Post by affect » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:31 pm

Like the subject says - is there a specific refund policy for OpenCart extensions that defines what gets refunded and what not?

We've just gotten one of our orders refunded for a reason "the extension didn't suit my needs". Seriously? I can justify reasons like credit card fraud and such, but not suiting one's needs? We have detailed descriptions and a full-featured demo store available for the customers to test _before_ the purchase to make sure you know what you're paying for. Considering our $300+ price tag, refunds like this are a great way to make a purchase on OpenCart, apply for a refund saying it didn't suit one's needs and keep using the extension for free.

We've been successfully disputing scams like this with PayPal directly, but OpenCart doesn't seem to do anything but provide a full refund in each and every case. If you take $80 bucks off each our sale, it would be quite nice if there was at least a basic refund policy for cases like this one.

Anyone here to clear things up for me?

MultiMerch Marketplace for OpenCart

Post by Johnathan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:46 pm

It's doubtful you'll receive a response from Daniel here, since he doesn't post very often. I'd e-mail him directly (if you haven't already) to see if you can get a response from him.

In my experience, the refunds given used to be much more like you suggest -- whenever requested -- but in the last few months seem to be much more controlled. Generally, my own policy is to require that the person describes exactly how the extension is not working as described, but I don't know how often Daniel does this with customers wanting refunds. Again, it's something you'd need to discuss directly with him.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by affect » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:13 am

Yeah, knowing Daniel a little I wouldn't expect a personal response.

Got a reply from the OC staff, though, that basically says they're validating each refund to see if the customer has a history of purchases, any negative feedback, how many extensions were purchased in the past etc. So they ended up refunding the order since this specific client had a good history, purchased lots of extensions and didn't claim false refunds. Good for them and makes sense to keep scammers away, but doesn't really justify a "doesn't suit one's needs" reason for a refund that shouldn't have been allowed in the first place.

So, meh.

Post by Counting Pounds » Wed May 07, 2014 4:43 am

Maybe, but I've bought naff extensions that didn't work more than once. Most annoying of all is when developers post "extension bundles" and one finds the version in the bundle doesn't do what the version tested did, or you discover some function doesn't quite work but don't find that until you've attempted to load / configure / test. I have several extensions that almost work, and the vendor's never quite finish getting them to work.

All that said, I also have lots of high quality extensions, which is why I ditched Presta Shop. The refund policy makes me willing to part with my $, I've probably parted with lots more $ than I would have had it not been for the security of knowing a developer can't get away with posting rubbish. I buy my extensions via OC as the % Daniel makes from it keeps OC in business, and because if I end up with something truly bad I can get a refund.

Post by affect » Sat May 17, 2014 7:24 am

That's a different story. If it doesn't work, I'm fine with a refund. If it doesn't do what it says, I'm fine with a refund. But if it doesn't do what you think it should, even if this is contrary to the description - nah.

Post by broschats » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:05 pm

No Module / Extension market place should carelessly give its market the impression of Caveat Emptor or go home, The let the buyer beware and poor me attitude of devs who cant shoulder the weight of satisfying the customer is at least a blemish and at worst an assurance that doing business there will yield unsatisfactory results. I have 1 Application I just spent over $120 on that I am Not Returning because they say they are fixing the issues, Did I mention that I have $120. tied up in software that doesn't work, Yeeeah. They have an unconditional 30 day refund policy. In this case it is Worth the wait to see if they can pull it off. I have another 3 Scripts just purchased that all have potential to be returned for the reason of: Not Working OOB. PLUS -All Suffer the same problem of Not considering third party VQMOD product options in addition to their other broken parts. Yes they are cool but if I cant present to the customer its not cool. It is good to know that there is a way to mitigate these types of matters. I have spent 5 Days hacking and exploring these modules and software configs and think to myself I just wanted these to work. Here is my two cents :) Dont wait 48 hours to reply to your customers. I live in Hawaii and cant get stuff done when I get one liner responses that are unreadable due to Bad Grammer and Miss-Translations. :joker: Update: The $120. Software was fixed and delivered in 48 hrs. Thank you eMagicOne. The modules purchased from this marketplace however are still unresolved. Two of them I can live with, One I cannot. Return seems inevitable because the seller has a 48hr email response policy, and when they respond it is with info not related to the issue specified in ticket, They are focused on selling me coder work instead of fixing their core issue. My website is broken while I wait for them to look into it and not only that but they have been provided with temporary access to my file system to investigate and nothing has been done.

Your code doesn't suck, It's just not finished yet :)

Location - Maui Hawaii

Post by GoldenTongs » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:37 pm

i too have purchased many mods recently, but 3 of them do not work as stated,
2 devs promptly replied saying they are working on fix and that is last i have heard from them, the 3rd dev stated he knows about bugs in his extension but refuses to update extension with bug fixes..........
he only updates to come top of search (his own words)
from a customer view it is not good when purchasing half finished extensions

i do agree "does not suit my needs" does not warrant a refund,
but OC needs to do something about some of the poor quality devs

http://Lilphones.com

Post by GoldenTongs » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:54 pm

right the 3rd extension i have just requested a refund, as i was tired of getting nowhere with dev (woccorp), found he also had encrypted code in extension, since requesting refund i have now had absuive emails from the dev.

