Post by steveharman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:02 am

To say I'm furious at the OpenBayPro people is putting it mildly.

Only three days ago they sent out a glossy marketing email promoting the fact that OpenBayPro was now integrated into OpenCart, yet it was too much trouble to send out another one warning current paying customers that we should not upgrade to 1.5.6 but instead perform a clean install. This little gem wasn't thought worthy enough of an email and was demoted to a few words on the OpenBay support site.
As OpenBay Pro has been included into the core code of OpenCart 1.5.6 it can cause conflicts with code due to the requirements of vQmod on previous version.

At this time we do not advise upgrading to 1.5.6 if you have OpenBay Pro installed as you may loose data.

We are currently looking at ways to port the data over during the upgrade.
Maybe they should have TESTED this (I mean, is it likely that existing customers might want to upgrade when a new version of OpenCart is released?) and dropped us poor devils an email letting us know, before putting effort into the glossy marketing guff telling us how good things were. As it stands I have a trashed install on which I'm trying to run my business.

A show-stopping situation like this doesn't warrant an e-mail out to paying customers? Absolutely astounding.

Steve
Last edited by Daniel on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Made Global as a Global Warning

Post by MarketInSG » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:53 am

honestly, it should remain an extension, and not integrated into opencart.

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:11 pm

MarketInSG wrote:honestly, it should remain an extension, and not integrated into opencart.
+1

Administrator

Post by madimar » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:54 pm

+1 for me too
M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My last mods: Partita IVA e CF | Pro EU VAT Number | Sales Agents | Pricelist Pro
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ogun » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:42 pm

I know there's not much point in saying this now but you really should have a backup ready before making any sort of upgrade. There's always that extra "buyer beware" with free software, but paying for a product or service is no guarantee that it's actually going to work either. Does your agreement with Welford provide any sort of guarantee?

But +1 because it does need sorting out :(

Post by steveharman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:08 pm

I know there's not much point in saying this now but you really should have a backup ready before making any sort of upgrade. There's always that extra "buyer beware" with free software, but paying for a product or service is no guarantee that it's actually going to work either. Does your agreement with Welford provide any sort of guarantee?
Who said I didn't have a backup? ;-)

What I object to is the fact that I subscribe to TWO twitter feeds from the developers of OpenBayPro AND I'm on their optional newsletter mailing list AND as a paying customer they have my e-mail address which regularly receives promotional messages / billing info etc. yet still nobody thought this issue warranted a quick 140 characters warning about not performing an upgrade. It's totally unprofessional.

As an existing OpenBay user I don't really have a view either way on its inclusion with OpenCart core - although I'd rather the OpenBay devs spent their time ironing out the bizarre inconsistencies in the OpenCart UI (Click "Cancel" to save changes...) and writing better (some) documentation before they get involved in things like incorporating OpenBay into OpenCart.

The Amazon module gives different UI feedback to the the Play.com module. Some basic things you can do in one module but not in another. It's like the whole thing has been written by different groups of people over time who don't share (or know about) a common approach. In functional terms OpenBay works OK these days and it's a damn site cheaper than any other multi-channel platform I can think of (those with "Channel "in their name for example), It's just that it's not very..... polished I guess.

Anyway after an hour or so trying to figure out why my store had gone crazy, then finding the little link on the OpenBay support wiki saying not to upgrade, then restoring the site files, restoring the SQL and testing everything I'm back online.

Thanks for wasting an afternoon & evening of my life OpenBay folks - maybe next time you discover a show-stopping issue like this a quick tweet wouldn't go amiss?

Steve

Post by i2Paq » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:25 am

Just made this topic Global for 1 week, just to be sure everyone gets this.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by JAY6390 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:36 am

Wow, this is a very big oversight. Let's hope they can get something sorted and e-mail all current customers now at least to make them aware

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:09 am

Qphoria wrote:
MarketInSG wrote:honestly, it should remain an extension, and not integrated into opencart.
+1
Plus another one.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by rph » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:20 am

I'll join the crowd. At the very least it should have been rewritten to come in line with the rest of OpenCart.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by GRDS » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:16 am

+1000!

Post by pedro1993 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:18 am

+1 (Everyone else is sayin' it!) :laugh:

For OpenCart & PHP/MySQL support feel free to PM me :)
Click here for my extentions
Did I help you? Donate here to show support

Location - Glasgow, Scotland

Post by i2Paq » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:14 pm

pedro1993 wrote:+1 (Everyone else is sayin' it!) :laugh:
Same here!

How much percentage is using this anyway?

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Awaken » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:34 pm

+1 again

I actually tried it briefly. It wasn't a great fit for me. And it's just an API connection to play, ebay and amazon. Yes it needs work to keep it updated continually, but a monthly subscription model? Maybe a tenner a year, not £5-£75 a month.

What's it doing being integrated into the core of an open source shopping cart :/And why do so many ecommerce service and application providers think they have a right to some sort of profit sharing, making more money out of me if I sell more? Sell me a product or a service, at the price you want to sell it for - stop trying to tap me for a percentage!

Post by JAY6390 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:01 pm

Totally agree Awaken. a percentage of your sales is not really a fair way to do this and certainly shouldn't be part of the core IMHO

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by Daniel » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:22 pm

message understood. we will sort it ut later.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Klimskady » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:11 pm

Daniel, please make the install of OpenBay optional.

Post by Daniel » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:59 pm

I will not. it will be as an included extension in 2.0. you can choose to install or uninstall it from the admin. at the moment some of it is hard coded in.

i'm telling people now to stop going on about this. read what i have already posted in the forum rather than repeating the same lame comments.

i do not have time to do another release so soon. everybody needs to wait!

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by ukracer » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:37 am

+1 Especially as its useless without a subscription by the looks of it!

Post by Crom » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:05 pm

Greetings,

Just a couple of warnings when using openbay pro. I am using Opencart 1.5.6.

(1) upgrading corrupts my extension. The repair does not work. The update does work in 1.5.1; repair feature works - unfortunately my clients site is on 1.5.6. hoping for some news from openbay with a fix

(2) Openbay plugin `Stock Control' has caused image options extensions to cease working. Developers have looked into it for me...quote to fix for my current theme was $140.

(3) stuck in demo/freebie mode = even after purchase and connecting successfully we are stuck in freebie mode which has limited use and caused stress for the client (very expensive software makes it hard to relax my client)

(4) Cannot submit support tickets. Even when logged in to the openbay site cannot submit support ticket. The email is not recognised by the system, unable to send `pin'. A bit strange as the same email address was used to login to the support area :P

The product looks good; hoping some help arrives soon. But best share my experience to help others avoid headaches.