Post by mmcdermott1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:12 pm

Is there a module or extension that will allow a customer to add USPS tracking to their checkout if they want it?
We have some orders that get lost (more so international) and we want to give the customer the option of adding tracking (at a cost) if they want it. By default we dont do tracking on orders but we do want customers to add that option if they want. I thought about just making it an "item" but that wouldnt be very easy to use if you didnt know it was an item. I'd rather make it one of the options in checkout.

Any ideas?

Post by labeshops » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:44 pm

How are you printing your labels? Most services like paypal, endicia and stamps.com include tracking free of charge to you, so why not pass this on free of charge to your customers? It looks like you are adding value to them - giving them tracking info - and costs you little or nothing.

Note that international tracking is still spotty as it depends on the recipient country scanning it in to update once it leaves the US, but I include tracking free with every order.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by mmcdermott1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:59 pm

We use USPS and paypal. Domestic (usa) isnt really an issue as much as international orders.
How do you include free international tracking? Are you absorbing that cost in the product? That can get very expensive outside the US

Post by mmcdermott1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:01 pm

By the way, we print our shipping labels with stamps.com. Is there an easier way to do it on paypal both domestically and internationally?

Post by labeshops » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:30 pm

mmcdermott1 wrote:We use USPS and paypal. Domestic (usa) isnt really an issue as much as international orders.
How do you include free international tracking? Are you absorbing that cost in the product? That can get very expensive outside the US
Priority mail includes USPS Tracking (formerly called delivery confirmation) free of charge. See https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail ... tional.htm no matter where you print the label or if you take it to the post office for mailing.

I do not recommend shipping international shipments via first class, even if they are light enough (use the flat rate priority envelope or small box) as I have found in tests those do get lost in a lot of countries or take months! Just adjust your shipping charge accordingly.

In 12 years of running my stores, I've only had 1 package disappear entirely and that was a first class package to India. Priority mail has always either been delivered or been returned to me if unclaimed (though 1 did take nearly 2 years to come back to me from the UK, but that's another story! lol)

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA