Post by stevemills » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:13 am

I did manage to change it in the product pages, as well as the front page menus. What I would like to do is change the word in my Dashboard and on the routing (/index.php?route=catalog/manufacturer). I am not selling manufacturers merchandise, and it just seems inappropriate. Can I change that word to anything else without crashing the whole site?

So far, I have to say I love OpenCart. Coming from other storefronts I have worked with, this is really a breath of fresh air.

Post by stevemills » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:29 am

I'm poking around the admin files, and see a possibility for much of this language.

admin/language/english/catalog/manufacturer.php

But the file would still be called manufacturer. That can't be changed without dire consequences, correct?

There is yet another file that would seem to need editing, and that is:

admin/model/catalog/manufacturer.php

This one looks a lot more complex than the first.

Post by Selective555 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:49 am

You can remove "Manufacture" from your online shop without messing with any of those script pages, just by using your Admin panel.

The Admin panel is confusing as hell though, and this stuff isn't user friendly at all.

Give me a few minutes to look over the Admin panel and I'll tell you how to do it.

Post by Selective555 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:59 am

Look at these areas in you Admin panel for "Manufactures"

System > Design > Banners
System > Design > Layouts

If I remember correctly, "Manufactures" is just a name of a banner that is apart of the demo set up. You should be able to change the name, delete it, or make more of those files with new names.

You can also delete the layout for "Manufacture", or rename it, or delete it and make a new layout. I think.

I haven't deleted any layouts though. I still see "Manufacture" in my layouts list but I was somehow able to remove it from my shop so no one sees it.

Post by stevemills » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:06 am

I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting, but I still need "manufacturers". I just want the name changed. It's more than a banner.

Post by Selective555 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:18 am

stevemills wrote:I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting, but I still need "manufacturers". I just want the name changed. It's more than a banner.
Go to the front of your shop, then scroll to the bottom, and under "Extras" click on "Brands".

If you see the word "Manufacture" come up on the screen anywhere, then that means it is only because it exists somewhere in your Admin panel where you haven't changed the name or removed it yet.

Post by stevemills » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:37 am

I've changed the wording there, and in the individual product pages (not deleted, changed). I'm trying to change that word on my dashboard, as well as in the links in the address bar. I don't want the word "manufacturer" to appear at all, just be replaced with something else.

Post by Selective555 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:19 am

To create new labels, try this....

Catalog > Attributes > Attribute Groups

Then create an Attribute Group that you would like to replace "Manufacture"

Then if you want to make different kinds of your new label, you can go to....

Catalog > Attributes > Attributes

to make variations of it.

Post by stevemills » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:41 am

I have created attribute groups already, but that doesn't serve the purpose. It doesn't change the word Manufacturer anywhere. All it gives me is a list of links on the address bar (what I wanted them to do).

Post by Selective555 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:53 am

I haven't made items yet, are the item pages showing it?

As for hiding links in the address bar and when people hover their mouse over links, I have script that will take of that, but I can't figure out where it should go when looking at the raw files in my file manager. It looks like all pages are non existent and just appear out of nowhere.

? ? ?

Post by stevemills » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:07 am

As to visitors to my store will see, the word "manufacturer" will only show in the address bar or in a hover. That isn't anything major, other than the fact I am selling products I make, in three distinct categories (the attributes). Since what I sell is photographs of different subjects, the subject names have been substituted for brands. Hence I would like to lose the word "Manufacturer".

I would only like to personalize my dashboard a little more, so it doesn't look like I am selling the latest gadgets.

Again, this isn't anything I will lose sleep over. In fact, I'm afraid if I could accomplish this it would be destroyed in an upgrade, anyway. What I have done so far will remain safe because the changes are made within the dashboard.

Post by Selective555 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:16 am

If you haven't added many items yet, I would suggest making sure the word "Manufacturer" can't be seen anywhere on the shop first, then add items. If an item is attached to or listed under "Manufacturer" then it won't let you remove it.

I'm in the same situation, trying to make the shop appeal to my needs more.

At the moment, there's a few things I'm trying to work out, like removing "Brands" from the shop and changing the links at the bottom of the page.

Post by Selective555 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:29 am

If you want to remove "Brands/Manufacturers" from the bottom of your shop page, here's how...

Go into you file manager and go to this file
/catalog/view/theme/default/template/common/footer.tpl
Find and remove this line of text

Code: Select all

<li><a href="<?php echo $manufacturer; ?>"><?php echo $text_manufacturer; ?></a></li>
Save, and...... no more Brands/Manufacturers at the bottom of your shop page!

I'm still looking for more ways to modify the shop, so I'll post again when I find out more.

Post by stevemills » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:31 am

That is where I changed the word from brands to what I wanted.

I'm looking at editing the Layouts, and this seems like a more promising route. Much to learn there, but it does seem to be where this can be changed. Manufacturers is a built-in route. I probably need to create a new one.

Post by Selective555 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:44 am

Let me know what you find.

Also, I think I found out how to change the address bar so it won't show "Manufacturer".

At this file...
/catalog/controller/common/footer.php
I found this line of code

$data['manufacturer'] = $this->url->link('product/manufacturer');
I changed mine to

$data['manufacturer'] = $this->url->link('product/item');

Post by stevemills » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:57 am

Selective555 wrote:Let me know what you find.

Also, I think I found out how to change the address bar so it won't show "Manufacturer".

At this file...
/catalog/controller/common/footer.php
I found this line of code

$data['manufacturer'] = $this->url->link('product/manufacturer');
I changed mine to

$data['manufacturer'] = $this->url->link('product/item');
Interesting. No navigation errors after that?

Post by Selective555 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:18 am

Well, I'm not sure if it is an actual link, or just some BS made up text that appears in the address bar as the link, but I don't have items in my shop yet so no errors before items are added anyway.

I did change it back just for now though.

There are actually 5 different footer pages, and I see now where you said you changed the text "Brand" to something else, but how it's attached to the string "Manufacturer" in the script. I may change that myself, but I would rather do away with that option if possible, then just use Attributes for something fresh and new if I can.

Did you try your site map to see what appears?

Mine is clean, for now. I hope adding items doesn't make "Manufacturer" or "Brand" show up.

Post by stevemills » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:33 am

Site map is clear, or rather it contains the language I want it to.

You mentioned earlier how it's not so user friendly to set up this store. I might have thought so if I hadn't already tried several of the other carts available (free and commercial). I'm pretty happy with this one so far.

There are so many php files called "manufacturer" that I'm afraid this idea may be a lost cause. Or fraught with unnecessary risks. Upgrades would be tricky.