Post by napok » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi.
I have so many modules installed and the site has become slow, so I want to start fresh. Obviously not loosing all the content, images and customer data.
So I thought I'd give 1.5.6.1 a shot and do a fresh install of it. (I'm currently on 1.5.5.1)
To be sure not to break the live one, I want to do the new setup with a new theme and only the filet of modules, a cache speeding up module (which one, any suggestions?) and possibly also doing away with some of the easy to delete demo files, to have a lean new, fast shop. Then, when it's all working again, put it back into my regular domain.
I have a rough idea. I have managed to set up a store and it's going well for a while now, but this endeavour is a little tricky, because I already have a store running now and I want only a short down time, of course.
What I have only found, is to migrate a whole shop as it is, or to start from scratch, or to upgrade a store with a new oc version. What I want is a new skeleton with all of the data in it, then beef it up bit by bit with the right modules in a more civilised manner than I did when I started a year ago.
Any link to a kind of road map or check list would be great.
Thanks.
Last edited by napok on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by butte » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:56 pm

You can install it, import the older database, then run upgrade on the database. Your identical post :02 later is superfluous (http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 96#p475290).

Guru Member

Post by napok » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Hi.
I didn't realize it was posted twice. Sorry.
I did that yesterday and I broke everything.
I uploaded the 1.5.6.1. files to the spare url
without running the install script or Softaculous,
then exported my current database, created a new one and imported it into that.
Took the current config.php and admin/config.php
because before installing these are not there yet,
changed the urls in them to the new one and pointed them to the new database.
Then I ran the install script.
There were error messages though and the new site didn't work at all.
But my regular websites open cart settings were called 'Array' for some reason
and the meta key words and description was gone.
I had a hunch but not really knew what was going on, because the
url I had done the install was a different url and not just a sub domain,
but on the same server. So I just filled in that information again and didn't worry much more,
as I wanted to go ahead in the near future with the new install anyway.
I then thought to give Softaculous a try, that gave me distinct information
of all the subdomains and add on domains I have on my server.
I chose specifically that new domain and not the one I had my live shop on.
That domain is the one I started out on when I went to open cart last year,
I then migrated my previous website to open cart with the previous url and
this one became free for me now to do a new test site.
But I think that Arvixe, my hoster, has kept this url as the name for my account
or whatever was the reason for the following:
Somehow I didn't install the 1.5.6.1 only on the new url, but
also on my live url, killing most of the modules and database connections.
So I had basically a default theme with some broken images and nothing
worked on my live page.
My normal database had also disappeared.
I was at that point only equipped with my 2 days old backup on my
office hard drive and the new (copied) version of that database.
At first I tried to salvage the system trying to delete open cart files
and over installing the 1.5.5.1 files, but nothing worked.
I then did a fresh install of 1.5.5.1 and put all the files back from my
back up painstakingly slow, because the website is quite large now.
It's working now as before with all the modules and rubbish of course,
because I only wanted it to work again.
This is what I was trying to prevent in the first place.
I'm now thinking that I could do at least a back up on the webserver,
just in case something happens again, because it takes so long
to have the backup transferred through the web.
Also, the new url still says:
Fatal error: Call to a member function isLogged() on a non-object in /home/napok/public_html/hesslejewellery.com/catalog/model/catalog/product.php on line 8

So I'm back to square 1.
I would like to do it right this time:
Try out and build a new oc website with my old database and modules bit by bit until it is running well and then replace the running one with this new sleeker version, in the last minute updating the database.
I'm not even sure if it is already advised to go to 1.5.6.1.
The thing is just that my site is getting slower and I would like to think that starting with a clean install is a good approach.
Didn't think that I could break my running website with this.
I did read some posts before:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=106664
or: http://cartadvisor.com/blog/2012/02/20/ ... ew-domain/
Probably too stupid to read.
If you still help, I would be so thankful.
Also which one of the cache modules you recommend to boost the loading times.

