Post by Qphoria » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:06 am

gomezstudio wrote:open cart is better but i dont like the modules system because need to be change files to add modules files.
Negative. The module system is completely dynamic when used correctly. 99% of all my modules, payments, and shipping are plug-n-play and require no manual code changes. simply upload the files and you are done. Even upgrades won't delete the modules

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:15 am

Qphoria wrote:
gomezstudio wrote:open cart is better but i dont like the modules system because need to be change files to add modules files.
Negative. The module system is completely dynamic when used correctly. 99% of all my modules, payments, and shipping are plug-n-play and require no manual code changes. simply upload the files and you are done. Even upgrades won't delete the modules
well modules that do nothing more than sideboxes or order totals or payments can be dynamic, but try to create a report without having to edit the menu files. Then there's the issue if you want to add anything anywhere inside of the content of any page.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Qphoria » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:31 am

Right, but now you aren't talking about modules any longer. The better term is "Extensions"
Extensions cover:
Modules
Payment
Shipping
Order Totals

All of those should be 99% edit free and dynamic.

Administrator

Post by MWYS » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:49 am

Daniel wrote:Horizontal tabs it is then.
Hi Daniel,

Great news about the new upcoming release, I love the screenshots of the admin interface. I've used Magento in the past and i did personally feel it's admin interface was great and very well laid out and it's a huge improvement from the current one.

I would though, suggest that a vertical structure be used as on my custom versions of OpenCart i have additional tabs on the product page, along with alot of other extensions that add extra 'tabs' to the Product pages, or other areas.

Having it horizontally restricts it so you can only add 'X' amount of tabs, but having a vertical structure means you can technically add as many tabs as you like without complication.

I feel for the best interest of customisability and expansion the structure should be vertical opposed to horizontal. I would probebly change it to vertical on my own installations if it was released as horizontal anyway, so no biggie, but just a thought.

Post by johnsky » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi Daniel, :)
OpenCart is great but i think, now you must focus on competition with other good shopping carts. OpenCart needs 2 major and important things,

1- Extra Fields (Add Personal Fields)
2- Automatic SEO URL (with simple settings in admin, for beginners)

Almost all of good shopping carts on the web have these modules basically, and these are important for a good SHOPPING and online store , so it is better in the next version focus on these 2 major things.

Best Regards. :)

Post by Daniel » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:41 am

johnsky wrote:Hi Daniel, :)
OpenCart is great but i think, now you must focus on competition with other good shopping carts. OpenCart needs 2 major and important things,

1- Extra Fields (Add Personal Fields)
2- Automatic SEO URL (with simple settings in admin, for beginners)

Almost all of good shopping carts on the web have these modules basically, and these are important for a good SHOPPING and online store , so it is better in the next version focus on these 2 major things.

Best Regards. :)
The Automatic SEO URL can cause big problems.

if you change your title then any pages with a high ranking posistion maybe lost because the url will have changed. its better to have these things sepearte and so if you change the title than that will be reflected in the search engines but not as new pages.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:16 am

Just use the slug addon to auto-fill in the field at the javascript level for you when adding new products
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 052#p41052

Administrator

Post by nicudica » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:54 am

Hi everybody,

Another important module could be, an automatic installation module for other free or commercial modules which are released.

I'm able to contribute an developing together with other users of open cart, such of module for free.

Best regards and Happy New Year.

Location - Bucharest / Romania

Post by SuperJuice » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:47 pm

I have skimmed the thread.. but haven't seen it mentioned.

Will 1.3.5 provide an upgrade path for 1.3.4? ie. can I 'upgrade' from 1.3.4 to 1.3.5 without having to wait for someone in the community to write an upgrade script as was required in the past?

I am all for progress, but think this really needs to be sorted out as a priority.

Also, will a changelog be included in the release?

Keen to see the new version.

Cheers.

Post by Daniel » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:05 pm

SuperJuice wrote:I have skimmed the thread.. but haven't seen it mentioned.

Will 1.3.5 provide an upgrade path for 1.3.4? ie. can I 'upgrade' from 1.3.4 to 1.3.5 without having to wait for someone in the community to write an upgrade script as was required in the past?

I am all for progress, but think this really needs to be sorted out as a priority.

Also, will a changelog be included in the release?

Keen to see the new version.

