Post by ptelang » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:17 am

Recently we had a sudden fall in purchase of our extensions from Opencart extension market. On other hand we received numerous support enquiries . On investigating we realized that huge number of our extensions/plugins were downloaded from illegal websites which openly make available pirated/nulled extensions. Same case with most of the other Opencart extensions. Most of them are nulled and available free.

Check on Google trend and you will find “nulled opencart scripts” is rising on popularity.

If this continues there will be little incentive for Opencart extension developers to develop extensions.
So what can be done?

TransPacific Software
OpenCart Developers
http://www.transpacific-software.com/opencart.php

Post by STN » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:01 pm

Not much i think. Nulled scripts have always been a problem for paid scripts not just for opencart extensions, much like piracy for software.

Its not that bad though, think of it this way. If people bother enough to null your scripts then it must be popular enough and liked by many, eventually some of them are going to buy your scripts. Not all of them but some will and you will get extra exposure.

I have used nulled scripts for years when i didn't had any money (just a teenager) and when i finally did i bought the ones i actually liked and prefer a legit copy compared to nulled one. Not everyone is going to have the money to buy and those who pirate, chances are they were never going to buy from you at all so isn't it better they use your stuff over others.

Just my view on the matter and yes i am a dev myself and this has happened to me. You have several options to take that nulled content down (contact google to remove search results, contact the host etc.)

Game Trainers

STN

Post by ptelang » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:08 pm

I think OpenCart curators should issue DMCA to these sites which are openly hosting these nulled scripts. If they are not located in US there must be some similar way to take them down
On other hand some protocol should be in place to have licensing mapped with a hosting server.

TransPacific Software
OpenCart Developers

Post by takahashi1973 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:41 pm

Hello!

I do not think any encryption nor licensing server checks will work.
Scripts get nulled anyway.
SOME developers have build a check inside their modules; that does not stop all people but it will encourage decent developers to order the module for each store they use it on instead of keep copying it. THAT i would focus on as developer.

I do not think Daniel will ever start with some licensing server system for developers/buyers.

And no, most nulled scripts are hosted on servers NOT in the USA I think. You cannot get to them legally but can always try and send the hosting provider a warning.

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:53 pm

ptelang wrote:I think OpenCart curators should issue DMCA to these sites which are openly hosting these nulled scripts. If they are not located in US there must be some similar way to take them down
On other hand some protocol should be in place to have licensing mapped with a hosting server.
It is not OpenCart that owns the copyright to these works, so it would be up to you as the developer to issue DMCA notices

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by ptelang » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:33 pm

Opencart guys may possibly have some educative posts on "Why not to install" nulled scripts and highlight issues with nulled scripts/extensions like no support, malicious embed scripts within extension , no updates etc.

TransPacific Software
OpenCart Developers

Post by JAY6390 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:30 am

This is true, though if people are actively searching for nulled software, chances are they will take the risk and know this already

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by victorj » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:08 am

I think its up to the developer to build a licence system into their mods, like is done in the less engine mod, whre you will have to get a licence in order to get it work.

personaly im happy to buy a decent module and get support an know there is no unwanted code running on my website, wich is always a risk when using nulled script anyway.
but then i always buy original programs just to be shure its safe.

if you want a decent shop running, and your not able to buy a module, your shop is not working anyway.

Koeltechnische deurrubbers eenvoudig online op maat bestellen.
Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.
https://koelcel-onderdelen.com

Expert Member

Location - Alkmaar Holland

Post by IP_CAM » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:18 pm

This is a rather difficult matter, because Opencart is licensed under Opensource/GPL. The Majority of OC-MOD's would legally NOT even qualify, beeing taxed as 'NON GPL' Work. Most Mod's are designed to be placed into and used as 'ingetral' Part of OC. This makes them, in most cases, to be legally 'taxed' as just another 'Opensource/GPL-type Modification.

Anyone is therefore basically free to use, modify, offer them. At least, as long as such MOD's are NOT written to be used as so-called external 'stand-alone' Runtime-Versions, doing their own job, without actually requiring OC to be (active) part of it, to make 'em work.

Nobody can take some Opensource Code, rename a few Folders, add a few lines here and there, remove/add some functions, Templates or whatever, and then claim this Thing to be a NON GPL/Opensource-Licensed Software either, at least not, as long as 'relevant' OPENSOURCE/GPL based Code is part of it.

Uncounted Arguments over this have been common, since GPL/Opensource was intruduced. but, whoever creates Mod's, has to be aware, that others eventually will profit, in one or the other way. In contrary, OC-Contributors should actually be glad and greatful to have the opportunity to create some income, instead of expecting unlimited Exclusivity and money-flow because of a few lines of OC-related Coding.

Not everybody will like, what I wrote, I am fully aware of this. But, like it or not, it won't make any difference. There is no such thing as Exclusivity at the web, just realize the facts...

Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by STN » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:21 pm

IP_CAM wrote:This is a rather difficult matter, because Opencart is licensed under Opensource/GPL. The Majority of OC-MOD's would legally NOT even qualify, beeing taxed as 'NON GPL' Work. Most Mod's are designed to be placed into and used as 'ingetral' Part of OC. This makes them, in most cases, to be legally 'taxed' as just another 'Opensource/GPL-type Modification.

Anyone is therefore basically free to use, modify, offer them. At least, as long as such MOD's are NOT written to be used as so-called external 'stand-alone' Runtime-Versions, doing their own job, without actually requiring OC to be (active) part of it, to make 'em work.

Nobody can take some Opensource Code, rename a few Folders, add a few lines here and there, remove/add some functions, Templates or whatever, and then claim this Thing to be a NON GPL/Opensource-Licensed Software either, at least not, as long as 'relevant' OPENSOURCE/GPL based Code is part of it.

Uncounted Arguments over this have been common, since GPL/Opensource was intruduced. but, whoever creates Mod's, has to be aware, that others eventually will profit, in one or the other way. In contrary, OC-Contributors should actually be glad and greatful to have the opportunity to create some income, instead of expecting unlimited Exclusivity and money-flow because of a few lines of OC-related Coding.

Not everybody will like, what I wrote, I am fully aware of this. But, like it or not, it won't make any difference. There is no such thing as Exclusivity at the web, just realize the facts...

Ernie
I disagree.

You can copyright derivative works and mods i believe easily come under that definition. Nulling these mods is a breach of copyright and so you can easily take action against such offending sites/parties.

I am no lawyer and i could be wrong but from what i have read thats how it is. Even parodies of popular songs can be copyrighted and come under derivative work even though they barely classify as fair-use themselves.

Game Trainers

STN