Post by SuperJuice » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:29 pm

Any response/feedback/confirmation about my issue raised regarding the GetQuote function call changes?

Post by zrxraver » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:26 pm

First I want to say I realy like OC and the way it is scripted, the best I have seen.
Second I think that at a certain point like now with version 1.4 there should not be more features added in the core code but more in a modular way, so users have a choice to install it or not, and second I realy think you must add a hook system so that developers can more easily hook in with modules instead of editing cores files.
Keep up the good work ;)

Post by Xsecrets » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:45 pm

Rabby wrote:Hi,

The first prority is "Category Status Enable/Disable" for me. O0
Is it developed or it will be only fixed in the upcoming versions?
(if it's already fixed than I don't know where to find this option... :( )
as far as I know it's not "broken".

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Rabby » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:53 pm

Xsecrets wrote: as far as I know it's not "broken".
OK, I didn't mean it's broken..., it was just a "suggested improvement", and I thought that it will be introduced in 1.4. :o

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:50 pm

Rabby wrote:Hi,

The first prority is "Category Status Enable/Disable" for me. O0
Is it developed or it will be only fixed in the upcoming versions?
(if it's already fixed than I don't know where to find this option... :( )
It is not. I have it for 1.3.2 but I haven't updated it for 1.3.4 or 1.4.0 yet

Administrator

Post by ctsalmah » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:31 am

Daniel wrote:
ctsalmah wrote:Need help on this, i have this...

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/myshoppi/public_html/shop/catalog/language/malay/payment/bank_transfer.php:6) in /home/myshoppi/public_html/shop/system/engine/controller.php on line 22

...everytime i checkout/payment in malay language.

Thanks in advance.
you have a space in your language file. check the file that the output was started on.
case close! thank you daniel :-*

Post by i2Paq » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:05 am

ctsalmah wrote: case close! thank you daniel :-*
Next time use the search first as this has been asked and answered before :)

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by mendozal » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:45 am

Hi everybody
When do you tink 1.4.1 will be released?

Post by ctsalmah » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:58 am

i2Paq wrote:
ctsalmah wrote: case close! thank you daniel :-*
Next time use the search first as this has been asked and answered before :)
I did, but did not get the message, silly me :P
but when Daniel note 'check the file that the output was started on'
then i say ... argh ... :D sorry, a newbie I am

Post by sunlady » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:26 am

OK, I just try to create a new page under informations, but the site don´t save it.
I have tried tree time, I create this page, click on save and nothing happen.
How I change this?

Post by reefnut » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:31 am

Very nice work Daniel!!

Was just wondering if there is a import/export module (out of the box) planned in the near future. I realize that someone has one that they must continue to update each release but an out of the box sure would make things easier for all of us.

Post by Qphoria » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:36 am

remember, for each thing feature you want daniel to add to the core, that means he has to support it, slowing down releases and other new features.

Administrator

Post by Yakiv » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:03 am

Qphoria wrote:remember, for each thing feature you want daniel to add to the core, that means he has to support it, slowing down releases and other new features.
There's an old saying, "Many hands make lite work." I think the core should be as robust as possible and more (good) hands should be allowed to contribute fixes directly. I think this is eventually where OpenCart is going - from the sounds of it - so, this is good. It is impossible for one person to manage everything and stay active communicating with everyone too. Mind you, from what I can see, Daniel does a phenomenal job of it, but it must wear on him and thus he will slow down at times. So again, more (good) hands, lite work.

Post by SuperJuice » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:53 am

Can someone (Daniel) please confirm that the following has in fact changed between 1.3.4 -> 1.4.0 and will affect shipping modules.

In catalog/controller/checkout/shipping.php (around line 53-54)

Here is the call to getQuote on 1.3.4 (fresh install)

Code: Select all

$quote = $this->{'model_shipping_' . $result['key']}->getQuote($shipping_address['country_id'], $shipping_address['zone_id'], $shipping_address['postcode']);
Here is the same call to getQuote in 1.4.0 (fresh install)

Code: Select all

$quote = $this->{'model_shipping_' . $result['key']}->getQuote($shipping_address);
Entire array is now passed to the quote function, rather than selected values.

QPhoria, have you come across this?

Post by Qphoria » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:45 am

yep.. that is one of the changes plaguing me at this time.

My long time coding model was that I would keep a single version of the code, using conditionals to switch the small things. This meant only one file to maintain.