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... arch=cache

I do save on every bite of my large pictures lately, optimizing every image until banding or pixelation occurs and recently have found this little gem that squeezes jps even smaller without quality loss, sort of like tinypng.com does for png's:
http://imageoptim.com/

Thanks!
Alexandra

Post by butte » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:51 am

(1) There might still be database backups. Look for for .sql, .sql.zip, and .sql.gz database backups,

(a) in your account space, below your browsable public area as well as in public_html (or www or other equivalent), stored where you can download them;

(b) in your host control panel under what is usually called Backups, where you can make them as well as download prior ones;

(c) via a support request for a database backup dated before the incident, ESPECIALLY if the host was making basic changes in the account. Hosts' support will ordinarily provide backups they made -- only a few are uppity enough to charge for backups or to refuse using them -- when a database disaster has occurred.

Also see whether in your host control panel you have multiple live databases -- the one that disappeared might have disappeared from config.php but still be intact, and if so, then it will be listed there.

(2) If you happened to have made any admin Backup downloads of the database or even of portions of it (according to whether you selected some or all tables), then you'll have something to start with. Be sure to use the phpMyAdmin Export and Import with phpMyAdmin, and the admin Backup and Restore with the admin, because they have the same database but slightly different syntax in nonetheless .sql files, so if you mix them they won't match up.

(3) If you happened to use an export/import tool (such as JNeuhoff's free one using .xlsx), then you will have at least category and product tables' content.

(4) As you're already painfully aware, reverting to your prior running shop requires both the files and database. Once a new fileset is in place, many, most, or all prior files are already overwritten. You can replenish prior version files from the original .zip file's own /upload/ tree, and from your own copies of those but particularly of config.php files, so going back to a prior version is easy enough on that part. Reverting a database using a backup of it, drawn down and later sent up via OC admin or via phpMyAdmin, is easy enough on that part.

If you haven't a known good database backup, then you'll want to proceed with caution. The current "sort of" upgrade in two directories at once along with a disappeared database should not have happened in one pass. Bungleculous might have done it for you. Always try to install or upgrade OC the basic way, using its own files from its own .zip and its own script.

(5) Normally a hosting account is anchored by a specific domain that you had when you opened the account. If at the time you had only one, it will be that one; if at the time you had more, then it will be whichever you chose. Normally subdomains do not anchor accounts. Beyond that first one, others will be simply hosted or added or add-ons or whatever else the host's lingo happens to be.

(6) Daniel himself and others have commented, from time to time, to effect that an ongoing, stable live shop should often not be upgraded, certainly not just because a new release is out. You acted when a new release was still almost brand new. The problem is not that a new release is bad, but that non-production trials with it help to pinpoint what might need remedies before production upgrades, in particular, would go awry. (Note http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 22#p458429 and http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 22#p466455.)

(7) Don't worry about making double-posts seconds or a very few minutes apart, that can happen while you're waiting to see it loaded and hit it again (same content hours apart becomes counterproductive).

Go ahead and see what turns up in the way of backups and in the way of additional databases, then let us know where you wound up on those. And never mind "too stupid to read," you're NOT; some of the lingo is new to you, and it matters that you are actually trying.

Guru Member

Post by napok » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:27 am

Thanks.
I will try.

Post by napok » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:27 am

Hallo again.
I did try to install 1.5.5.1. again using my old database on my test site now,
as you recommended not to do the 1.5.6.1 yet.
I cleaned out the new folder, copied the 1.5.5.1 upload files.
I then exported my current database and created a new database with a new user and password in which I imported my database backup from my hard drive through mysql.
I then changed the config.php and admin.config.php to point to the new database and the new folder.
I then copied the current image folder into the new installation.
Everything went well and I saw my products with images in admin under products, except clicking on the products leads to a blank page and the front page is blank, too.
Also I noticed that the quantity numbers in admin/products are red and orange instead of black.
I checked the database names and passwords and paths hundred times and even tried to import an older database, installing it again or going through the install routine, changing the database path in the open cart install admin windows.
What do I do wrong?
Best Regards,
Alexandra

Post by butte » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:58 am

That's a relief, you still have most of the work you put into it. You've made good headway there!

