Post by Kevin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:18 pm

I've read the Documentation section but it's all pretty much Greek to me. I want to build a store using OC but don't know how to upload it to my current host (godaddy which has been a nightmare).

SO I want to transfer one of my other domain names (not currently hosted anywhere) somewhere else and upload OC to that host. Any suggestions on a hosting company that is more friendly to OC installation - like one that maybe has some video tutorials etc.?

I thought I could handle this but it's more invloved than I imagined, and I can't see anywhere around here where there's anything that starts someone out at square one. It all seems jumbled up to me. Not complaining just wondering where to start to learn the very basics I need to know in order to start making sense of all this.

Thanks, Kevin.

Post by Qphoria » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:22 pm

well square one is getting off of godaddy and going with a normal shared host that uses the ever popular "cpanel". HostGator is my top recommendation.

The next step is learning cpanel and how to create databases and work with FTP programs. Its not too hard really.
Once you get that, then you move onto installing scripts and cart programs

There are some sites if you google "cpanel for dummies" and "ftp for dummies" that can help you.. then you can know how to install the cart and create a database for it.

Administrator

Post by Inspired » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:44 pm

I installed OpenCart on a GoDaddy account and it worked just fine.

You say you don't know how to upload OpenCart to GoDaddy? You just use ftp, like you would with any other hosting company. To install a database on GoDaddy you go to your hosting panel and click "install database".

Could you tell what exactly you think you can't do with GoDaddy? Maybe changing hosts isn't necessary.

Post by Qphoria » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:31 pm

Seriously? Godaddy installing a database is more like:

Traverse through 7 unintuitive page clicks of their proprietary control panel
Create the database
Wait 5-10 min while its "pending"
Get some non-standard information about the db

In a normal site that uses cpanel:
Click "Mysql DB Wizard"
Enter DB name
Enter DB User/pass
Done.

No pending, or waiting, or anything silly.

Just IMO i guess, but once you've used cpanel, you just can't use anything else.

Administrator

Post by orionweb » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:50 pm

GoDaddy is notoriously bad, I also recommend HostGator!

Post by JNeuhoff » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:48 am

I agree, Hostgator is a better web host, I have several demo stores and some customer's live stores running on their servers. You can find a summary of the hosting details on my MHC Design site, see link below on my signature.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by cmebd » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:41 am

i can highly recomment http://nexcess.net nothing is ever a problem and things just seem to work...... I have been with them for 3 years now!

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by Inspired » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:48 am

Qphoria wrote:Seriously? Godaddy installing a database is more like:

Traverse through 7 unintuitive page clicks of their proprietary control panel
Create the database
Wait 5-10 min while its "pending"
Get some non-standard information about the db

In a normal site that uses cpanel:
Click "Mysql DB Wizard"
Enter DB name
Enter DB User/pass
Done.

No pending, or waiting, or anything silly.

Just IMO i guess, but once you've used cpanel, you just can't use anything else.
On GoDaddy you
* Click "Create database"
* Enter description
* Enter DB name and pass
* Press "OK"

How is that different from cPanel? It's only a one page process, hardly 7 pages like you mention.

Post by Qphoria » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:14 am

getting there is the trouble.
You have to login to the godaddy site.
Then choose which domain
Then choose hosting, but then you have to relogin
Then finally get to the database page..

i can't remember the whole path as I don't have it in front of me.. but I've done a few upgrades and installs for clients with godaddy and the dumbest thing is the waiting game. Create the db and then wait for it in pending state for 5 min

I think you're the first person to ever stand by godaddy

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:20 am

I can tell you what you can't do on godaddy. Have a site that loads in a reasonable amount of time. Seriously godaddy hosting is notorious for slow page loads. The only other one I can think of off the top of my head that's worse is dreamhost.

oh and try to upload more than one file at a time I dare go ahead just try it. ;) If I'm uploading a large number of files uncompress I generally run 4 threads at a time to speed things up. godaddy only allows one, and worse than that trying to figure out how you would go about decompressing a single file if you tried to upload that way is a nightmare I'm still not even sure if it's possible.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Inspired » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:35 am

I'm sorry, I didn't want to start a battle about this. It's your good right to choose another host than GoDaddy.

I just wanted to point out to the original topic starter that you can install OpenCart on GoDaddy just fine. He will have to learn the basics of ftp and creating a database on any host, not just on GoDaddy.

Post by Qphoria » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:12 am

The process on godaddy is still much different than cpanel, and cpanel is what most good hosts use. I'm not sure which is easier

Administrator

Post by webrudder » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:13 am

Kevin,
If you are still having trouble, we are running a free promo right now that includes free basic OpenCart install. Just use coupon code "OpenCart" when you sign up. We love the OpenCart product and like increasing its user-base. We like to help out here in the community when we can.

