Post by moneycarlo » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:12 am

Qphoria wrote:
moneycarlo wrote:also tried new version still getting the same session error
I've not seen this session error. Please PM me with ftp access and I'll take a look
this is a local wamp install, there's no ftp set up.
i guess i'll have to try to set up a testing subdomain on hosting site.

Post by moneycarlo » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:45 am

Install worked on hosting provider, so I'm not sure why it didn't work on wamp.

Anyways, hit one glitch, which I managed to fix. When inserting into the setting table, config_meta_title didn't like having a quote mark in it. My title and meta description had them in it. I removed the quote from the database and then the install went through.

Not sure if it needs to be escaped or encased, so i'll leave that up to you, but that was my result.

Post by Qphoria » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:44 am

moneycarlo wrote:Install worked on hosting provider, so I'm not sure why it didn't work on wamp.

Anyways, hit one glitch, which I managed to fix. When inserting into the setting table, config_meta_title didn't like having a quote mark in it. My title and meta description had them in it. I removed the quote from the database and then the install went through.

Not sure if it needs to be escaped or encased, so i'll leave that up to you, but that was my result.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into that.

Administrator

Post by Strangeman » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:02 pm

I've had a reasonable amount of sucess with this upgrade from 1.5.6.4, although I have to reset my password in order to log in to the v2.2.0.0 admin.

Can you give me any suggestions as to why my default store comes up blank with no errors in the error log to help me?

Post by Qphoria » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:25 pm

Strangeman wrote:I've had a reasonable amount of sucess with this upgrade from 1.5.6.4, although I have to reset my password in order to log in to the v2.2.0.0 admin.
In my experience, this is usually caused by the username now being case sensitive so people trying "Admin" instead of "admin" and they think it's their password causing the problem when really its the casing of the username. In any case, the password will not change from the upgrade process.
Can you give me any suggestions as to why my default store comes up blank with no errors in the error log to help me?
After upgrade there are a few other steps to take...
1. Goto the Users->User Groups area to add permissions to all new files
2. Goto the Settings to ensure all new settings are correct
3. Goto the extension->modules area to ensure any old 3rd party modules are disabled (most of them should have been disabled by the script)
4. Goto vqmod/xml folder and move all old 1.5.x mods out of the folder. Then install the latest version of vQmod from http://vQmod.com

After doing those see if it clears up. If not, go here to force blank pages to show real errors:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=170&t=50555

Administrator

Post by Strangeman » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:43 pm

Many thanks for the quick reply ...

If my username was 'Admin' originally, what effect would case sensitivity have in v2 ? (hope the question makes sense)

I will try the error display link ( I have mostly covered your other suggestions)

Post by Strangeman » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:55 am

PHP Notice: Error: Could not load config default! in /.../vqmod/vqcache/vq2-system_library_config.php on line 27

Post by Qphoria » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:56 pm

Strangeman wrote:PHP Notice: Error: Could not load config default! in /.../vqmod/vqcache/vq2-system_library_config.php on line 27
You should not have any vQmods loading on a fresh upgrade.

Administrator

Post by Strangeman » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:07 pm

Ignore me - I had a spurious entry in my config file left over from when we installed the opcrat mobile theme

Post by kt2846 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:32 am

After upgrading there are still a few issues that I have been unable to resolve:

While categories and products are showing in the storefront, they do not show in the admin, nor do products; and also other settings that are necessary to select to set up properly, for example length class - which shows no options to select, just and empty drop down menu.

The other issue is that in the store front where the icon of the house (and other icons), which you would select from "Home" shows instead "text_home", and the price in the cart shows "$0decimal_point00"

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Post by pm-netti » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:19 pm

kt2846 wrote:After upgrading there are still a few issues that I have been unable to resolve:

While categories and products are showing in the storefront, they do not show in the admin, nor do products; and also other settings that are necessary to select to set up properly, for example length class - which shows no options to select, just and empty drop down menu.

The other issue is that in the store front where the icon of the house (and other icons), which you would select from "Home" shows instead "text_home", and the price in the cart shows "$0decimal_point00"

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you!
This is your language file / code error.
Your language folder and main language filename need be same when your language code. Also your need update your language files to Oc 2.2

Location - Kittilä, Finland

Post by spirit » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:40 am

Thank you Qphoria, good job.

Just one thing: i need suppose that this is the official method to upgrade OpenCart to the latest version (2.2.0.0)?

After many years, what's the real reason that the team haven't developed a system to upgrade OpenCart, without burning the brain? Seems like this is the real Achilles heel.

Cheers to all.

Post by napok » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:04 pm

Thank you for your efforts in creating and improving open cart and this tool!
I have a store running on 1.5.6.4 right now and I want to go to 2.2.
Please could you tell me, if the following steps are correct, before I set off on this endeavour?

Because of all the mods, I would think I should do a clean install of 2.2 on a test subdomain, then the theme and then upgrade a copy of my current database, so it works with 2.2, after that get the current versions of the mods that I need and after that all works, upgrade the live database to replace the slightly aged previously upgraded test copy of my database. Then I shall make a backup of the still running system and set the thoroughly tested site as the live site.

Do I need this tool for this database upgrade from the 1.5.6.4 structure to the one of 2.2 at all?
Or is it only for a full upgrade of a store with all its (partially useless and patched) baggage?
Is there a current step by step guide that I can use to tick off the steps when to go from an existing store in the 1.5 range to 2.2?
I haven't found any on my searches that covers this issue exactly, which a lot of us will have to come to terms with in the future.
Thanks,
Alexandra

Post by Qphoria » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:05 am

spirit wrote:After many years, what's the real reason that the team haven't developed a system to upgrade OpenCart, without burning the brain? Seems like this is the real Achilles heel.
Because it's extremely difficult for a few different reasons.

1. Major code changes. OpenCart has had a LOT of extreme changes to some parts... and they weren't gracefully adjusted along the way. No deprecation period to give time for people to transition. Just hard cuts. Sometimes multiple cuts in different directions. So now you have to try to think about all those different setups and combine them into a common update process.

2. Bugs in previous versions that got absorbed by the upgrade process.The initial 2.0.x upgrade script caused a lot of invisible problems with the setting 'group' table changing to 'code'. Only it wasn't "changed".. instead the new field was added and the old field was left there. But the main code didn't filter on the group or code column.. so it was returning 2 results for each setting.. and it was a race condition on which value you'd get because the second copy overwrote the first. But there was no error because it was just a graceful overwrite. It wasn't until people started seeing weird stuff like editing the wording of things like HTML module or bank transfer and then when they go back to edit, they'd see the old text. That is because it was saving the new text into the 'code' column, but when it loaded it pulled from the 'group' column. So extra special code had to be added for that.

3. Server configurations. Everyone thinks it's a breeze to run a hosting company but there are so many ways to skin that cat. So sometimes when you want to try to handle folder moves or file renames but the server prevents scripts from doing it and causes all sorts of unforeseen issues. You just cannot guess all the possible scenarios and you'll go blue in the face trying to add a bunch of excess code conditionals around them.

4. 3rd party addons and customizations made to the database. A popular issue is with multilingual url alias mods. This mod adds a new "language_id" column to the url_alias table. And that is fine when used with the vQmod script that alters the query to filter by language_id. But when you remove that script as part of the upgrade, now the site crashes because the default query doesn't filter on language id and doesn't expect to receive multiple records for a single url. Again these are random and can't be guessed. You just have to deal with them when you come across them.

So it is unfortunately not an easy process when talking about a project like opencart that has a lot of moving parts.

Administrator

Post by dmsims » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:05 am

Thanks for the explanation Q

PLEASE PLEASE can the upgrade be pulled until it works?

I did open an issue on Git but Daniel just closed it with an "It does" response

He clearly needs to read this forum!

Post by spirit » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:35 am

Qphoria wrote:
spirit wrote:After many years, what's the real reason that the team haven't developed a system to upgrade OpenCart, without burning the brain? Seems like this is the real Achilles heel.
Because it's extremely difficult for a few different reasons.

1. Major code changes. OpenCart has had a LOT of extreme changes to some parts... and they weren't gracefully adjusted along the way. No deprecation period to give time for people to transition. Just hard cuts. Sometimes multiple cuts in different directions. So now you have to try to think about all those different setups and combine them into a common update process.

2. Bugs in previous versions that got absorbed by the upgrade process.The initial 2.0.x upgrade script caused a lot of invisible problems with the setting 'group' table changing to 'code'. Only it wasn't "changed".. instead the new field was added and the old field was left there. But the main code didn't filter on the group or code column.. so it was returning 2 results for each setting.. and it was a race condition on which value you'd get because the second copy overwrote the first. But there was no error because it was just a graceful overwrite. It wasn't until people started seeing weird stuff like editing the wording of things like HTML module or bank transfer and then when they go back to edit, they'd see the old text. That is because it was saving the new text into the 'code' column, but when it loaded it pulled from the 'group' column. So extra special code had to be added for that.

3. Server configurations. Everyone thinks it's a breeze to run a hosting company but there are so many ways to skin that cat. So sometimes when you want to try to handle folder moves or file renames but the server prevents scripts from doing it and causes all sorts of unforeseen issues. You just cannot guess all the possible scenarios and you'll go blue in the face trying to add a bunch of excess code conditionals around them.

4. 3rd party addons and customizations made to the database. A popular issue is with multilingual url alias mods. This mod adds a new "language_id" column to the url_alias table. And that is fine when used with the vQmod script that alters the query to filter by language_id. But when you remove that script as part of the upgrade, now the site crashes because the default query doesn't filter on language id and doesn't expect to receive multiple records for a single url. Again these are random and can't be guessed. You just have to deal with them when you come across them.

So it is unfortunately not an easy process when talking about a project like opencart that has a lot of moving parts.
Thanks for the reply mate.
Now i can understand better but what will happen with this? Some day the team will release a version with an upgrade method, working like a charm or will never happen?

Post by avoid » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:48 pm

I'm trying to upgrade from 1.5.6.4 and I just got "error undefined".
Checked the php error log and it looks clean...
Ideas?

I'm probably being stupid somewhere but I can't understand where. :)

Attachments

undefined.PNG

undefined.PNG (71.66 KiB) Viewed 3264 times

Transport Posta Romana - Automatizare formulare (completare automata buletin de expeditie si mandat postal) & calcul transport

Post by spirit » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:19 pm

Hi Qphoria.

Mate, is there any difference between your upgrade script and other solutions in the forum (pm-netti and Randem)?

The problem is not the money (i have no problem to pay), the point are the differences / the result.
I just want to go in one way until the OC team release an official method to upgrade the cart.

Thank you.

Post by Qphoria » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:58 pm

spirit wrote:Hi Qphoria.

Mate, is there any difference between your upgrade script and other solutions in the forum (pm-netti and Randem)?

The problem is not the money (i have no problem to pay), the point are the differences / the result.
I just want to go in one way until the OC team release an official method to upgrade the cart.

Thank you.
The difference is mine works :)
Mine is also the one that was accepted into the core for the next release as the official upgrade script so it is important we all work on one base and try to root out any issues. I use my script multiple times per day when I do paid upgrades so it gets a lot of exposure. As I come across new issues along the way due to different server configurations and other mod setups, I add additional handling. But you should have no problem following the steps in the first post.. just swap the install folder from the zip file with mine from this thread and the installer should work fine for most.

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:58 pm

avoid wrote:I'm trying to upgrade from 1.5.6.4 and I just got "error undefined".
Checked the php error log and it looks clean...
Ideas?

I'm probably being stupid somewhere but I can't understand where. :)
Can't tell without seeing your site. PM me and I'll take a look

Administrator