Post by Xsecrets » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:05 am

how do you even find a computer with ie6 installed to test with?

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by goldndelicious » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:10 am

my work place has ie6 as the standard browser and it employs about 10,000 people. they even have a few NT4 machines that they wont upgrade.

personalised car signs
personalised bedroom door signs
personalised gifts for kids

Post by Daniel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:10 am

this version won;t have the manually order, and order edit. that is coming, but won't be in this version.

After this new version is released I plan to do a few quick bug releases and add some quick features.

I'm also going to add a new bug tracking system to the main site where people can add features requests.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Yakiv » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:11 am

I didn't want to start a filthy word contest over IE6! Who can come up with the worst filthy word for IE6 was not my goal! :-\ :P ...But seriously, I don't think Daniel should give a hoot over that browser!

Post by Yakiv » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:12 am

goldndelicious wrote:my work place has ie6 as the standard browser and it employs about 10,000 people. they even have a few NT4 machines that they wont upgrade.
And they shouldn't be shopping online at work! This is after-all a discussion on OpenCART! ;D LOLZ! ...Again, who cares about IE6! Curse that piece of junk into eternity!

Post by Yakiv » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:14 am

Xsecrets wrote:how do you even find a computer with ie6 installed to test with?
If you have a Dell XP laptop still, it's default installation is with IE6. I guess some people keep them around! ...I think there are sites that will show you how your code will render in that browser too. And IDE's will give you warnings about certain browser versions.

Post by Yakiv » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:16 am

Daniel wrote:this version won;t have the manually order, and order edit. that is coming, but won;t bew this version.

After this new version is released I plan to do a few quick bug releases and add some quick features.

I'm also going to add a new bug tracking system to the main site where people can add features requests.
Coolness. Thanks!

Post by Xsecrets » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:26 am

Yakiv wrote:
If you have a Dell XP laptop still, it's default installation is with IE6. I guess some people keep them around! ...I think there are sites that will show you how your code will render in that browser too. And IDE's will give you warnings about certain browser versions.
well sure if you happen to have a very old computer that you never upgraded laying around. The problem is you can't run ie6 and any newer version at the same time, so how is one supposed to test in ie6/7/8 microsofts answer is some bs about using their virtual machine software to run a different virtual machine for each one. Kinda bogus if you ask me.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Yakiv » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:35 am

Xsecrets wrote:
Yakiv wrote:
well sure if you happen to have a very old computer that you never upgraded laying around. The problem is you can't run ie6 and any newer version at the same time, so how is one supposed to test in ie6/7/8 microsofts answer is some bs about using their virtual machine software to run a different virtual machine for each one. Kinda bogus if you ask me.
I think a lot of developers have multiple machines. So, I guess anything is possible. You can ask Daniel how he tests all of the browser versions. I would be curious to know as well. ...I mean, how do you test Opera 7, 8, 9, 10? Firefox may be easier because of the way it's installed. But then what about the different versions of Apple Safari?

Post by juanper » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:53 am

This Daniel thinks about everything.

Want the best e-commerce ? = "Open Cart"

Use the best browser. = "Firefox"

Out of jokes, it is true unfortunately that still there are enough users who use I.E. ???

Daniel works the best thing that you creates. We hope that finishes this version. ;)

Post by steve-grant » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:54 am

Hi,
lurker here.

Try this for testing against different IE versions- it is very, very useful
http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage
ETester is a free WebBrowser that allows you to have the rendering and javascript engines of IE8, IE7 IE 6 and IE5.5 on Windows 7, Vista and XP, as well as the installed IE in the same process.
IE conditionals and other relevant dom version tests work fine with this.
Last edited by steve-grant on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Xsecrets » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:55 am

I personally just try to use standards compliant code and test with the newest versions of firefox, ie, safari, google chrome, and opera. I usually don't have any problems with older versions of anything but ie.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by FinrodFelegund » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:59 am

what about linux browsers: Konqueror , Epiphany - mostly ..it's pretty impossible to get the same result of your design on all browsers. for examle i was browsing on Konqueror godaddy website...and the site wasant looking well at all :)
and some of u would say i never heard of Konqueror - but...this browsers comes like default with kde on linux..many linux users like it :)
As for me ..i am happy if my websites look ok ..in ie7, ie8, firefox , safari and chrome. For testing ie6 i use

Code: Select all

http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
owner and manager of - superproduse.com

Post by goldfinchpcs » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:08 am

PinocchioFace wrote:WHERE IS MY CART AT BITCH?
Be gentle. He is only human.

I am confident he will deliver.

LISTEN BITCH UNLESS I HAVE THAT NEW CART RAPIDO YOUR ASS IS GOING TO END UP IN BASIL'S LAUNDRY BIN INSIDE FAULTY TOWERS! :'(

See what I have to be watching? All this this STRESS! :o

Post by goldfinchpcs » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:13 am

goldndelicious wrote:my work place has ie6 as the standard browser and it employs about 10,000 people. they even have a few NT4 machines that they wont upgrade.
Do you work for IBM, Virgin, Corus, HSBC, Nationwide or Microsoft?

I know the feeling I use to work for a BlueChip (BlueShit) company and they had similar policy, stopped us from browsing the net. Intranet only.

Post by edge » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:20 am

Try this tool to validate in different browsers.

http://spoon.net/browsers/

Post by goldfinchpcs » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:21 am

Daniel wrote:1 thing left slowing me down. IE6!

Trying to get the templates to match up.
Technology is the key. Sorry but since IE8 arrived I no longer test in 6. I expect people to want improvement and advancement. Working for IE6 is like continuously repairing the body of a 20 year old car and constantly bridging wires as it is expected to run up and down the motorway on a daily basis.

In that case why build new cars, why don't we just build bodies for old cars? I understand that due to the nature of OC and the audience you have to endeavour that everything works. But users of the internet have to realise that the thing is dynamic and they need to keep up rather than drag everyone bag. That goes out to the few anoraks who refuse to use Firefox or upgrade to IE8. Just use firefox.

Post by openmind » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:24 am

Here is your car + T
Last edited by openmind on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Yakiv » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:25 am

openmind wrote:
Here is your car + T
Now that's thinking!

Post by goldndelicious » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:30 am

Close, Alliance & Leicester (now santander) but i've noticed that a lot of big corporate environments simply don't have the need to upgrade their browsers and won't due to the risk of it breaking internal applications, especially if they are old in house written ones. So potentially there is a big IE6 market out there still, and probably will be until corporations decide to upgrade from XP to windows 7.

personalised car signs
personalised bedroom door signs
personalised gifts for kids