Post by CaptainHaddock » Thu May 26, 2016 11:28 am

My multistore is Opencart 1.5.5.1

What are the benefits of upgrading to latest Opencart v2 ?
What are the problems with upgrading?

Background:
I built my store about 3 years ago.
I have quite a lot of extensions installed, some I have never updated. I think it would be quite a lot of work to update them, test them, iron out any bugs etc etc

So I'm considering doing a fresh install of OC 2 on a different server, installing only extensions I need nowadays then migrating product and category data by bulk export / import using available extensions.

IS it worth upgrading now or should I leave it a while until Opencart 2 gets even better?

Cheers

Post by postidol » Thu May 26, 2016 2:16 pm

I find Opencart 2 to be much more streamlined and user-friendly.

And the fact that it's responsive (mobile-friendly) out of the box is a big plus as well, ever since Google's "mobile-geddon" last year.

It also has the Custom HTML extension built in which is great!

For those reasons alone I upgraded. But there are many more ;)

Hope that helps!

Post by CaptainHaddock » Fri May 27, 2016 5:44 am

Thanks Postidol, very helpful.

Is it faster than Opencart 1.5.5.1 ?

Is there any difference in the load it puts on the server e.g. does it need more or less Ram, CPU etc or is there no difference really.

Is Opencart 2 quite robust and stable now or are there significant bugs or functionality that are being worked on for future releases?

Any other benefits of OC2 vs OC 1.5.5.1 ?

Thanks all

Post by IP_CAM » Fri May 27, 2016 8:04 am

.... a fresh install of OC 2 on a different server, installing only extensions I need...
Good Thinking ! And on everything else, you will find out ! ;) Especially, when it comes to Extensions, because,
the Range of available OC-2 Extensions is still limited, and OC-2 still frequently changes in 'internal' design,
so forcing DEV's, to steady update existing V-2 Mod's to meet latest Spec's.
Is it faster than Opencart 1.5.5.1 ?
It depends on, what one has done already, in an older OC-Version, to unleash it's many (by default) hidden Horses.
I get about the same Overall results, using one of my refined (+ ~30 VqMods) v.1.5.6.5 OpenShop's with a responsive Theme, compared with a similarely tuned Oc v.2.2, with a handfull VqMods, and a default theme, and it's default Sample Cat's and Products. But OC-2 has not yet been tested by me with a few thousand Products, as I do it with OC v.1.5.6.x, so, I cannot really compare. 8)
Any other benefits of OC2 vs OC 1.5.5.1 ?
The greatest Benefit of OC v1.5.x is, that it only has to 'handle' VqMod, at best, but OC-2 requires
OcMod plus VqMod to work, combined, (in probably 99 percent of all installations) so uses TWO different 'engines', both or them basically built, to basically do the same, just in a fundamentally different way.

This makes it not easier, if one likes to add a lot of Mod's, of both kinds. And since OcMod cannot be disabled, by Default, one should better concentrate on aquiring OcMod's only, if one seeks maximum Performace, and a Miminum of possible Problems, related to OC-2 and Extensions, in general.
I find Opencart 2 to be much more streamlined and user-friendly.
is a personal Opinion, and heavy depends on a Theme, someone uses for it. And
when it comes to handling the Admin Section, I love the DEV, who created a Mod,
to get rid of that clamsy Admin Side Selection Crab, at least in a PC Screen View.

Tema Alternativo para Administração
http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... n_id=22813
mentioned here as well:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=155606
I hope it helps a little...
Good Luck ;)
Ernie
---

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland