Post by Selective555 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:17 am

So I am new and I am using OpenCart 2.0.0.0

I know how to do the install, no problem there.

However, at first I thought this would be a simple program and made the mistake of instantly removing all demo items and demo categories from the shop. Then found out when I went to add new categories and new items, that the shop will not show them at all and returns nothing at all in searches, not even the categories.

So I uninstalled everything and the database also, then tried all over again fresh with a new database.

This time I thought I would take things slow and see how the items worked, and try changing a few file names here and there till I got the hang of what I did wrong the first time. Then I noticed Categories MUST have Subcategories for the items to appear, so I was sure I would be fine this time and so I deleted all demo categories and all demo items, using only the freshly new categories and freshly new items I created.

BIG MISTAKE!!! Again, nothing shows in the shop and nothing returns in the search, not even the categories.

I took a look at the categories, and I can only suspect it's a Layout problem, but no matter what Layout I pick for the categories, none of them work.

Why is OpenCart so difficult to use? Why did it not come with step by step instructions on how to set up items in the shop? How do I fix this problem and get my items to show up in the shop?

Do I need to delete the entire shop and database a second time and reinstall everything again?
Last edited by Selective555 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Selective555 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:29 am

Well, I can do a search for the item and it does show up, but the main problem is the categories will not show, and they do not show in search or on the item page!

See? The blue bar on the top of the page with the category listings, it vanished!
opencart2000 no categories.jpg

opencart2000 no categories.jpg (71.78 KiB) Viewed 1279 times

All I did was remove all demo categories and all demo items, so I'm not touching anything else till I figure out what happened.

Post by fido-x » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:35 am

You do not have to create sub-categories. That functionality is provided so that you can "group" similar categories under a common "parent".

If you want your "top-level" categories to appear in the blue "menu" bar across the top of the front-end, you have to set them to appear there. To do this, check the checkbox for "Top" under the "Data" tab in the category form.

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by Selective555 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:40 am

fido-x wrote:If you want your "top-level" categories to appear in the blue "menu" bar across the top of the front-end, you have to set them to appear there. To do this, check the checkbox for "Top" under the "Data" tab in the category form.
Already tried that, and that function isn't working.

I've been refreshing my browser, but do I need to close all browser windows to clear cookies or something? I guess I could try restarting my computer and see if the page is sticking.

Post by Selective555 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:48 am

Thanks

Yeah, that was it.

I had to clear all of my cookies in my browser before I could see the change.

WOW, that is so annoying, because I can't be clearing my cookies all the time when I am in the admin panel doing stuff.

I really wish there was an easy way to see in real time what changes looked like, or at least a popup help box showing video or pictures of what things do in the shop so I don't have to constantly log out and clear my cookies just to see what the changes will look like all the time.

There really does need to be step by step instructions built into the admin panel also.