In v1.3.2 the getQuote function had no arguments
in v1.3.4 the getQuote function had 3 required arguments
So I made them optional arguments and worked some fancy magic if/else to determine which way to run it.
Unfortunately, without something static like a proper version number in the db or somewhere even more static like the top of the index file, it is very sloppy. for v1.3.4 I was using the existing of a variable in the settings table as my trigger for the version.

But now in 1.4.0, with the changes to the getQuote and others... it's just too hectic and messy to continue this method. Too many changes to keep in one file, and too many conditionals just make it slower and sloppy.

So for v1.4.0 I will have to start fresh and keep multiple copies of each in the zip. Not a big deal really, but it means twice the work if I have to fix a bug in multiple different versions of a file.

Perhaps best I should look into some proper version control system with merge support. Never a big fan of svn and cvs is garbage... For now I'll just clean up and start clean with 1.4.0 code. Hopefully, this last address array is the end of the big changes to these files.

Administrator

Post by cmebd » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:18 am

SuperJuice wrote:Any response/feedback/confirmation about my issue raised regarding the GetQuote function call changes?
V1.3.4
Yup I certainly had problems with AUS Post shipping methods not showing during order process. If a new user/guest registered during the process everything was OK. If a registered user logged in and tried to purchase they couldn't get past the the checkout window - no Aus Post shipping options were available and couldn't get past that.

I have just recently re-installed from scratch and deliberately tested the function in the new install - with your dropbear version everything is working OK.

I had installed, previously, other modules etc, which may (or may not) have been the problem, but so far things seem ok with the order process, in the new install.

V1.4.0
Aussie Post seems to work OK - though not tested thoroughly and a "virgin" install.

Hope this helps.

cheers
christine

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by SuperJuice » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:09 pm

I am not talking about the specific functionality of the Australia Post module, just that a key method used for getting quote data has changed, thus affecting all shipping modules.

In 1.3.4 Australia Post module was broken when it was merged in (not by me), this was resolved with the dropbear editions.

In 1.4.0 it is still not fixed, and is still using the old / broken merged code and not the newer code from the drop bear editions that fixed the old problems. Now when I use the drop bear 2 edition on 1.4.0 I have problems because the way opencart uses getQuote has changed between versions.

I raise this because this will break a whole range of shipping estimation modules, not just Australia Post.

For Australia Post to work correctly, with the correct code, drop bear edition 2 from 1.3.4 should be used, and the function getQuote will need to be fixed/modified so it works with the new way 1.4 calls it.

Qphoria has explained exactly what I have seen, and I needed someone else to confirm it so people didn't think I was going crazy. This is once again an example of how OpenCart has changed in a fairly major way (that will affect all shipping modules) but it wasn't detailed in a changelog, or even in this thread when asked what the changes were.

How long are devs expected to put up with adapting to this constant modification of the core functionality?

Post by bloatedstoat » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Daniel wrote:
sizzlingscience wrote:Hello there,

I've uploaded a new copy of version 1.4.0 and cannot add new categories or products. A error message is flashing up when I click save but the error message doesn't stay on screen long enough to read.

I was getting it to work fine with the previous version, so I'm sure I'm not doing anything differently than before.

Long the new look by the way!

Cheers, Melanie
i've no idea what you are dfoing wrong. others here have managed it fine. i rcomend posting a link to your site in the bugs forum!

I too have this error. It is a validation error that flashes up in red for about a second.
Array ( [name] => Array ( [4] => Category Name must be greater than 2 and less than 32 characters! ) )

The code that throws this error is the "if" statement on lines 268, 269 and 270 within the validateForm() method of the category controller in: /admin/controller/category/category.php

Despite the requirements being met, in my case a category made up of 11 characters, a validation failure is still thrown. If lines 268, 269 and 270 are commented out then the category can be added. The contents of $value['name'] appear to be empty when testing for strlen.

Post by Qphoria » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:52 pm

SuperJuice wrote: How long are devs expected to put up with adapting to this constant modification of the core functionality?
I'll agree the process isn't great at this point. But OpenCart is still "finding itself" and we are at the mercy of the core

Administrator

Post by SuperJuice » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:00 pm

Qphoria wrote:
SuperJuice wrote: How long are devs expected to put up with adapting to this constant modification of the core functionality?
I'll agree the process isn't great at this point. But OpenCart is still "finding itself" and we are at the mercy of the core
That's fine, but I think some pre-warning (open testing before formal release of a new major version???).. or even mentioning it in the changelog would ease the pain somewhat.