Post by marmax » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:20 am

OSWorX wrote:
'not tested' script
I thought Opencart is something more than just some stray script ;) Yes, I usually wait some time before using new releases, unless just playing / testing. Still, 2.0.0.0 was released as a STABLE, not beta version. Did not know opencart is not tested before release, this was my first time using opencart. Anyway, the biggest like Microsoft and Apple often have (or at least sometimes) huge problems.
Leaving this on side, as I am not the main character here but Opencart....

I really appreciate developers' hard work, also as I asked above, I wonder how safe / feasible it is to upgrade, is 2.0.1.0 to be considered as stable or beta, etc.

Thank you for your support,
With best wishes ;)

Post by OSWorX » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:38 pm

I am sorry, but this happened until today only once that a version was published as NOT stable.
This is not my decision - ask the developer why he is publishing crappy scripts as 'stable'.

But our experience the last 5 years has shown that you have to wait always several weeks after a new release - we never had a major release without any major bugs.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Daniel » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:57 pm

OSWorX,

do you want banning again?

your taking the piss! nothing has been reported with the latest release in the last day to say that this version is unstable!

where the fuck are you getting your stupid information from!!

3 reports all turned out to be bogus after testing the reported issues!

we paid developers in India hired from odesk to test opencart for over a month. not to mention the reports on github by the community.

I suggest you keep you mouth shut instead of critising my work and many others who have committed to opencart!

as for marmax,

if you have any issue with the script I suggest you look at the commits that have been made to the master branch or fix the issues your self!. this is what you are being paid to do by your client!

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by marmax » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi All,

Please be excellent to each other, let's not fight! ;)

OSWorX delivers some good support to board users from what I've seen, it would be a loss!

As for my client, she is kind of friend of mine and I have not charged her, as I am not 100% sure of the implementation. I'm not a full time developer, I regret I can't commit myself more to opencart development with my limited skills.

Let's focus on ad rem, improving the system, instead of ad personam arguments.

Have a good day,
You are all great!

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:03 pm

marmax wrote:Hi All,

Please be excellent to each other, let's not fight! ;)
I agree, no need to shout at each other.

Version 2.0.1.0 didn't come out of the blue, it has been around as a beta for quite while (2.0.0.1 betas), with a lot of bugfixes carried out, including some I reported on github myself. OCmod has become useful now, too, and I am starting to port extensions and websites to 2.0.1.0

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by Xciso » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:36 am

Its great that v2.0.1.0 has been released!
But I agree with some others that if a version NOT is stable it should not be avalible at the top of download page.

When I click at download tab i should only see versions that are stable to use at live shops.
Its always good to let everybody test a beta version, but the version should also then be named to alpa, or beta.

I think OpenCart is the best e-commerce script right now. (for small and medium shops).
I have tried Magento, and its too big for me. I´m a geek and love all type of functions, but Magento was too difficult to start work with. Its take so long time to start with it.

But i think Daniel and the team needs to be more "alive" at the forum, so everybody know whats happening.
I would love to teleport my 1.5.6.4 store to v2, but it need to be stable. (i dont know if it is that yet).

Post by halfhope » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:37 am

Hi.

Make it possible to run the script in "uninstall.php" modules installed through the section "modification".

My extensions in marketplace. [ security | flexibility | speedup ]

Location - San Diego

Post by OSWorX » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:53 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:Version 2.0.1.0 didn't come out of the blue, it has been around as a beta for quite while (2.0.0.1 betas), with a lot of bugfixes carried out, including some I reported on github myself. OCmod has become useful now, too, and I am starting to port extensions and websites to 2.0.1.0
Well, from the view of a developer - maybe.
But not as customer, because you cannot expect that everyone is using GitHub and how to use - and why.
As a customer when I see a big button at the download page that this release is the current, I assume that it will be latest and stable version.

We are having this discussion now since many years, and yes Daniel banned me once because of that discussion.
And I still do not understand why a release is published as ??
Is it so bad to name it alpha, beta, .. zeta before stable?

Hiring paid (!!) developers from India - hmmm.
And now only a few hours after publishing the latest release several commits again?
Can only hope that these guys are not expensive!

I am sure I can speak here for everyone: each of us will help to bring OpenCart forward.
Each of us will agree if we see that a published release is not for production and will test it - unpaid.
This community grew up in the last years to a strong group.
What would be OpenCart without that community?
They are finally your customers.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by andrewluecke » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:58 pm

Firstly, congratulations on the release. OpenCart 2.0 did look amazing when we first saw it, and I can see that a few issues we had initially have apparently been fixed..

If I may in regards to the releases:
  • My feeling is that I agree it may be worth introducing a short RC cycle to encourage testing, which would have eliminated bugs like the "text_edit string" bug. It doesn't hurt, even if its only 3 days long, and encourages semi-developer types to test it. This is commonplace in most software projects. Without one, Opencart also runs a slightly greater risk of releasing a version which corrupts a users database. RC releases are particularly effective on more targeted projects like this I feel, because bugs are easily replicated, and the code is so easy, they can often be fixed by newbies. Not a dealbreaker for us, but nice to have
  • It may be worth splitting the downloads page into two rows.. The top showing stable releases, and the bottom unstable, showing a graph representing #open bugs, and closed bugs, and a link to the latest Nightly. This would demonstrate that open issues are getting actively addressed. People who aren't in the know may see no news for a few months, and think that nothing is happening. This would help address that
OSWorX wrote: Well, from the view of a developer - maybe.
As a non-developer, you would be using whatever Fantastico or whatever provides anyway honestly. Not really sure how many non-developers would feel ok setting up MySQL. So, in theory yes, in practice, I disagree..
OSWorX wrote: Hiring paid (!!) developers from India - hmmm.
And now only a few hours after publishing the latest release several commits again?
Be more respectful. And, bugs will always be found in software.. Projects which wait until there are 0 bugs on all installations will never have a release, because its a moving target. You may eventually fix 100% bugs if you never upgrade your server, but, a minor upgrade will break things eventually. Even bug fixes such as Shellshock took a few attempts to get right.

That being said, this project is free, and open source. So, given the pricing, We are happy with it.

And if you check the commits on the project, the reality is, the majority of the code for the project is committed by Daniel and James.. So, in all essence, it isn't really a true community project anyway. The reality is, if the community disappeared, the project would be usable. If they disappeared, the commits would drop to almost 0.

But, I also don't think the forum is the right place to be shouting at others.. It might be best to do it in a PM (because, to the rest of the community such as myself, it feels like that awkward moment when a Boss starts shouting at an employee whilst they are with a customer because they made a minor mistake).

But I'll be testing tomorrow. Just to check though, are upgrades from 1.5.x to 2.0.1.0 working properly?
Last edited by andrewluecke on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by andrewluecke » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:05 pm

Also, any thoughts about running another template contest for OpenCart 2.x?

Now would be a great time, as many of us are looking for updated themes for 2.x, and it might be a good time to kick-start the theming (especially now that the first maintenance release has been released for the new series).

Post by mindxakep » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:17 pm

I did find a bug i think since i translated OC 2.0 to bulgarian and upgraded to 2.0.1.0 and checked file by file the language files .. i still get few "none translated/english" labels on the buttons in the store front like "login" and "continue" any solution?

Location - Bulgaria

Post by thoughtfulthumb » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:59 pm

Can we "upgrade" to 2.0.1 or do we have to pick and replace files?

Just that I have already fixed various bugs and with no list of bugs (correct me if I'm wrong), I don't know if it will update some files and put some bugs back in.

Ta ;D

Visit Thoughtfulthumb.co.uk and I would be happy to receive any thoughts or problems you pick up on! I am a new business, have had successfull previous companies and New to developing a software based website. Thank you.

Post by jurpro » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:14 am

mindxakep wrote:I did find a bug i think since i translated OC 2.0 to bulgarian and upgraded to 2.0.1.0 and checked file by file the language files .. i still get few "none translated/english" labels on the buttons in the store front like "login" and "continue" any solution?
Now the translate file is only on one name, "default.php" on root language folder. So, if you use Bulgarian language, make sure you do rename for "bulgarian.php" in language for catalog and admin to "default.php"

Seems, the language will be automatically or something like that to translator on opencart for the next release, so, you can choose your language from the first time you install the system.

Cari album edisi luar negeri? Atau dalam negeri juga bisa. Kunjungi saja http://www.sawios.com Semoga bisa membantu. :)

Post by Daniel » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:58 pm

andrewluecke wrote:Firstly, congratulations on the release. OpenCart 2.0 did look amazing when we first saw it, and I can see that a few issues we had initially have apparently been fixed..

