Post by daniel2008 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:51 am

Hi Q,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.
I'll try to update directly to V1.551 this time after V1.4x to V1.5x.
This question still makes absolutely no sense to me. I think you may be misusing the word "layout" as it exists in opencart. If you mean "theme" then you will need to get a new theme after upgrading to 1.5.x as older 1.4.x themes will not work on 1.5.x
I asked this question because I found the template is only for the 'face' look of a website.
The core parts decide what are displayed is my called 'layout' - which must be stored somewhere in the database.
For example, I want to choose the position of module displays (left, right column or center), the display of
categories in the top menu, the links of slide pictures and their sizes to display and so on.
During each update of 'V1.4x to V1.5x' process I have to adjust or find back the 'layout'. It's a really annoying thing.
Is there a way to backup the related tables in the database so I can easily to restore the 'layout' back if I find its missing?
I can easily apply such the mature 'layout' to other websites.
Well yes file copying can take a while.. A better method is to take the download... extract it to a folder on your desktop. Then make a new zip file from the root location of the store (inside the upload folder). Then upload that to your site. That should only take like 60 secs since it is zipped. Use Cpanel's built in File manager to extract it on your webserver. It will automatically overwrite everything and only takes 10 secs. From there the files are done and you only have to run the upgrade steps to bring the database up to date.
That's the way I'll try later. Do you think it's feasible to update the whole local database (the database got after all
successful updates in local server) directly to the V1.551's database newly installed in the server? Do a little adjustments
accordingly afterwards of course. In this way all the errors or mistakes during the updates will be avoided in the
web server.

Many thanks again,

Daniel

http://www.smartebuy.com.au/ http://www.myleathers.com.au/ http://www.cctv4oz.com.au/ http://www.origreen.com.au/

Post by Qphoria » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:26 am

daniel2008 wrote: I asked this question because I found the template is only for the 'face' look of a website.
The core parts decide what are displayed is my called 'layout' - which must be stored somewhere in the database.
For example, I want to choose the position of module displays (left, right column or center), the display of
categories in the top menu, the links of slide pictures and their sizes to display and so on.
During each update of 'V1.4x to V1.5x' process I have to adjust or find back the 'layout'. It's a really annoying thing.
Is there a way to backup the related tables in the database so I can easily to restore the 'layout' back if I find its missing?
I can easily apply such the mature 'layout' to other websites.
Well Layout is something new added in 1.5.x and it lets you create aliases based on the currently loaded page route. You can then assign a module position on a page assigned to that layout alias. This is all saved in the database. Since you are coming from 1.4.x anyway... nothing can be preserved from the display aspect. Once you get to 1.5.x you can play with the layouts and they are all saved to the layout table in the database so they are always safe for future updates.

But when coming from 1.4.x to 1.5.x, I recommend you delete all the pre-installed layouts that come with 1.5.x except the "default", "home", and "checkout". That will make your site more like 1.4.x and lead to less confusion. Each new layout alias adds a level of complexity and tedious configuration of modules, where as less layouts means it will default to the "default" layout if there is no layout set.
That's the way I'll try later. Do you think it's feasible to update the whole local database (the database got after all
successful updates in local server) directly to the V1.551's database newly installed in the server? Do a little adjustments
accordingly afterwards of course. In this way all the errors or mistakes during the updates will be avoided in the
web server.
If you copy the entire db from your live site..
install it on your dev site
Set the config.php file to point to that new database
run the upgrade
then reimport that new database to the live site...

yes you can do that.. seems a bit excessive and inefficient but should be doable.

Administrator

Post by Mealz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:00 pm

Can someone tell me whether carrying out this upgrade is relatively easy for someone with very limited website knowledge if I follow the steps or do I need to get a web developer to do the upgrade for me?

