Post by Yakiv » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:34 am

Xsecrets wrote:I was excited when magento was announced. All the features they had sounded great. When the first release came out I put it on my local dev server and it was taking like 15+ sec to render a page over the lan. So I waited. They finally fixed the speed somewhat so I did one customer site on it and I won't do another one unless they pay me a truckload of money. It's the biggest steaming pile of crap I've ever seen. Oh I want to change the links in the footer. oh well break out grep cause they are spread all throughout the core files all 200 directories or whatever it is. It's crazy simple links could be in literally any file in the entire cart.
Now THAT is interesting. Thank you, Xsecrets! ...I had considered Magento, but definitely won't now! ...Looking at the features, it seems that I would NEED their enterprise version anyway and it is WAY too expensive for my customers. They would need to pay that price for it and then they would have to pay me on top of it. Not affordable at all.

Has anyone checked out IBM's product? Now THAT has a REAL price tag. No one talks about that software. It's not even in this league, of Magento, PrestaShop, osCommerce and Open Cart. It's called WebSphere and all of the REALLY big boys are using THAT. Check it out:

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/genserve ... e/express/

$29,900 for the "Express" version. $182,000 for the Enterprise version:

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/genserve ... erce/wcbe/

Do a Google search on "wcsstore" and you'll see all of the stores that are using it, because it's in the path of the files for the store installation.

If you want to check out an awesome store, built on this, see this one: http://www.samash.com/

It's a real model for how I would love to see Open Cart's functionality increase. Let's all drool now. :P

...tomatocart is a remake of osCommerce and it looks HEAVY, but impressive.

Post by FinrodFelegund » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:45 am

i never paid for a shopping cart because you will always end up paying for extensions too! and whats left for you then? thats why we love Daniel work so much

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
owner and manager of - superproduse.com

Post by goldfinchpcs » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:18 am

Yakiv wrote:
Xsecrets wrote:I was excited when magento was announced. All the features they had sounded great. When the first release came out I put it on my local dev server and it was taking like 15+ sec to render a page over the lan. So I waited. They finally fixed the speed somewhat so I did one customer site on it and I won't do another one unless they pay me a truckload of money. It's the biggest steaming pile of crap I've ever seen. Oh I want to change the links in the footer. oh well break out grep cause they are spread all throughout the core files all 200 directories or whatever it is. It's crazy simple links could be in literally any file in the entire cart.
Now THAT is interesting. Thank you, Xsecrets! ...I had considered Magento, but definitely won't now! ...Looking at the features, it seems that I would NEED their enterprise version anyway and it is WAY too expensive for my customers. They would need to pay that price for it and then they would have to pay me on top of it. Not affordable at all.

Has anyone checked out IBM's product? Now THAT has a REAL price tag. No one talks about that software. It's not even in this league, of Magento, PrestaShop, osCommerce and Open Cart. It's called WebSphere and all of the REALLY big boys are using THAT. Check it out:

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/genserve ... e/express/

$29,900 for the "Express" version. $182,000 for the Enterprise version:

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/genserve ... erce/wcbe/

Do a Google search on "wcsstore" and you'll see all of the stores that are using it, because it's in the path of the files for the store installation.

If you want to check out an awesome store, built on this, see this one: http://www.samash.com/

It's a real model for how I would love to see Open Cart's functionality increase. Let's all drool now. :P

Why can't this be done using OC? (refering to http://www.samash.com)

I noticed complete page refreshes instead of complete DOM manipulation, all the pages seems to be of the one template style and that is the same as OC apart from the header of OC don't reload on every click (good stuff). Nothing stopping anyone from putting animation in OC???

What is the point you are putting across, speed, looks/feel, manageability, creativity... forgive me if I am missing the point.

Like I said for the price tag of Magento and WebSphere you would expect someone to come round and put all the products in and do all the other things. What Daniel is doing is absolutely amazing, I don't want him to concentrate on beauty leave that to us the users/developers, I like the fact that he does the tricky bits for me ie. code writing and testing, link all the payment modules etc. This leaves me to create front-ends and build my business.

The only thing is I was just about to build another shop then i noticed a version change. So like everyone else I would like to say get on with IT master Daniel you subjects eagerly awaits the pouring of you new offerings.

Another thank you to Daniel for forcing me to pay serious detail attention to php. geek

Post by Yakiv » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:21 am

I don't think you delved enough into the actual functionality of the site.

Post by Xsecrets » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:21 am

lol I did a bid up against IBM for building a shopping cart for someone one time. It was a pretty complex cart. I think my bid came in around 30k IBM was over 100k then they wanted to get a new bid on some requirement changes and IBM was going to charge them 5k just to submit a new bid.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by i2Paq » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:26 am

Yakiv wrote:
That is not a remake but a fork of osCommerce V3, like ZenCart is of osCommerce 2.2.

