Post by rishi » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:29 am

Hi,

I've uninstalled module from admin but files are still in the server. What hapens when uninstall is run from admin? I think only database is deleted, but not sure. How can i completely remove the module files without deleting one by one.

many thanks.

Post by Xsecrets » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:05 am

when you run uninstall it removes the entry from the extensions table of the database, and it runs the uninstall function from the mod. running the uninstall function was only added recently, so many modules don't even do that. If the module created any additional database tables/fields those are most likely still there.

There currently is no way to remove the mod other than removing each file individually. There are several discussions ongoing about the mod/plugin system It will get better at some point in the future. We just don't know exactly when this will arrive at this point.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by kgkaraoke » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:20 pm

It really is a shame. Wordpress allows for plugin removal, but these aren't plugins. They actually patch things, and this is somewhat scary. We bought the UPS Individual Shipping addon today because OpenCart does not pass shipping dimensions on to UPS, and unless you specify a default value in the UPS setup, then UPS will send an error code back as the dimensions will be missing. The addon took care of this problem, but we're quite annoyed with OpenCart because they don't appear to be willing to thoroughly test their software, and when someone posts information as to problems, many times they go unanswered. OpenCart may be free, but so is Wordpress, and Wordpress bugs are quickly fixed.

Ironically we chose OpenCart not because it was free, but because of its ostensible advanced shipping functionality. Sadly, OpenCart has a lot of work to do.

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:08 pm

kgkaraoke wrote:We bought the UPS Individual Shipping addon today because OpenCart does not pass shipping dimensions on to UPS, and unless you specify a default value in the UPS setup, then UPS will send an error code back as the dimensions will be missing. The addon took care of this problem, but we're quite annoyed with OpenCart because they don't appear to be willing to thoroughly test their software, and when someone posts information as to problems, many times they go unanswered. OpenCart may be free, but so is Wordpress, and Wordpress bugs are quickly fixed.

Ironically we chose OpenCart not because it was free, but because of its ostensible advanced shipping functionality. Sadly, OpenCart has a lot of work to do.
Not sure why you are having a problem and the hundreds of other people who use UPS don't, but just because you manage to have a problem in some strange setup does not mean that the software is not thoroughly tested. Even wordpress runs into bugs because it is impossible to test in every possible configuration in the world. I watch the forums very closely and I see VERY few posts that go unanswered, and all bugs (real bugs not feature requests masked as bugs) that I see get fixed very quickly. If you have a real bug you need to post it in the bug report thread and if it is real and repeatable it will get fixed quickly.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Joxe » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:40 am

Hi,

As time pass, I've installed and uninstalled a few modules. Now, I dont use anymore some of these modules I've uninstalled and I'd like to know how can I completly remove them from my Store to regain some web space and optimize the Store.

So, which are the steps I shoulp follow? Thanks!

v. 1.4.9.6 & v. 2.0.2.0

Post by IP_CAM » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:09 am

At present, I install and uninstall Mods and Modules on a daily bases. my way of doing such is:

1. Before uploading new moduls, check the content and make sure that NO existing Source Files will be overwritten by the uploaded content. If so, make a Backup of the Original File by putting an underscore_ to the end of it's filename-extension, that it looks like .tpl_ / .php_ / .etc_

2. Before uninstalling/removing Mods with DB access, I back up my DB as well as disabling/deinstalling the Module/VQMOD in the Admin Section, whenever those Options are given.

3. When uninstalling Moduls, I use the content of the original ZIP File in order to find out wich files have been uploaded into wich subdirectories. With the exeption of possibly some (nice) images, I then remove all files related to the Mod from the Server.

4. After Uninstallation, I call routines as used formerly by the Mod, then check the Admin Error Logs for possible problems, connected the the Module uninstalled.

This way and in most cases, uninstalling Add-On's worked well. To make sure, I regularely back up the entire Shop-Sub into my local PC, or then, rename entire subsections on the server and upload entire subsections again, in order to be able just to switch Names to get the OLD Status back. Eventually, it is required to clean out the DB manually from Fields/Content not longer equired by the Software, but this is sligtly more complicated stuff..

All Newbie-Talk, but for some, it may help...

Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by Joxe » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:26 pm

IP_CAM wrote:At present, I install and uninstall Mods and Modules on a daily bases. my way of doing such is:

1. Before uploading new moduls, check the content and make sure that NO existing Source Files will be overwritten by the uploaded content. If so, make a Backup of the Original File by putting an underscore_ to the end of it's filename-extension, that it looks like .tpl_ / .php_ / .etc_

2. Before uninstalling/removing Mods with DB access, I back up my DB as well as disabling/deinstalling the Module/VQMOD in the Admin Section, whenever those Options are given.

3. When uninstalling Moduls, I use the content of the original ZIP File in order to find out wich files have been uploaded into wich subdirectories. With the exeption of possibly some (nice) images, I then remove all files related to the Mod from the Server.

4. After Uninstallation, I call routines as used formerly by the Mod, then check the Admin Error Logs for possible problems, connected the the Module uninstalled.

This way and in most cases, uninstalling Add-On's worked well. To make sure, I regularely back up the entire Shop-Sub into my local PC, or then, rename entire subsections on the server and upload entire subsections again, in order to be able just to switch Names to get the OLD Status back. Eventually, it is required to clean out the DB manually from Fields/Content not longer equired by the Software, but this is sligtly more complicated stuff..

All Newbie-Talk, but for some, it may help...

Ernie
Hi,
Thanks for your help. That is for sure much more complicated I thought it would be :/

v. 1.4.9.6 & v. 2.0.2.0