Post by daniel2008 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi Q,

I've tried several times to update directly to V1.551 after successful Beta 3 update from V1.4x to V1.5x
but failed (see the error below).
( ! ) Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in E:\xampp\htdocs\OC1513\system\database\mysql.php on line 22
Call Stack
# Time Memory Function Location
1 0.5429 367848 {main}( ) ..\index.php:0
2 1.1645 1088688 Front->dispatch( ) ..\index.php:75
3 1.1645 1088688 Front->execute( ) ..\front.php:29
4 1.1667 1112208 call_user_func_array ( ) ..\front.php:42
5 1.1668 1112344 ControllerUpgrade->index( ) ..\front.php:42
6 1.2092 1236288 ModelUpgrade->mysql( ) ..\upgrade.php:9
7 29.9172 3484424 DB->query( ) ..\upgrade.php:170
8 29.9172 3484424 MySQL->query( ) ..\db.php:16

The store seemed to be opened properly with 92 tables in the database but the Admin couldn't be opened with the
following error,
Notice: Error: Unknown column 'salt' in 'where clause'
Error No: 1054
SELECT * FROM user WHERE username = 'xxx' AND (password = SHA1(CONCAT(salt, SHA1(CONCAT(salt, SHA1('xxx'))))) OR password = 'xxx') AND status = '1' in E:\xampp\htdocs\OC1513\system\database\mysql.php on line 50

I've still tried this procedures in my local xampp server. So it shouldn't be the setting issue on the online
server but why? How many times can I use V1.551 update in this situation after trying to edit some setting?

If I can't overcome the problem, I have to update V1.451 first.

Thanks,

Daniel

http://www.smartebuy.com.au/ http://www.myleathers.com.au/ http://www.cctv4oz.com.au/ http://www.origreen.com.au/

Post by Qphoria » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:54 pm

If you are getting max exec error then you'll have to ask your host to give more time to execute. Some slower hosts can't get all the table updates done in 30 secs.

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:56 pm

Mealz wrote:Can someone tell me whether carrying out this upgrade is relatively easy for someone with very limited website knowledge if I follow the steps or do I need to get a web developer to do the upgrade for me?
If you want to be safe you can hire someone to do it. I offer the service here:
http://opencartguru.com/opencart-upgrades

But I wrote this step-by-step script for "dummies" so if each line is followed carefully it should go smoothly for you. I've done over 100 upgrades for people following this exact script everytime. It wasn't meant to cause 16 pages of conversation but that maybe signifies some complexity for those without more general knowledge of files and databases.

Administrator

Post by Mealz » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:47 am

Qphoria wrote:
Mealz wrote:Can someone tell me whether carrying out this upgrade is relatively easy for someone with very limited website knowledge if I follow the steps or do I need to get a web developer to do the upgrade for me?
If you want to be safe you can hire someone to do it. I offer the service here:
http://opencartguru.com/opencart-upgrades

But I wrote this step-by-step script for "dummies" so if each line is followed carefully it should go smoothly for you. I've done over 100 upgrades for people following this exact script everytime. It wasn't meant to cause 16 pages of conversation but that maybe signifies some complexity for those without more general knowledge of files and databases.
Oh perfect! Thank you - have just processed my order request :)

Post by daniel2008 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:31 am

Hi Q,

I've updated to V1.541 last night and will move it forwards as far as I can.
Qphoria wrote:If you are getting max exec error then you'll have to ask your host to give more time to execute. Some slower hosts can't get all the table updates done in 30 secs.
I doubt it is the setting on the server (host )side since I've tried to update it to V1.551 with the same error
several times on both the LOCAL server and the host side.

I've found the latest version 1.56 last night. Hoping I could bypass the V1.551 issue easily.

How can I decrease the dimension of the product picture (see above) as I like its previous layout in V1.4?
It was fixed to 80x80 on somewhere which I couldn't change through the Admin settings. Strange enough.

Btw, I've tried your methods which upload and upzip the files on the host side by using cpanel. It's really efficient!
Thanks again Q,

Daniel

Post by Qphoria » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:43 pm

daniel2008 wrote:I doubt it is the setting on the server (host )side since I've tried to update it to V1.551 with the same error
several times on both the LOCAL server and the host side.
It is 110% guaranteed a server issue. It is a php setting. you might be able to override it in the php.ini file in your store, though usually not on shared hosts. 30 secs is the default and it depends on how fast your mysql server is to process all the commands to adjust the database. There are a lot of little things... adding columns, renaming tables, adjusting table character sets, adjust column sizes, etc. So if it takes longer than 30 secs then it can die in the middle of processing. So either the server needs to have faster hardware, or they need to allow more execution time. But most hosts don't want to allow more than 30 secs because that means your site is taking too much of the shared resources from other people they are hosting.