Where you're seeing white screens, that can arise from several causes. See what /system/logs/error.txt and /vqmod/logs/ say. If you're using vqmod, remember to rerun its own installer (that completes about as fast as you can blink). Since you can see inside admin it should already be finding its system/startup.php file okay. Proofread the HTTP, HTTPS, and DIR sections of your config.php pair.

Since quantities are appearing in colors where you're expecting black, and since normally the admin theme (which does not draw from the storefront theme) remains the default, are you using a theme that modifies admin? If so, then in admin choose Default theme while you're still wrestling with it.

Guru Member

Post by napok » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:03 pm

Thanks.
I did not have any theme installed.
The theme I used before was not doing anything in admin anyway.
Only database, image folder and new install of 1.5.5.1.
Meanwhile I copied all of my old files from my backup, also
the open cart folders onto the installation and everything worked again.
That's now on the new test site with a different url, even the SEO url's work.
I did do an exact copy of the website on my test url.
But that wasn't the object:
1. I wanted to start fresh with a new install of 1.5.5.1 on a test server, using my old database, the images and content.
2. Reinstall only the important modules, a new theme, a cache module or two to speed it up and keep everything tidy.
I will now do another one in a new folder with a new url and see why the items can't be reached.
I changed so much (without a change log) over the course of the year in the admin and catalogue folders, but that shouldn't influence the workings of the database together with the image folder and a clean 1.5.5.1, should it?
If that doesn't work, I might have to go through my exact copy and replace file by file to see which one is crucial to the working and then take a look at it in particular. That might take a long time.
I think it would be careless, if I just kept a sort of working system with D and E grades in speed and just botched around. If my shop wants to be found it has to go faster, and when growing it will go slower. Once the traffic increases, hopefully, I would be stuck with an installation that is in fact not upgradeable, because it is too customised.
Doing to my original plan in the future, to go to 1.5.6.1 or 2.0 even will then be even harder.
Thanks for your support.
At least I know now how to copy to a different url and get the original site working again from backups as a whole.
Best Regards,
Alexandra

Post by napok » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:41 pm

So I have done a new url and installed 1.5.5.1.
Open cart's default shop worked fine, as was expected on that url.
Then I got my database copied and imported into a new database, pointed the config.php's onto it and did not upload any image folder yet.
I have attached a screenshot with what I meant with red and yellow stock count quantities.
No theme does that, because there is none installed, yet.
If I click on one of the items I get a white page and the front end also only gives a white page.
The same thing happened yesterday when I uploaded the image folder, too.
Then you can see the thumbnails, but nothing else works.
This imported database works perfectly if as I imported it into a new database with all my modules, admin, catalog and system, vqmode etc. folders copied on my other test site.
And it also works on my original site, all with 1.5.5.1.
But not with a fresh install of it.
How can the database be have been coined to run only on a modified system?
And what do the colours from the quantities indicate? That must be in the open cart code.
I'm puzzled.
Best Regards,
Alexandra

Attachments

Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 12.29.41.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 12.29.41.png (165.98 KiB) Viewed 6346 times

Post by napok » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:49 pm

Solved.
I looked at the error log in admin and there were two distinctive errors:
I had a customer testimonial module installed that apparently left its mark on the database.
I then installed it via vqmod and that error was gone.
There was another error pointing to a language problem.
I then installed the german language pack again to no avail,
then I installed the SEO pro module that deals with language specific urls and that did the trick.
I don't think that the admin or the front end should not not work, just because the database stores information for modules not installed.
I guess I now have to always stick with these two modules for the rest of my life, because without them the database is not working fine with a clean install.
I don't mind, because they were anyway on the list to be used for the new launch, but what I said earlier,
it shouldn't be like that.
Here's how my error log looked, in case some one tries the same and is puzzled.
Thank you for your help, butte!
I might give an install with 1.5.6.1 a go in a while,
knowing this.
What do you think?

