmods needs to be screened to ensure they are in correct format, as many devs seem to ignore this and place ocmod.xml files in system folder etc. rather than having an upload folder and install.xml, also it would be nice to show what ocmods modify the same files so you can quickly look for any conflict.

3. Yes, this would be very good, but only if the extensions have been certified by OC, with all certified extensions being compatible with each other and all have good coding practice. You dont need all extensions intergrated, just the good ones from approved devs, more like an intergrated featured area, also support then for that extension would also be intergrated (although support would likely not be needed), and demos would be required etc. (basically what opencartx are trying to do by having known devs working together, with quality extensions under one roof)

4. yes, and would also like to see a poll or +1 for when somebody requests an extension, others would be able to add +1 to show devs there is a demand for that extension/feature

http://Lilphones.com

Post by adiproject » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:44 pm

Mmm...i'm still using oc1.5.6.4, i'm not familiar with 2.x .. alot deferent from 1.5 to 2.x and make me not using this oc2.x

jasa seo - jasa pembuatan website - jasa seo jakarta - web design jakarta - jasa seo profesional - web developer jakarta - jasa seo bandung - Kitchen Set - Kitchen Set Bandung - Kitchen Set Bandung

Post by soundzgood-nz » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:33 am

1. Have you used 2.0 yet?
Yes

If so, would you recommend 2.0 to your clients?
Not really ... I'm working on 2.1.0.1 in the hope it's a alot better

2.1 may be better, but 1.5.6.x branch still has plenty of extensions

responsive template, html5 / bootstrap usage,

Apart from extension compatibility lag (3rd party issue), nope

It gone ... no need; I use vqmod grudgingly - it's a hack in lieu of a decent framework. If there's going to be a continuation of using vqmod, someone needs to sort out prioritising order of xmls

It's standard in other carts ... even the dead-in-the-water Loaded Commerce 7 cart had it

Nah, they get flooded by spam ... unless it was strictly locked down

Simon

Location - New Zealand

Post by Randem » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:30 am

1. Have you used 2.0 yet? If so: v2.1.0.1 Yes, It is mostly hype though. Being truthful will go a long way with developers. Especially those who will help with design, development and quality control paths if allowed and not kept in the dark without information.

Would you recommend 2.0 to your clients? No. It is not ready yet. There are a lot of helpful developers out there to help, use them.

Do you prefer the 1.5.* branch or the 2.0.* branch? The 2.0 branch looks slicker but from attempting to use it I feel it should be in ALPHA testing. It is not ready for production yet. Too many basic things are not working.

What are your favorite new features from OpenCart 2.0? Can't get it to work properly to notice.

Are there any features from 1.5.6.4 that would you like to see added to 2.0? Can't get it to work properly to notice.

2. Have you used OCmod? If so, is there anything about OCmod that you would like to see improved? NO. But VQmod was good enough as to not to confuse users. Not good to have a NIH attitude.

3. Would you be interested in an integrated extension store? (i.e, browse and purchase extensions straight from your store's admin area) The extensions in the store do not give enough detail and technical information to entice someone to be interested or trust them, so until that happens where you can get them is moot. I want to know a lot about an extension before installing it on my system, especially if it is not VQMod ready. Especially if you have to purchase it before you can test it and have no remedy afterwards if it does not work.

4. Would you use a job posting board on OpenCart.com? What does this actually mean??? Get a job, contract work or what?

This is meant to be constructive criticism. If a community product wants to be great, some of the duties and responsibilities should be given to the experts and passed thru quality control as to no let the basic failures be presented in a release and if bugs are found give the community enough information that they can solve the issue and that solution can be implemented into OpenCart via an official update with logs so that everyone is not searching for the answers to the same issues.

NEVER take serious; anyone who gives negative impact statements with no ABSOLUTE proof!
OpenCart Helpful Information * Upgrade 1.5 to 2.1 * Upgrade 2.1 to 2.2
"Why do people NEVER have enough time to do it right but ALWAYS enough time to do it over?"
DO NOT EVER GIVE SOMEONE YOU DON"T KNOW ADMIN ACCESS TO ANYTHING!
I am NOT affiliated with OpenCart

Post by michael2820 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:34 am

Interesting reading, thanks to all the authors.

--- please reply only with verified data, that is: no 'I think', 'maybe' etc. ---

Location - Denmark ver. 2.1.0.2

Post by i2Paq » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:47 am

I'm going to close this topic because there is no response from the TS (Last visited: 11 Feb 2016, 17:28.).

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands