Post by Travelfrog » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:42 pm

I have v2.1.0.2 installed.

When I add a new product it shows in the product list OK with the image I uploaded and the basic info.
The product is disabled as still need to edit.

When I click product edit to go and add or change something, the image is missing and a lot of the original data. Manufacturer, categories are different, no price etc.

Help please, is this a bug or something else?

I have SSL on admin area.
Last edited by Travelfrog on Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Randem » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:03 pm

Hi Travelfrog,

Not a bug, It may have more to do with your configuration than anything else.

Is this an upgrade?
Why SSL only on the admin area? Customers need protecting too :laugh:

This could help some - http://www.randemsystems.com/support/opencart/

NEVER take serious; anyone who gives negative impact statements with no ABSOLUTE proof!
OpenCart Helpful Information * Upgrade 1.5 to 2.1 * Upgrade 2.1 to 2.2
"Why do people NEVER have enough time to do it right but ALWAYS enough time to do it over?"
DO NOT EVER GIVE SOMEONE YOU DON"T KNOW ADMIN ACCESS TO ANYTHING!
I am NOT affiliated with OpenCart

Post by Travelfrog » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:09 pm

No it's a clean install and is using the Journal theme.

SSL is set for the cart area and the admin area but the shop is not SSL. Config is only SSL where required in config.

I think that if I add a new product and then go back to edit it, all the data seems to be blank in the product edit data form. If I then edit it for a second time, the data remains stored.
But why would the image display in the product list and then not show in product edit?

Post by Randem » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:31 am

It is most likely a configuration error. Attempt to debug by doing the follow

Use the default theme
Do not use SSL
Disable all MODS

NEVER take serious; anyone who gives negative impact statements with no ABSOLUTE proof!
"Why do people NEVER have enough time to do it right but ALWAYS enough time to do it over?"

Post by Travelfrog » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:52 pm

OK, I disabled all mods and I tried with SSL turned off. But the problem still persists.

If I add a new product and set as disabled (to update it later) and then save it.
The product shows in the products list OK with the image and details.
When I go back to the edit page via the blue button on right, on the data tab and links tabs the image is not there and the product data has gone. Links tab also missing data.

If I add a new product and set as enabled (instead of disabled), and then save it.
The product shows in the products list OK with the image and details.
The product shows in the shop front OK with all info and image
If I then go back to the products list and click the blue edit button, on the data tab and links tabs the image is not there and the product data has gone. Links tab also missing data. Even though the product displays in the shop front OK.

The only thing that I still have is the Journal theme running.

What core OpenCart files can I re-upload to test if one of the files has been corrupted?

I am a beginner with OpenCart and need expert help with this problem.

Post by Randem » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:05 pm

Use the default theme?

Post by Travelfrog » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:15 pm

The shop is live and I do not know enough about OpenCart to safely disable the Journal theme so that it can be re-instated with all existing settings.

I did another test. If I add an image to the images tab, that is stored OK. The only tabs that are affected seem to be the data tab and the links tab.

Do you know which core files affect those two tabs so that I can check if one of the core files is corrupted?

Post by Randem » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:30 pm

It bewilders me why anyone would work on live systems... ??? This is something one should NEVER do...

Make a copy of your system in a test area and work on it there, unless you want to take your whole system down.

BTW: you don't replace a couple of files you replace them all... Shortcuts... ???

Post by Travelfrog » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:35 pm

The shop was working OK. I did what testing I could before the shop was live.

I only discovered this product edit problem in admin yesterday when adding a new product.

Post by Randem » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:43 pm

Where is the test system?

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:07 pm

Do you have a lot of product options?

It's possible that you need to increase max_input_vars in your php.ini file.

Opencart Hosting Plans, Domain Registration, Microsoft and Google Email and More
Visit our website for great deals and most importantly, fast and friendly support - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by Travelfrog » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:14 pm

No, I only have about 20 products. It's not a large shop.

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:05 am

Travelfrog wrote:No, I only have about 20 products. It's not a large shop.
I'm asking about the number of options per product (looking at the amount of data being saved for each product listing.

Opencart Hosting Plans, Domain Registration, Microsoft and Google Email and More
Visit our website for great deals and most importantly, fast and friendly support - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by Qphoria » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:45 am

Yea I looked at this and it was definitely weird. I'd need ftp access to dig around some more.
One more thing to try is disable ssl and use normal http:// in the config and see if that changes anything. I wouldn't expect so. It is weird that it is only the data tab though... all other tabs retain the data fine.

Administrator

Post by Travelfrog » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:46 pm

What I don't understand is how the product data can be there in the product list and also display on the front end, but not be pulled through to the data tab in product edit? Something must be stopping this data from being displayed in the form.

If I add a new product, the data in the Data tab is stored in the database because it is displayed in the product list and also is displayed in the front end.
When you go to the edit product for the first time, the Data tab does not show what is stored in the database.
However if you then add the data again, the data seems to keep the data and then display OK in the Product Edit Data tab.

I tried with SSL all off
I tried with SSL all on
I cleared all cache/reset
I replaced all core files
I have no mods installed

Regarding options, I do have two option fields on the existing products, but to add a new product, even with just the basic info, it does not show anything stored in the data tab. The tabs which seem to be affected are Data and Links tab.

My last resort which I have not done yet is to use the default theme as Randem suggested.

Can I create another clean instance of opencart linking to the existing database? and foregoing the normal install process, but just changing the two config files? or is something else stored in the database?

Post by Randem » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:59 pm

try using the default theme first. you may be surprised on how many time it was the theme causing all the rucus.
You can do exactly that with a new install, point it to the old database in the config files.

Post by Travelfrog » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:52 am

OK,

I set up a clean install with just the default theme, but used the existing database. The problem still occurs so I am thinking that it may be something in the database.

When the shop was built, I did install a subscriptions extension, but the author could not get it working to my satisfaction so I had to remove it. I notice when I was checking the products table just now, that there are two columns still in there that are associated with the subscriptions extension.

I am just waiting for a reply from the author of the subscriptions extension to confirm which tables have been modified.

I assume, that I can just remove the columns from the product table. and then see if it fixes the problem.

Do you think that this could be the source of the problem?

Post by Randem » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:40 am

If only the subscription MOD used it then no the rest of the system would not care unless the MOD changed the field type, length or something like that; the rest of the system should not care that the field is there. Check with a new product table definition and delete the fields that are not present in it just to make sure. Of course backup the table first...

Post by Randem » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:05 am

Dump your database and send it to me and I will install a fresh copy to see what your issues may be.

Post by Travelfrog » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:55 pm

Randem, thanks for the offer, but I think the problem is now fixed thanks to help from Qphoria.

There were some OpenCart demo items in some tables like url_alias and also some redundant columns in a couple of tables from when I installed a subscription extension. I have tidied up all the tables so that they only now contain current products.

This is all because of a mess I got into when I decided to use OpenCart for this shop.
1. I started with v1.5.6.4 but found some restrictions with some extensions and then noticed the possible upgrade problems to v2 if I decided to build with that version.
2. I next changed to v2.0.1.1 because it had a mobile friendly theme that I wanted to use. After building the shop and adding products (only about 20 products), lots of extension developers said that I shouldn't be using that version because it had too many bugs.
3. I decided to just take the bull by the horns and start with the latest version available v2.1.0.2. So now I had products in v2.0.1.1 and imported them into v2.1.0.2 using ExcelPort. I obviously made a mistake during the export/import process.

Fingers crossed everything is alright now, but there are still some bugs in the latest version v2.1.0.2. The tools import/export page for example in backup.tpl.