Post by sputnik-1 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:00 am

When I was using OpenCart at work I found it difficult to see which tab was being used, due to the light reflecting on the monitor screen. Also when screen shots are taken for documentation the selected tab is not always clearly shown after the screenshot has been printed out to paper.

Bearing this in mind would it make things easier if the selected tab was highlighted with a more prominent color than those tabs that are not selected? Possibly the dividing lines as well could be made a couple of pixels wider and bolder maybe?

TIA

Keith

Post by butte » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:02 am

You can put an applique on the screen to cut glare. On paper the similarity means not enough separation between the colors (brightness, contrast, levels, gamma, whatever).

Version, theme?

In .css find the tabs entries, look for tab, hover, selected, change selected. You're looking for tab / selected / and then bgcolor, background-color, background, background-image, depending upon which theme you're using and who did anything to it. [Bare "color" refers to text and other foreground.]

Each color is essentially "#123456" (3-digit counterparts to that are #135). The first two are red, next two green, last two blue, ranging 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F, black to bright, thus, full black #000000 to full white #FFFFFF among them. In a graphics editor you can play with the value that already sits there till you can tell the two apart. Then use the newly discovered color's number.
Last edited by butte on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guru Member

Post by sputnik-1 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:25 am

Thanks for your reply butte.

Version 1.5.5.1, 1.5.6 both with default themes

I'll tweak the CSS rules with Firebug to get a good contrast.

I still reckon this needs to be done in the core distribution by default, for others to benefit from as well.

Post by butte » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:07 am

That probably does not belong in the core. Both LCD and CRT monitors vary considerably, and most folks avoid sitting where there is glare. Most aren't forced to work in excessive glare, and some places will force employers to stop that (moreover, retaliation against employees backfires). There is nothing to stop you from making selected tabs white on red.

Guru Member

Post by sputnik-1 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:30 am

butte wrote:That probably does not belong in the core...
Thanks for your reply butte.

I'll tweak that in the core when I get around to finishing the documentation.

Regards,

Keith