Cheers.
yes. So far there are no new db changes so it could be a case of just replacing the files.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by ddwalker1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:18 am

While horizontal tabs might look best, going vertical will allow space to grow later (if you need to).

Post by Daniel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:13 am

forget about the tabs. I have come up with some changes to the template.

i'm hoping to rlease this week.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by ddwalker1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:21 am

Awesome, but don't let us low your great product down. Do what you think you have to. Thanks.

Post by t3s7 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:17 pm

Hello!
I would like to thank you for such a fantastic product like OpenCart.
New admin template is insane and very comfortable. It will be even more confortable when its out :D

@Daniel - I assume that you used your own framework for OC? OOP is very powerful. Thanks one more time. O0

Post by Yakiv » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:58 am

It is good news, that 1.3.5 is on the way. The admin screen shots look good.

I downloaded PrestaShop. I saw right away that they have a separate area in the directory, for modules that you can simply drop in and install. To me, this is the major thing that is lacking in Open Cart and I consider it a show-stopper for any serious developer that needs to do work for customers and maintain the software.

I have not even attempted to install any so-called modules for Open Cart because the methodology is insane. If you only have to install one module, then fine. But if you have multiple modules, then you have to worry about conflicts and overwriting files that may have been necessary for another module. You are then required to hack the core to get the modules to all work nicely.

Q can say that he has modules that don't require this, but these are paid modules and the truth is that the files still get installed in among the core files, making it a pain to go in and pull out files from core folders if you need to uninstall a module.

Take a look at PrestaShop's structure for the modules. It beats OpenCart hands-down. So, if OpenCart really wants to make a significant improvement, fix the way modules work and are installed/uninstalled. That would save us all from getting constant migraines.

Post by openmind » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:05 am

Daniel wrote:v1.3.5 is nearly finished.
Great!! Excelent job Daniel! It's my favorite ecommerce, easy, simple and faster, can't expect anything else.

if still needed, I vote for horizontal

Thank you,
Martin.

Post by Qphoria » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:25 am

Yakiv wrote: Q can say that he has modules that don't require this, but these are paid modules and the truth is that the files still get installed in among the core files, making it a pain to go in and pull out files from core folders if you need to uninstall a module.
I can say it... but I didn't. I simply showed you that I could make a mod to the way files load that will pull the files out of the separate folder. I said that with a few lines of code you could do the separate folder thing.. Still OpenCart performs better than presta... at least that seems to be the popular commentary about people who've switched from presta to opencart.

Administrator

Post by ddwalker1 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:00 am

Yakiv wrote:It is good news, that 1.3.5 is on the way. The admin screen shots look good.

I downloaded PrestaShop. I saw right away that they have a separate area in the directory, for modules that you can simply drop in and install. To me, this is the major thing that is lacking in Open Cart and I consider it a show-stopper for any serious developer that needs to do work for customers and maintain the software.

I have not even attempted to install any so-called modules for Open Cart because the methodology is insane. If you only have to install one module, then fine. But if you have multiple modules, then you have to worry about conflicts and overwriting files that may have been necessary for another module. You are then required to hack the core to get the modules to all work nicely.

Q can say that he has modules that don't require this, but these are paid modules and the truth is that the files still get installed in among the core files, making it a pain to go in and pull out files from core folders if you need to uninstall a module.

Take a look at PrestaShop's structure for the modules. It beats OpenCart hands-down. So, if OpenCart really wants to make a significant improvement, fix the way modules work and are installed/uninstalled. That would save us all from getting constant migraines.
I think the oc code is well orgainized and quite modular. As with all modular apps, you have to have a way of connecting the pieces to make the whole. In terms of code clashing and code problems as a result of updates, just do proper testing within a NON CRITICAL environment before going live.

Anyway, as far as I can tell OC is working out well. As a TCL programmer I can really appreciate the modularity and the thinking that went into it. As soon as I get beyond the completion of about 10 websites, I'll look into writing some custom code for oc.

Post by Xsecrets » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:33 pm

Blogexecute wrote: For those who buy a module should have updates for free.
so I'm guessing when a new version comes out that breaks your fancy theme you wrote all to pieces you are going to fix it up and give out a new version to everyone who bought it for free?

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by ddwalker1 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:37 pm

Again, the preferred method of moving to a new version of any software should be to test in within a different directory in a less critical setting. You can use NOTEPAD++ to compare and merge your code with any future updated modules for testing purposes -- if you don't do it no one else will.