Post by shepscrook » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:45 pm

I've implemented opencart for 2 companies and there's a new need for them that was not previously mentioned.

I'm in need of a combo discount where the discount is for any items out of a group.

So for example:

The store has 20 different kinds (Colors and sizes) of filters for cameras.
If a customer wants to get a discount, they need to purchase at least 5 of any filter (does not matter the size or color).

From what I've seen, opencart only gives a discount based on X number of a specific item. And most of the modules I've looked at only give discounts based on a select group of predetermined items as a combo discount, or only 3 items for a combo discount. I need quantities of 5, 10 and maybe more of any size, color selected by customer combo discount options. Of course, all of these filters are listed in the same category.

Does anyone know how to do this, or if there's a module that can do this?

Post by butte » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:58 am

(1) Whatever can do "3" is told "3" -- which can be changed to whatever else, "N".

(2) A filter "kit" of predictably popular choices can be offered. Most people do not want forty-eleven sizes or forty-eleven colors -- and wouldn't know what to do with them unless they were already fussy enough not to be concerned about price (there are several premium brands, there are grades within each premium brand, and best of best is usually not discounted enough to talk about). Part of the idea should be to save yourself work, so narrow their choices to popular ones.

(3) Filter "kits" for each of several fixed numbers (5, 13, 85, whatever) can be offered with options to choose colors and sizes. Your own workload is elevated, you must read it, pluck 'em, stuff 'em, and ship 'em -- customer by customer.

(4) Thus, not quite in jest, (a) either by hand or using the native features, and (b) the module is either human or OC.

(5) You'll want to be fairly sure how many filters of how many brands in how many grades, colors, and sizes at what prices for what sorts of customers are in the offing.

(a) In camera stores (whether over the counter or via e-mail or cellphone) more people ask questions than buy cameras where they asked the questions, and the few people who don't need to ask questions just want to know availabilities and prices of specific items. The former does that on bodies, lenses, filters, and whatnot; the latter, ditto but with instant decision. How much in-house time will be invested overall in discounted filters, for whom?

(b) One pays more for larger than for smaller premium filters, for good reasons relating to manufacturing quality as well as to maintaining inventories, etc.. Some of us upon seeing notably large and small filters interchangeable price-wise will assume instantly that they are not premium filters and won't even bother thinking about putting them on premium lenses of all sorts of diameters. Those of us who are acutely attuned to nuances of properties of color can do small wonders with a computer without even buying special glass, but will still keep premium glass on hand (glass here including certain non-glass). High quality photographic inventory is rarely assembled or saved for customer frenzies. How much in-house investment might be lost to customer frenzies?

(c) Depending upon setting, you might accordingly try offering schools (of various sorts) filter packs for student photography. You would have to put up with purchase orders, but 5-10 filters for 20-40 students at a time would be 100-400 filters, x (prices-costs). Those might be more valuable in the long run as known fixed customers than as unknown surf-in customers.

Guru Member

Post by shepscrook » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:17 pm

I understand the workload and quality comments. However the use of a "Camera store" was only an example with the filters.

I am obviously only curious how to go about implementing this style of discounts in opencart, or if there's a module that makes it easy.

Post by butte » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:50 pm

Where I took "for example" to mean one of the two noted, and you meant it broadly, the means of implementing it still apply (filters, shovels, doesn't matter). There have been a few recent threads speaking to discounting in this context, with variants, and the short answer as to out-of-box easy seems to be no, but setting up "kits" as individual products is as easy as setting up products (without or with customer "options" that would complicate them).

Guru Member

Post by shepscrook » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:33 pm

That's what I've generally seen. Which is why I inquired. I was hoping someone either had a trick, or a module they knew that would work to be able to do this.

Post by butte » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:26 am

On the bright side, when enough people have inquired, somebody will figure out that there is a market for an extension, and will even execute it usably. Hang in there.

Guru Member

Post by shepscrook » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:29 am

Even if it's something like a checkbox for additional items in a purchase. But that still points to some sort of combo discount. Hopefully someone will come up with something quickly.