If I may in regards to the releases:
  • My feeling is that I agree it may be worth introducing a short RC cycle to encourage testing, which would have eliminated bugs like the "text_edit string" bug. It doesn't hurt, even if its only 3 days long, and encourages semi-developer types to test it. This is commonplace in most software projects. Without one, Opencart also runs a slightly greater risk of releasing a version which corrupts a users database. RC releases are particularly effective on more targeted projects like this I feel, because bugs are easily replicated, and the code is so easy, they can often be fixed by newbies. Not a dealbreaker for us, but nice to have
  • It may be worth splitting the downloads page into two rows.. The top showing stable releases, and the bottom unstable, showing a graph representing #open bugs, and closed bugs, and a link to the latest Nightly. This would demonstrate that open issues are getting actively addressed. People who aren't in the know may see no news for a few months, and think that nothing is happening. This would help address that
OSWorX wrote: Well, from the view of a developer - maybe.
As a non-developer, you would be using whatever Fantastico or whatever provides anyway honestly. Not really sure how many non-developers would feel ok setting up MySQL. So, in theory yes, in practice, I disagree..
OSWorX wrote: Hiring paid (!!) developers from India - hmmm.
Be more respectful. And, bugs will always be found in software.. Projects which wait until there are 0 bugs on all installations will never have a release, because its a moving target. You may eventually fix 100% bugs if you never upgrade your server, but, a minor upgrade will break things eventually. Even bug fixes such as Shellshock took a few attempts to get right.

That being said, this project is free, and open source. So, given the pricing, We are happy with it.

And if you check the commits on the project, the reality is, the majority of the code for the project is committed by Daniel and James.. So, in all essence, it isn't really a true community project anyway. The reality is, if the community disappeared, the project would be usable. If they disappeared, the commits would drop to almost 0.

But, I also don't think the forum is the right place to be shouting at others.. It might be best to do it in a PM (because, to the rest of the community such as myself, it feels like that awkward moment when a Boss starts shouting at an employee whilst they are with a customer because they made a minor mistake).

But I'll be testing tomorrow. Just to check though, are upgrades from 1.5.x to 2.0.1.0 working properly?

it is a stable release. the release has been on the github page for over 2 months! this is enough time for people to point bugs out and have them fixed!

stop RC1 bullshit. the master branch is available on github for everyone to download and test.

2ndly there is no show stopping bug been found in the last few days of the release.

a few small css issues, typos and custom field button not working. its not the end of the world. some one finds one small issue and suddenly you come out with remarks claiming the script is untested! dont use this project again if this is what you believe. also you should checkout osxworks past comments with past releases. every release is the same stupid comments.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:28 pm

it is a stable release. the release has been on the github page for over 2 months! this is enough time for people to point bugs out and have them fixed!
Perhaps it might help to avoid confusion on this subject amongst end users if the download page listed downloads for both stable releases and for beta-releases/release-candidates. For example, it could be as simple as adding a link to OpenCart 2.0.1.1 release canditate (I took this version number off your index.php file in the current github master branch).

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by Daniel » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:43 pm

developers know where to get the latest master branch for testing.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by hv08 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:15 pm

In version 2.0.1.0 the left category sidebar has changed to login information sidebar. Is it a bug or a new feature?

Post by rph » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:40 am

OSWorX wrote:Hiring paid (!!) developers from India - hmmm.
:laugh: I found over a dozen issues in an hour just by browsing the source and using a code inspector. Given the way things have been going in the GitHub repo it's probably not worth the time submitting them.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by Daniel » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:16 am

rph wrote:
OSWorX wrote:Hiring paid (!!) developers from India - hmmm.
:laugh: I found over a dozen issues in an hour just by browsing the source and using a code inspector. Given the way things have been going in the GitHub repo it's probably not worth the time submitting them.
so why didn't you post the dozen issues to the github issue tracker before the release!

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:26 am

rph wrote: :laugh: I found over a dozen issues in an hour just by browsing the source and using a code inspector. Given the way things have been going in the GitHub repo it's probably not worth the time submitting them.
Interesting, so why didn't you post them on github's issue tracker?

What code inspector were you using?

Guru Member