Post by CaptainHaddock » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:27 pm

Our vintage art shop is now online. Please let me know what you think.
It is a responsive design so hopefully works OK on a range of devices and screen sizes.
It has about 2000 products and eventually will have about 5000 so we are keeping an eye on speed.
We are migrating from an OS Commerce site we built in 2006 and this is our first Opencart site. We are loving Opencart!

We welcome any comments or tips.
Thanks.
Last edited by CaptainHaddock on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by MarketInSG » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:13 pm

Looking great. But would it be better if the logo can be in transparent png?

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by CaptainHaddock » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:49 am

Thanks MarketInSG,
We will consider that. We didn't spend a lot of time on that logo, was done quickly when we first set up Opencart and probably worth a bit more effort.
Cheers

Post by butte » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:55 am

Nice, and getting there. Two essential aspects to putter with, contrast including logo both if transparent and the duality of light and dark text, against both the maroon and the green. The logo is garish on white on maroon but if transparent would not separate from the maroon, worsening the lack of contrast seen in the black text on maroon in About, where the yellow text stands out. The logo if transparent would not work against the green, either, standing likewise to be worse than the black text against the green. I agree with MarketInSG that transparency seems preferable, but you would want to play with how not to lose the critter. That could fall out of amending the maroon and green, perhaps a hex notch or two at a time, so as to favor the black text, and with it the critter. Has theme/journal/.

There are non-oceanic flying fish? That would certainly give drivers something to talk about while driving through clouds of bugs plastering windshields on summer evenings near lakes, punctuated by an occasional whump.

Guru Member

Post by CaptainHaddock » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi Butte,
Thanks for your review and suggestions. I agree with you, the logo needs improving. I will "putter" with it as you suggest !

Watch out for those non oceanic flying fish :-) They are the ones you find closer to coastlines but I think you are safe in your car. I believe "oceanic" refers to fish that are found far from land. We use the terms the original illustrators used in the olden days. That print of an oceanic flying fish is based on a scientific illustration that was made over 200 years ago.
Some of the old pictures we collect are quite intriguing. We always thought this one from 1860 rather fanciful: http://www.finevintageart.com/edmonston ... walrus-429
...until I recently read about The Carrington Event - a massive solar storm that hit earth in 1859 and caused spectacular aurora.
I digress...back to polishing my shop.

All the best
CaptainHaddock

Post by dmsims » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:35 pm

Up/down arrows next to quantity on product page are in wrong position

Consider using an extension to update the price shown when choosing an option (e.g. size)

Post by CaptainHaddock » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:21 am

dmsims wrote:Up/down arrows next to quantity on product page are in wrong position

Consider using an extension to update the price shown when choosing an option (e.g. size)
Thanks.
I like your suggestion to update price when choosing options. I have implemented this extension which works well:
http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... load_id=31

Not sure what you mean by up/down keys being in wrong position. Pressing the up one increases quantity which is what I would expect. The keys are next to the quantity. Would appreciate it if you could explain your comment in case I've overlooked something about the quantity keys.

All the best
CaptainHaddock

Post by butte » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:55 am

In Firefox 23.0.1 for quantity of product all of the arrows I see are exactly where they belong, to the immediate right of the box bearing the number, and one above the other, the upper incrementing and the lower decrementing the number quite properly up or down by one at a time, all as a unified display of number and settability at once -- George Shaw's Oceanic Flying Fish to the rescue, yet, again.

Guru Member

Post by dmsims » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:07 pm

Glad you got the price update working

As to the arrows they work fine on quantity (I cannot reproduce the odd layout before)

Post by CaptainHaddock » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:43 am

Butte and Dmsims,
Thanks for the feedback.
I made a new logo that matches the site color scheme. It's a stylized image rather than a picture and seeing it on the site I now agree it is better having a logo that matches the rest of the colors.

I welcome any comments about our site:
http://www.finevintageart.com/

I have tested it on PCs, macs, laptops, iphone and Nexus 4 phone and all the popular browsers.
I haven't had chance to test it on an ipad or similar device as I don't have one. If any one is able to do that that would be great - I am especially interested in how easy it is to use the megamenu on a touch screen

All the best
CaptainHaddock

Post by butte » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:21 am

Elly Elephant works nicely, doubles as a favicon, as well. Name beside it isn't quite "there" but Elly is the biggie. Well done.

Guru Member

Post by dmsims » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:32 pm

Logo is nice :)

Maybe just me but I find the yellow line that moves from left to right underneath the slider quite distracting. I am trying to look at your products and end up watching the line move instead

At 1024x768 the header is slightly messed up, this time I did a screenshot :)

The facebook flyout loads a lot of stuff!!

Post by butte » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:55 pm

The yellow line warns you that you'd best look quick, the thing is about to repaint. But it one way or another it can be killed (dead or transparent). The mounted yellow and white block creatures from outer space in the upper right corner of the landing need to be radioed instructions for fitting in so that nobody suspects they didn't originate here -- as-is they are visually the most important part of the page, arresting attention about as well as a cyclops eye and eyebrow would in a public elevator.

Guru Member

Post by CaptainHaddock » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:22 am

Butte and Dmsims,
Thanks once again for your helpful feedback. All good stuff.
I've fixed the problem with formatting at 1024x768px
I've changed the cart area to blend in a bit more.
I've removed the yellow timer line from the slider. I agree it was distracting.
I've now played with it on various ipads and it seems to be quite easy to use via a touchscreen which was one of our main objectives.

We welcome any feedback on the site (e.g. look and feel, design, speed, how well it works on mobile phones, ipads etc):
http://www.finevintageart.com/

All the best
CaptainHaddock

Post by butte » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:19 pm

Much improved. Social symbols in white do not separate well from their FD0017, elephant is bold as it should be at FDCF17 on maroon, text at D39511 separates well from maroon. Subduing the search area from FFFFFF to coordinated D39511 would leave the 000000 glass and text separated, as well as allow glass and text there to be maroon. Subduing the social symbols to D39511 would separate their white.

Guru Member

Post by dmsims » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:48 pm

Excellent progess!

Android 7" tablet in Portrait mode:

There is a black 10mm border down either side

On a product the size options are very close together making selection very tricky - I tried to zoom in using 2 finger pinch - It does not work

I find the black text on the browny/green background hard to read

You could make the telephone number a link which is very useful for people on phones

Post by butte » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:21 am

The "browny/green" for maroon/green may mean that brightness or color depth on the device is showing deeper red than a normal computer lcd or crt will. Certainly most cellphone users will not have a clue how to fiddle with any color settings, if they get past brightness. The maroon, now 670000, can be adjusted to a standard 660000 or brought up stepwise (77, 88, 7D, 8D, etc.) toward 990000 to see where the apparent color shift becomes counterproductive; it will vary among even computer lcds and crts anyway. That sort of fiddling relative to various devices will tend to find a happy middleground.

Guru Member

Post by LonelyCary » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:24 am

Your website seems pretty interesting. I'm curious do produce those canvasses yourself or do you order them from a supplier?

Can you learn to sing or can you just sing no matter what? :-)

Post by butte » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:38 pm

Guru Member

Post by CaptainHaddock » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:03 am

LonelyCary wrote:Your website seems pretty interesting. I'm curious do produce those canvasses yourself or do you order them from a supplier?
Hi, we make them ourselves.