Post by Dubblicious » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:51 am

Hello all

I have a Opencart store to sell my photographs and I offer different sizes of the same image for my customers to buy. I created a option called Print Sizes ( the bigger the Print Size the higher the item costs ) and the client selects the size they want before they can add to cart. What I would like to do is have a flat shipping rate based off of the Print Size they selected. Is there any way to have the flat shipping price reflect the iten size selected by the customer ?

The flat rate module that comes with Opencart does not have any options to do multi flat rate shipping base on item size and only does a blanket flat rate. I have in the past just used single flat rate that was somewhere in the middlle but for my customers that buy the small prints they are paying more than needed, and when a customer is buying a large print I have to pay the extra cost of shipping it which can get quite expensive when you are shipping a large stretched canvas.

Thank you for any help given. :)

Post by Johnathan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:54 pm

The only way the options modify products that can be read by a shipping method is that they can change the weight. So you'd need to set up a weight-based rate to do this.

For example, if you set the sizes to 1, 2, 3, etc. then you can create a rate in Weight Based Shipping like this:

1:3.00, 2:5.00, 3:7.00, etc.

to charge $3.00, $5.00, or $7.00 for the different print sizes. Keep in mind that multiple pictures will affect this, though, so it may not work well for multiple small items.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Dubblicious » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:27 pm

Thanks for the reply Johnathan
Guess I will have to look at another method.

Post by Johnathan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:21 am

There are no shipping methods that can base rates on product options, at least at this point. I'm working on something right now, but I'm not sure when it will be finished. Three other options:

(1) If you just need two designations (light or heavy) then you could use option weights of 0 for light items, and 1 for heavy ones. Then you could make a weight based rate that either charges the light rate if the cart weight is under 1 (so thus all light items) or over 1 (so thus at least 1 heavy item).

(2) Use Product-Based Shipping and create a rate for each individual product based on weight. This would work for a combination of items, but you'd need to set up a rate for each product, which could be very time-consuming.

(3) Use Individual Shipping and give customers a shipping choice for each product. You could use my original weight suggestion for this, but the shipping may end up costing the customer more because items would be calculated individually.

Administrator

Post by Signman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:20 am

I also have this need and would be interested in an extension to do this. In my case I am selling aluminum by the inch.

Example product 1
Qty 1 = price per 1 inch

Options add additional inches 2-118 via a drop down list (60 or so option combos) with corresponding additional price added by the option.

The options add additional inches which do not greatly increase the weight, but they do greatly increase the length. So option 60 would be one part 60 inches long. But all shipping calculators I have tried account for the weight, and or the quantity, but not for the length based on the option selected which greatly adds to the dimensional weight.

Length based shipping on the option selected is greatly needed. Right now if the option is changing size (length) that calculation is completely missing from all shipping calculators I can find. First one who conquers this missing piece will win some nice business.

Post by Johnathan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:26 am

Can't you use the weight as the length? So set an option 60 to weigh 60, and then use a weight-based shipping scheme. Do you need the weight for anything else? Usually it's only really used for shipping, so it seems like it should work fine for this purpose.

Administrator

Post by danky01 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:28 am

I have a similar problem. I am sell printed vinyl graphics (decals), License Plates, Vehicle Magnets. I am planning to use USPS Flat Rate Shipping. Each of my products will fit into 1 of 3 different rates, but I don't have any idea how to set it up. I have looked at the Product Based Shipping module, but I'm not sure it would do what I need. If the customer ordered a dozen decals It could still be shipped for the same rate as 1. This one really has me stumped.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Danny

Post by Johnathan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:35 pm

Usually the USPS flat rate boxes work with a volume based system, which you can get in Volume-Based Shipping or Product-Based Shipping like you suggest. Product-Based Shipping is a bit more flexible, as you can set products to have different individual costs, but you may want to just work out the volume of your items so you can specify a single rate for each box, rather than group them together.

Feel free to contact me at www.getclearthinking.com/contact if you haven't already.

Administrator

Post by bruceamo123 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:04 pm

My cart has multiple products. I wish to use weight shipping for one group and flat rate for another group.

Example: Flat rate: $10-$25 ships at $6 shipping
$25+-$100 ships at $10 shipping
$100+ ships at $20 shipping

How can I accomplish this?

Bruce

Post by Johnathan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:55 pm

You can use Product-Based Shipping or Category-Based Shipping to this. You'd set up a total-based rate for each group, and then cost brackets like this:

Note that it would be based on the total of the *group*, though. If you needed it based on the total of each individual item, you'd need to set up a rate for each item, which might be more work than is feasible.

Administrator

Post by bruceamo123 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:45 am

Thank you I have ordered but may need you to install for me as I'm not good at it.

It asked what installation? I wasnt sure except to say my website url- www.burnmystuff.net

Post by Johnathan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:33 pm

Yes, your website URL is your installation domain. If you need help installing it, make sure you read the instructions.txt file and the screencast linked to within. If you need further assistance, contact me at www.getclearthinking.com/contact

Administrator

Post by bruceamo123 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:02 am

thank you it worked!