Post by Qphoria » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:49 am

This is another quick movie I made to explain how to upload files & folders to your opencart store, as it seems people are often confused by what is assumed to be a simple task.

In opencart, extensions are dynamically loaded into the list when the controller file is found in the correct folder. If you don't see them in the admin area where they should be, then it simply means module isn't uploaded to the correct location. Follow this video to see how to ensure all files get put into the proper place.

Here is a screencast I made explaining file/folder copying WITH AUDIO!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQrgJeOAIQ8

This is probably the first video the entire world should watch when they first get connected to the internet as it applies not only to OpenCart, but ANY and EVERY site script as FTP is something that all sites use. This should be committed to the general knowledge part of your memory.

BE SURE TO WATCH IT IN FULL SCREEN MODE!

Administrator

Post by bcit » Wed May 19, 2010 5:29 am

Thanks for your efforts Q, pretty much useful stuff.

Post by hodet » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:01 am

This also works well with SFTP (WinSCP client) for those who have ssh access to their box and don't run FTP.

Alternatively you can download the opencart provided zip, remove the stuff you don't want and set the root of the directory to match the root of your opencart web directory and rezip the contents. Now upload the newly created zip to the root of your opencart directory and unzip it right on the server. A little quicker then uploading a bunch files over the network.

Post by jcgadgets » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Thank you!!

Such simple but needed info for beginners.

Thank you,
Jared

Post by Qphoria » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:50 pm

Updated with a new screencast, with full audio!

Administrator

Post by marcelwoo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:42 am

SEXY video LOL, the music is just awesome!!!!!

"We help each other to grow". That's the opencart community!

All free mods
Home Based Ebay business Opportunity(not ads)

Post by Qphoria » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:38 am

marcelwoo wrote:SEXY video LOL, the music is just awesome!!!!!
LOL .. been practicing with the video edit tool I have :)

Administrator

Post by Calcite » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:21 am

Nice video, just don't try it with a Mac if you need to keep any files in the original folders!

Mac OsX overwrites folders but also deletes all the original contents so if the upgrade does not iclude all files then any not upgraded in the original folder get trashed.

Don't ask how I know this :-[

Post by Qphoria » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:54 pm

Calcite wrote:Nice video, just don't try it with a Mac if you need to keep any files in the original folders!

Mac OsX overwrites folders but also deletes all the original contents so if the upgrade does not iclude all files then any not upgraded in the original folder get trashed.

Don't ask how I know this :-[
Yea, I used to mention this in my previous videos.. but figured Mac wasn't really used as a web server often enough to bother mentioning.. plus out of spite, if you are using mac, I feel that you need to get your files overwritten so that you have the enlightenment to complain to Apple for being morons and leaving this terribly unintuitive file copy design in their OS for so long, despite all the forums and articles all over the web condemning apple for this.

Administrator

Post by Calcite » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:16 pm

Agree with that, but after many years of windoze I find Mac OSx a joy to use.

I've already felt the frustration of wondering why a custom theme wouldn't work then finding out it had overwritten many of the files in the default folders.

I use Textwrangler now as a comparison programme, and it's excellent for all my OC editing.

Just have to work out how I do an upgrade to my new OC on the server, or is there a stable release coming soon ;)

That way I could do a fresh install and then upload my store.

Anyway I can't than you guys enough for Opencart. It's my first ever foray into Ecommerce and I have found it so easy with the help and advice from this forum.

keep up the good work.

Post by Qphoria » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:31 pm

1.5.2.x with the latest svn patch found here:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 23#p258004
That is always going to be the most stable.
The patch will be updated as more bugs are found, and I am almost done with an automatic update module so you won't need to go to the site to get it.

Administrator

Post by Klimskady » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:53 am

Another Mac user here, and I used Textwrangler too but thankfully filezilla copies the files over without deleting or overwriting the files it shouldn't (or doesn't to my knowledge but not had a problem yet with it!)

Post by RBBlackstone » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:01 am

I can confirm that Filezilla on the Mac does the merge. Transmit asks if I want to merge.

Post by Calcite » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:09 pm

True.

And I just found a way to ftp to the local "webspace" on my Mac so that I can now do updates in a few minutes.

See bottom of my post about Mac tips for a link to the article

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=71413

Or go directly to here

http://blog-en.mamp.info/2009/08/how-to ... -mamp.html

Post by CTB » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:36 pm

i must be thick.
i have admin & catalog folders, but not xqmod.

my host says to upload my site to their httpdocs directory, do i just drag the folders into that directory in filezilla?

CTB

Post by Qphoria » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:48 am

CTB wrote:i must be thick.
i have admin & catalog folders, but not xqmod.

my host says to upload my site to their httpdocs directory, do i just drag the folders into that directory in filezilla?
httpdocs, public_html, htdocs, www, whatever... they are all the "base" of your website. But not necessarily the root of your store. The video shows that.

And yes, if you don't have a vqmod folder then just ignore it. Some mods have them and some don't.

Administrator

Post by greensmoking.ORG » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:14 am

GREAT Vid. Keep on!

Post by tjonnyc » Fri May 03, 2013 11:55 pm

Qphoria wrote:if you are using mac, I feel that you need to get your files overwritten so that you have the enlightenment to complain to Apple for being morons and leaving this terribly unintuitive file copy design in their OS for so long, despite all the forums and articles all over the web condemning apple for this.
(OFFTOPIC) 1000000% correct. But... ha! like Apple is going to care! It's the same retardation as with iTunes deleting the contents of an iPhone/iPad when synced to a new computer. Because while the word "synchronize" means "make contents IDENTICAL" in, I don't know, EVERY SINGLE LANGUAGE and EVERY SINGLE INDUSTRY on the whole damn planet - in AppleWorld, it means "Not make contents identical, but just delete everything, because... because screw you, that's why."

Over 1,1 million Google results for this EXACT problem. Have they ever fixed it? Nooooo. Will they ever fix it? Not until people learn that having shiny crap with rounded corners is NOT a good trade-off for technology that WORKS.

OK, /rant. Thanks for listening.

Post by RedHighHeels » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:37 pm

cheers for the info :) O0

The best online shop to shop for High Heels