Looking at their forums not many are using it + no extensions or contributions are available yet.

Their Admin looks like a Ubuntu desktop ;)

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by dbstr » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:31 am

i2Paq wrote:Their Admin looks like a Ubuntu desktop ;)
LOL, just had a look, that's actually pretty cool.. But I could imagine it being annoying to work with for many hours a day :)

Request Reviews v1.0 released.

Post by FinrodFelegund » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:35 am

i know it's not the right place to ask about this, but a lot of ppl are reading and i hope i clear my thoughts:
it's more about seo - when i go to my client competition site, it has on page source <meta name="keywords" content=" blbla an example" i am looking at a product that i added on opencart and has only <meta name="description" content=" blalbla an example" as far i readed it's important for seo to have the keywords specified on html source. I want to hear your opinion ..is that so important ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by Yakiv » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:36 am

FinrodFelegund wrote:i know it's not the right place to ask about this, but a lot of ppl are reading and i hope i clear my thoughts:
it's more about seo - when i go to my client competition site, it has on page source <meta name="keywords" content=" blbla an example" i am looking at a product that i added on opencart and has only <meta name="description" content=" blalbla an example" as far i readed it's important for seo to have the keywords specified on html source. I want to hear your opinion ..is that so important ?
Really off-topic

Post by dbstr » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:37 am

FinrodFelegund wrote:i know it's not the right place to ask about this, but a lot of ppl are reading and i hope i clear my thoughts:
No, and it has been discussed alot of times :) Do a search and you will find numerous posts about it (and a link to Google that states it's not used)

Request Reviews v1.0 released.

Post by FinrodFelegund » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:40 am

i2Paq wrote:
Yakiv wrote:
That is not a remake but a fork of osCommerce V3, like ZenCart is of osCommerce 2.2.

Looking at their forums not many are using it + no extensions or contributions are available yet.

Their Admin looks like a Ubuntu desktop ;)

there are no extension because the admin is writed on extjs someone correct me if i am wrong - and u must be very good at that to write a module but if u look at the roadmap when the stable version will be relesed will have most of the features opencart has. but in that day opencart will be far away :d

Post by FinrodFelegund » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:41 am

dbstr wrote:
No, and it has been discussed alot of times :) Do a search and you will find numerous posts about it (and a link to Google that states it's not used)

thanks man !!! i feel better now !

Post by openmind » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:36 am

Yakiv wrote:Has anyone checked out IBM's product? Now THAT has a REAL price tag. No one talks about that software.
Yakiv wrote:search on "wcsstore"
Yup, I played with it a couple of year ago, big/medium size software company sales ecommerces made with IWS, that's why you find the "wcsstore" on google, it has a Rad ide that help you to develop a new ecommerce "faster", the problem is this isn't a product for amateurs like many as us, you need power, money and employees with high salary becouse the knowledge to develop in it is important.

It's too a question of bussiness and marketing.... don't forget add to the budget oracle.

You can't compare IWS even with magento.

I still prefer OC, easy, simple and faster in any enviroment, it took me hours understand and memorize all classes, the other product need month or even years.

Post by muflon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:33 am

Should I wait or should I go sleep? :)

Thank you for your work Daniel

Post by Daniel » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:11 am

not sure.

I have one thing left to do before its finished but then i have to write the upgrade stuff and upload the work.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by FinrodFelegund » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:29 am

we are waiting !!! take your time . best regards

Post by Daniel » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:16 am

have to release tomorrow. its getting a bit late. everything is done just need to do all trhe install stuff.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by sparkybarkalot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:20 pm

Since everyone has something to say about Magento in this thread, I'll add my two cents. Magento is just so much huger, slower, and more complicated than OpenCart. It took me probably a week to do a custom template for Magento and took me only a few hours to do one for OpenCart. I needed to hide free shipping for an item and forget about trying it in Magento, but in OpenCart it took about 5 lines of code in an easy-to-find file. OpenCart has been a godsend for developers like me working for smaller clients. Sure appreciate all your work Daniel! From now on, every shopping cart quote I give to a potential client is going to factor in a donation for your work. Awesome!

Post by i2Paq » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:44 pm

sparkybarkalot wrote:Sure appreciate all your work Daniel! From now on, every shopping cart quote I give to a potential client is going to factor in a donation for your work. Awesome!
Now that is the Spirit!

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by juanper » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:10 pm

sparkybarkalot wrote:... Sure appreciate all your work Daniel! From now on, every shopping cart quote I give to a potential client is going to factor in a donation for your work. Awesome!
Good, we should do this all the users to be grateful to Daniel for your time being employed at this wonderful project.
From here I ask when someone installs a new O.C. for commercial use, donate something to the author Daniel. ;)

Juanper.