when i questioned him about encrypted code and GPL, his replies were:
I think you should stop blame me, im sorry but i want to say with you one thing:
YOU VERY STUPID.
You dont know anything about code, php sir.
OK sir, you can give this code to opencart.com admin and blame me with them, i have encrypted code, OK?, do not send email for me.
LOL, you're noob developer.
Do you know how to submit one ticket on opencart.com? I will teach you man.
i informed him i am not a dev, just someone that builds my own sites, his reply
NOT DEV then DONT TRY THINK AS A DEVELOPER. LET DOWNLOAD MAGENTO.COM AND OPEN SOME TABLE, AFTER THAN, SUBMIT ONE TICKET TO SUPPORT MAGENTO, TELL THEM WHY THEY ENCRYPTED CODE.
I DONT HAVE TIME TO TALK WITH ALL STUPID QUESTIONS.
i then informed him magento has nothing to do with anything and also does not use GPL, at this point i had enough and requested a refund, instead of continuing to waste my time trying to get his mod working and dealing with this dev,
he then sent
You fucking noob LOL, check that email i sent for supported opencart.com SCAMMER.
then followed by various offensive insults by email,
why does OC not have better open support for extensions in forum,
so all comms can be seen by all, and all issues with mods
rather than support by email with dev,
to avoid bad devs like this ?

Post by Johnathan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:08 am

Wow...that's...completely unprofessional. Based on that kind of support, I would hope that he's banned from selling at all. (You should forward those e-mails to Daniel.)

This is exactly the reason I started OpenCartX.com, where you can trust that all of the developers have excellent quality extensions, and excellent support. Since I take a different approach than the OpenCart store, the number of extensions isn't huge at this point. But I work hard to verify that all of the developers are high-quality and professional people before I allow them to list extensions.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by MarketInSG » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:14 pm

Hopefully we could moderate developers too, instead of just extensions. So many times, i'm just tempted to have poorly written extensions to be removed from the store. Some of them are even vulnerable to SQL injections..perhaps OC should have some sort of policy for removing poorly written extensions?

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by GoldenTongs » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:33 pm

Johnathan wrote:Wow...that's...completely unprofessional. Based on that kind of support, I would hope that he's banned from selling at all. (You should forward those e-mails to Daniel.)

This is exactly the reason I started OpenCartX.com, where you can trust that all of the developers have excellent quality extensions, and excellent support. Since I take a different approach than the OpenCart store, the number of extensions isn't huge at this point. But I work hard to verify that all of the developers are high-quality and professional people before I allow them to list extensions.
i have purchased a couple of mods from you recently, but i did purchase from OC.com as i beleive it is fair for OC to get a cut, as that is what keeps OC going, i do think OC.com does seem like a free for all, even when i posted for custom work i was contacted by a few people with no work available to view, just randoms asking for money up front (mostly from India) providing random sites claiming to be their work.

Post by GoldenTongs » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:40 pm

MarketInSG wrote:Hopefully we could moderate developers too, instead of just extensions. So many times, i'm just tempted to have poorly written extensions to be removed from the store. Some of them are even vulnerable to SQL injections..perhaps OC should have some sort of policy for removing poorly written extensions?
i think maybe oC could offer premium rated devs or something, maybe charge devs a yearly fee (i know OC already takes 30%) to vet devs and their work, and give them a trusted Dev status or something, but definately something is needed to make the quality devs stand out from the crowd.

Post by affect » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:50 pm

Ah, I see my thread from last year becoming active again. Yes, I definitely agree the same principle works vice versa as well and I'd be really happy to see more quality control for the developers, too, but also more features. At the moment, the developer/vendor account on OC Marketplace is quite basic. It'd be cool to see a version of OC Marketplace based on MultiMerch :D

Post by anhto » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:06 pm

Johnathan wrote:Wow...that's...completely unprofessional. Based on that kind of support, I would hope that he's banned from selling at all. (You should forward those e-mails to Daniel.)

Hi Jonathan,
Pls check my replied for GoldenTong here:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 47#p541147
SO you can see all histories.

I just creating modules to Increase Your Sales.

Image Image

Post by GoldenTongs » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:49 am

anhto wrote: Hi Jonathan,
Pls check my replied for GoldenTong here:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 47#p541147
SO you can see all histories.
no he will just see what you typed which is not correct,
just like you delete my comments from extension page, and also have shill comments

Post by paddys_1 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:14 pm

If a customer buys a module and then requests a refund through the OC support page, how is it issued?

Does OpenCart refund them the cash or does the developer need to send it to them manually via paypal?

If the developer gives the refund themselves then they are losing the commission that OC received when the module was purchased.

e.g. if a module costs $10, the developer only receives $7 after OC get their commission. If a customer wants a refund then the developer has to give them $10 back even though he only received $7 payment originally. Therefore the developer is losing $3.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Post by MarketInSG » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:45 pm

paddys_1 wrote:If a customer buys a module and then requests a refund through the OC support page, how is it issued?

Does OpenCart refund them the cash or does the developer need to send it to them manually via paypal?

If the developer gives the refund themselves then they are losing the commission that OC received when the module was purchased.

e.g. if a module costs $10, the developer only receives $7 after OC get their commission. If a customer wants a refund then the developer has to give them $10 back even though he only received $7 payment originally. Therefore the developer is losing $3.

opencart will provide the refund. developer does not need to refund from his end.

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by Noelinar » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:40 am

MarketInSG wrote:
paddys_1 wrote:If a customer buys a module and then requests a refund through the OC support page, how is it issued?

opencart will provide the refund. developer does not need to refund from his end.

Hi MarketInSG&Jonathan!

I've sent 2 emails asking please for a refund a few days ago but didn't get any response yet, how can I proceed?

I've sent all type of data neccessary with Paypal ID transaction, etc.

Would I send instead an PM to Daniel in this case?

Thank you for your time!