WebRudder.com Support Team
Business Class OpenCart hosting in the cloud at: http://www.WebRudder.com
FREE basic OpenCart install when you sign-up for a Small Business, Business, or Enterprise hosting plan

Post by tommyla » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:42 pm

you can go here
1. https://hostingmanager.secureserver.net
2. login with your godaddy username and password
3. Go to Settings > Manage FTP Users
4. change ftp user password
4. Go to Database > MySQL
5. Create Database
6. besure to write down the database/user/passwords etc ;)

Location - Norway

Post by Kevin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:38 pm

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I subscribed to my thread, but still I never received any notifications of all these replies. I just made sure my email was correct and that I am in fact subscribed, but still received no notices. No big deal & not complaining just wanted to explain why I have not replied. I haven't really made any progress since my initial post but I did get a HG hosting package.

Webrudder, I hope it isn't too late to take advantage of the free basic install, if I am qualified because I guess I have already "signed up". When I first discovered OC I thought I was just supposed to download it to my desktop and start populating it with product, then upload the whole shebang to a host, what a greenhorn eh. It downloaded something alright but I soon discovered it's not a desktop app. Yes I am that ignorant about shopping carts. I am supposed to have an IQ of 125 - 130 but I feel like it's more like 80 when it comes to navigating some of the many different applications and systems one needs to build a decent website, and integrate other applications to it.

I built one at Doteasy about 4 years ago (http://www.powdercreeksawmill.com) and I use PP scripts to sell my products from it, and it works okay but I need something far more efficient and flexible so I can list significantly more products and have more options. Especially inventory control, because all of my items are one-of-a-kind, so once purchased, the software needs to prevent the item to be purchased again (like a "Sold" appearing across the picture while simultaneously rendering the ATC button disabled, until another item is uploaded in its place. For now all I can do is show examples of what the customer can expect, but the % of sales would increase dramatically if the actual item for sale were visible.

In addition, although I did not build my other site (http://www.dovetailspline.com) I do maintain it and have made significant changes to it, and learned how to use the html editor to install the video player, add new products, remove products and PP buttons, change position of images, rearrange page layouts etc. for things that the wysiwyg editor cannot do, so I am not totally inept.

You might be wondering why I laid all that background; it's because I am trolling for a tutor, and don't want a potential one to think he/she would be dealing with a total igmo and thus pass on the offer. I know how it is trying to help someone who cannot quickly grasp new concepts and systems; that's not the case with me . . . my issue is time. Yes we all have the same 24 hours in a day but I can't allot several hours each and everyday to get over this learning curve on my own.

Sooooo . . I would like to buy blocks of time from someone who is very familiar with OC and who can spend a few minutes - or more than a few minutes - a day with me when I hit snags as I journey through this process. I am not in "panic mode" and wouldn't expect anyone to be at my beck and call. I have been trying to get a new site built for a year. I hired two different alleged webmasters and neither could deliver, so with someone's help - or without - I finally figured I have to do this myself. With help would be my first choice.

The domain for the site I need to build is w.flameboxelder.com and is not currently hosted anywhere. Reg thru GD, but I suppose I will move it to HG. At any rate, the help I need is installing OC to my HG account, and populating the cart with product. I need a template built too I think because I have not found one that would accommodate the layout I need.

I know I am asking and hoping for a lot, but if anyone out there is doing this full time and has another life ring to rent, I am interested in renting it. My email is the best way to reach me, and I will call on my nickel. If after speaking with me you are not interested no hard feelings. In the meantime I'll be looking to see what tutorials/videos etc. are available for OC.

Many thanks to everyone who makes this software, forum, and support possible.

sales(at)flameboxelder.com

Post by Kevin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:48 pm

I guess my last post was way too much information. :)

Let me try again. Are there any members who know OC very well that do prepaid phone consults?

Post by webrudder » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:22 am

Kevin you would have to sign up for a hosting plan with us at http://www.WebRudder.com for the free OpenCart install performed by the WebRudder team. We are not affiliated with OpenCart, only the OpenCart community. Sorry for the confusion.

WebRudder.com Support Team
Business Class OpenCart hosting in the cloud at: http://www.WebRudder.com
FREE basic OpenCart install when you sign-up for a Small Business, Business, or Enterprise hosting plan

Post by tonyb299 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:25 pm

Some hosts set up a database for you when you get a hosting package. The host i use, One.com does that and in your welcome email you get all the info you need to set up OC i.e DB Name, Password, Etc.

FTP is very easy though, if you can drag and drop in windows then you can easily master ftp. i use filezilla, its free and simple enough for me but looks like it can probably do a lot more to satisfy more advanced users.

picture mouse mats and mugs

Location - East of England, UK

Post by tonyb299 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:51 pm

Kevin wrote:I guess my last post was way too much information. :)

Let me try again. Are there any members who know OC very well that do prepaid phone consults?
best place to ask that question would be in the commercial support forum down near the bottom of the main board index. there are usually plenty of folk looking for a project to take on.

But it is my gut feeling, that you would be as well finding a host that pre-configures a DB for you as mentioned in my last post. I have never configured a DB in my life, yet i can do an installation of OC on a preconfigured DB at one.com in quite literally minutes
Below is an example of the email containing all the info you will need (stuff highlighted is everything you need to set up opencart). www.filezilla-project.org Filezilla is a totally free FTP program

picture mouse mats and mugs

Location - East of England, UK