ERROR LOG

2014-02-18 12:27:53 - PHP Notice: Error: Could not load controller module/ptestimonial! in /home/napok/public_html/hesslejewellery.com/system/engine/controller.php on line 47
2014-02-18 12:28:00 - PHP Notice: Error: Could not load controller module/ptestimonial! in /home/napok/public_html/hesslejewellery.com/system/engine/controller.php on line 47
2014-02-18 12:28:35 - PHP Warning: mysql_query() [<a href='function.mysql-query'>function.mysql-query</a>]: Unable to save result set in /home/napok/public_html/hesslejewellery.com/system/database/mysql.php on line 22
2014-02-18 12:28:35 - PHP Notice: Error: Subquery returns more than 1 row<br />Error No: 1242<br />SELECT DISTINCT *, (SELECT keyword FROM oc_url_alias WHERE query = 'product_id=637') AS keyword FROM oc_product p LEFT JOIN oc_product_description pd ON (p.product_id = pd.product_id) WHERE p.product_id = '637' AND pd.language_id = '1' in /home/napok/public_html/hesslejewellery.com/system/database/mysql.php on line 50
2014-02-18 12:30:00 - PHP Notice: Error: Could not load controller module/ptestimonial! in /home/napok/public_html/hesslejewellery.com/system/engine/controller.php on line 47
2014-02-18 12:30:00 - PHP Notice: Error: Could not load controller module/ptestimonial! in /home/napok/public_html/hesslejewellery.com/system/engine/controller.php on line 47
2014-02-18 12:33:27 - PHP Warning: mysql_query() [<a href='function.mysql-query'>function.mysql-query</a>]: Unable to save result set in /home/napok/public_html/hesslejewellery.com/system/database/mysql.php on line 22
2014-02-18 12:33:27 - PHP Notice: Error: Subquery returns more than 1 row<br />Error No: 1242<br />SELECT DISTINCT *, (SELECT keyword FROM oc_url_alias WHERE query = 'product_id=637') AS keyword FROM oc_product p LEFT JOIN oc_product_description pd ON (p.product_id = pd.product_id) WHERE p.product_id = '637' AND pd.language_id = '1' in /home/napok/public_html/hesslejewellery.com/system/database/mysql.php on line 50
2014-02-18 12:44:21 - PHP Warning: mysql_query() [<a href='function.mysql-query'>function.mysql-query</a>]: Unable to save result set in /home/napok/public_html/hesslejewellery.com/system/database/mysql.php on line 22
2014-02-18 12:44:21 - PHP Notice: Error: Subquery returns more than 1 row<br />Error No: 1242<br />SELECT DISTINCT *, (SELECT keyword FROM oc_url_alias WHERE query = 'product_id=637') AS keyword FROM oc_product p LEFT JOIN oc_product_description pd ON (p.product_id = pd.product_id) WHERE p.product_id = '637' AND pd.language_id = '1' in /home/napok/public_html/hesslejewellery.com/system/database/mysql.php on line 50
2014-02-18 12:44:27 - PHP Notice: Error: Could not load controller module/ptestimonial! in /home/napok/public_html/hesslejewellery.com/system/engine/controller.php on line 47

Post by napok » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:54 pm

Oh, and by the way.
I forgot to mention:
The strange colour coding remained, for the product count.
Apparently. Green means stock from 6 and over,
Red means zero and yellow is for stock 1-5.
Maybe the database got it from some old module of mine?
There is no such module installed right now and my live site
that this is a copy of, has only black numbers, too.
Best Regards,
Alexandra

Post by butte » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:06 am

On 1.5.6.1, sure, go for it, but set up a clone first. And be sure to keep routine backups of all of the still few databases, by both means, admin Backup and phpMyAdmin Export. Those both have .sql files and the same data but the syntax differs slightly, so do not mix methods and files in admin Restore or phpMyAdmin Import. You'll want to avoid future excitement.

A cache may be remembering the colors, or perhaps the color coding is just recognized by the browser even if OC or an extension isn't using it. More likely, though, OC is well aware of the colors and shows them. What matters now is that the thing works.

Congratulations. Go ahead and edit your opening title Solved when you're satisifed that it stays fixed.

Guru Member

Post by napok » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:10 am

Yes.
I will do my test site in 1.5.6.1. and still run the live site in 1.5.5.1 until I'm sure that everything is working fine.
Thanks for your great support!
Best Regards,
Alexandra