Post by kds » Tue May 13, 2014 7:51 am

Ok, i dont get what I am doing wrong. How do I set it up to add sales tax only to Michigan residents?

kds

Post by rph » Tue May 13, 2014 8:55 am

In Admin go to System -> Localisation -> GeoZones and select Insert. Give it a name and description. For Country select "United States" and for Zone select "Michigan". Save.

Go to System -> Localisation -> Taxes -> Tax Rates and select Insert. Assign the Tax Name, Tax Rate, Type, and Customer Group. Under Zone select the Michigan zone you created. Save.

Go to System -> Localisation -> Taxes -> Tax Classes. If "Taxable Goods" is still there select Edit. Otherwise select Insert. Under Tax Rate add the Michigan rate you previous created and select the appropriate address for Based On. Save.

Last, go back to your products and make sure under the Data tab they have Tax Class selected ("Taxable Goods" in default).

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by kds » Tue May 13, 2014 9:09 am

Ok that finally works. Only problem now is that it adds the tax before I even select the state. It does take it off if I select a different state. But how do I make it show the tax only after I select Michigan as the state?

kds

Post by kds » Tue May 13, 2014 9:31 am

I figured it out. Apparently in the store settings, under options, use store address was set to use store address to calculate taxes if not logged in. I bet that's causing a lot of people headaches.

kds

Post by Ion_Cannon » Wed May 14, 2014 11:39 am

I'm still having trouble with this. In 1.5.6.4 I have my Use Store Tax Address set to NONE, then I have a Geo Zone for Rhode Island US, and the proper tax rule based on shipping address. But when a customer is not logged in (no state chosen), it still tries to apply the tax to their cart until they choose another state. Retarded...

Post by rph » Wed May 14, 2014 12:18 pm

You misconfigured something somewhere. It works for me.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by Ion_Cannon » Thu May 15, 2014 6:05 am

rph wrote:You misconfigured something somewhere. It works for me.
I was able to fix my issue. I had a default geo zone set to Rhode Island so for any customer it was adding the tax due to the fact that the default Geo Zone was the tax zone. When I changed it (config_zone_id) to 0 in the database it fixed my issue. I just hope I didn't create another one.