Post by Shadey » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:46 am

Is there a "Customers who bought this also bought" module?
I have had a look around the modules and can't find one? Does it exist? If so can you give me a pointer to it please.
:)
Thanks

Post by richard211986 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:42 am

best sellers would be the closest i guess? wouldnt it be good if you could get customers also brought this in the shopping basket.....

Post by Xsecrets » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:31 am

the problem with customers also bought is that you have to query all your orders then all the products in them to get the data, and once you start getting lots of orders it always slows down.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by chriss » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:14 pm

I need such functionality on my site, so any news on the module?

Post by Xsecrets » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:53 pm

as far as I know no one has written any module like this. I don't really think anyone has even thought to hard about it. It's much better to use some sort of cross sell than an also purchased module.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by tomlam » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:17 pm

Hello Xsecrets,
I respectfully disagree with you. To choose products to cross sell each product in a store can be time consuming and involve bias from the shop owner.

If the shop keeps track of products that customers bought alongside this product it would give a much better picture of things that should actually be cross-sold. (as chosen by the customers themselves)

There should be an fallback option, that products from the same category and price or products that have been chosen to be related should be displayed in case there is no data on the above.

Post by Qphoria » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:50 pm

Well i agree that it isn't "bad" to have it. Though the derogatory concept that you need other people to make your decisions for you is there :P Add it to the feature requests area and we'll see what we can do about it.

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:05 am

If you do decide to add it I would certainly make it optional as I guarantee it will slow down sites with lots of products, customers, and orders. And before anyone says amazon does it I'm quite sure they do summary tables in a different database on schedules and multiple servers which is not feasible for a project like this.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by JAY6390 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:58 am

I've recently developed this add on, and will make it commercially available in the near future. The module makes two queries to the database and is able to work out which products have been purchased the most and "weight" the items in their favour as those are most likely to be bought again. As long as there is a limit to the products and the queries are smart it doesn't really slow it down all that much imo

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:44 am

well yes it's just two queries, but one is used inside a loop of the results of the other right? and at what point does it start slowing things down on shared hosting? 1000 orders 10,000 orders 100,000 orders? In my experience on other systems somewhere around 30,000 orders things start slowing down alot. remember these queries have to be run anytime anyone looks at any product. I suppose you could cache them which would help, and 30,000 orders may sound like a lot if a store takes off it really doesn't take that long to get there.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by JAY6390 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:45 am

Nope no looping, hence the "smart query" bit :)

Guru Member

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:54 am

JAY6390 wrote:Nope no looping, hence the "smart query" bit :)
well that would be very interesting to see how it works. I'm all for the function if it can be done efficiently, but I've seen several attempts and they all have caused performance issues on high traffic sites, so I am very leary.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by tomlam » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:36 pm

Well if the query was run only once a week and cached the results, wouldn't this cut down on performance issues?

Post by JAY6390 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:31 pm

Not really as simple as that Tom. You could cache each product's items that have been ordered with it, but that would take quite a bit of space up on the file system.

@Xsecrets - It might actually be 3 queries, but either way it doesn't loop through them. There are a number of ways this can be done. Obviously the biggest factor is the orders are going to get bigger as you've said. I'm sure indexes could be added to the relevant tables to get the performance up too

Guru Member

Post by tomlam » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:48 pm

I'd really like to give this a go if you're looking for a beta tester.
Let me know
Cheers

Post by JAY6390 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:50 pm

Cool. How many orders do you have in your database?

Guru Member

Post by tomlam » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:01 pm

Its a brand new shop. Is there fallback code which shows 'related items' instead of 'customers who bought this also bought'. if there is no relevant data?

I will then add some dummy orders to test.

Post by JAY6390 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:11 pm

Nope but I intend to make the module auto hidden if it hasn't got any (or at least an option to choose to have it)

To be honest, I'd only need a beta tester for the "larger" stores with the 10,000 plus order, to test load on the database and response times (as mentioned above)

Guru Member

Post by JAY6390 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:23 am

Module now available - Check out my signature for the link

Guru Member

Post by nightwing » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:48 am

Hey Ja6390,

Could you share this link? The VQMod Pic in yoru signature goes to github vqmod page.
JAY6390 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:23 am
Module now available - Check out my signature for the link

Regards,
Nightwing
Access to my Free Extensions: https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... =nightwing