Administrator

Post by daniel2008 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Hi Q,

You're completely right. I've finally known where to change the settings
for all these troubles. Thanks again,

Daniel

Post by pmveldhuis » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:31 pm

For me the language table was not updated; I had to create manually all languages, except for english

Anyway, Thanks for the script!

Post by makoreahi » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:57 pm

After I run all the upgrade process, I have no products or categories.
They are also not appear in the search option. I can see them on DB and admin panel.

What should I do?

(Upgrading from 1.4.9.5 to 1.5.6)

Attachments

noproducts.jpg

noproducts.jpg (57.91 KiB) Viewed 7155 times

Post by Qphoria » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:30 am

makoreahi wrote:After I run all the upgrade process, I have no products or categories.
They are also not appear in the search option. I can see them on DB and admin panel.

What should I do?

Not sure.. never seen this happen.
Edit any product and verify some things
-status is enabled
-under links, be sure the default store (or whichever) is checked

Administrator

Post by makoreahi » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:02 am

Qphoria wrote:
makoreahi wrote:After I run all the upgrade process, I have no products or categories.

What should I do?

Not sure.. never seen this happen.
Edit any product and verify some things
-status is enabled
-under links, be sure the default store (or whichever) is checked
All categories and products are enabled and default store is checked. :(

Post by smarty76 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:07 pm

Hello,

I'm getting the following error:
OpenCart 1.x Upgrade Script (BETA)

The following errors occured:
Could not execute this query: INSERT INTO `oc42d92qe_option` (`option_id`, `type`, `sort_order`)SELECT `product_option_id`, "select", `sort_order` FROM `oc42d92qe_product_option`; Unknown column 'sort_order' in 'field list'

Could not execute this query: INSERT INTO `oc42d92qe_option_description` (`option_id`, `language_id`, `name`)SELECT `product_option_id`, `language_id`, `name` FROM `oc42d92qe_product_option_description`; Table 'oCsoLNMahnke.oc42d92qe_product_option_description' doesn't exist

Could not execute this query: INSERT INTO `oc42d92qe_option_value` (`option_value_id`, `option_id`, `sort_order`)SELECT `product_option_value_id`, `product_option_id`, `sort_order` FROM `oc42d92qe_product_option_value`; Unknown column 'sort_order' in 'field list'

Could not execute this query: INSERT INTO `oc42d92qe_option_value_description` (`option_value_id`, `language_id`, `option_id`, `name`)SELECT `pov`.`product_option_value_id` , `language_id` , `pov`.`product_option_id` , `name`FROM `oc42d92qe_product_option_value_description` AS `povd` INNER JOIN `oc42d92qe_product_option_value` AS `pov` ON `pov`.`product_option_value_id` = `povd`.`product_option_value_id`; Table 'oCsoLNMahnke.oc42d92qe_product_option_value_description' doesn't exist

The above errors occurred because the script could not properly determine the existing state of those db elements. Your store may not need those changes. Please post any errors on the forums to ensure that they can be addressed in future versions!
I was using already the latest version v4.
MySQL: version is 5.5.31
Apache: Apache/2.2.22

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:37 pm

I have just run this upgrade script, and then the regular 1.5.6 upgrade, and I must say treat it with caution! Needless to say, backup your old database and Opencart before embarking on this upgrade process. There are still quite a few issues, which is why I think it shouldn't be used on a live site! The following issues are unresolved in the database tabes:

address: Missing columns, country_id and zone_id refer to old 1.4.9.x values.

zone and country: Still uses old 1.4.9.x zones and countries, several zones and coun tries have been updated or added during the past few years, and some zone_id and country_id values are now different for the same zone or country. The upgrade script totally ignores this.

customer: several new fields missing

option and option_description: Repeated usage of options even though the option name is the same
option_value and option_value_description: Repeated usage of options even though the option name is the same

order_option: product_option_id always zero. In general, IMHO the fields product_option_id and product_option_value_id shouldn't even be in this table, because products and their options can change over time, thus rendering this table useless for any historic reports or later order editing (but this is more of an Opencart design issue rather than an upgrade script issue!)

order: payment_country_id, payment_zone_id, shipping_country_id and shipping_zone_id still refer to old 1.4.9.x values.

There are probably more issues, but I think it quite often makes more sense to do a fresh install, and then copy old DB tables via PHPMyAdmin (CSV Export, editing, Import) rather than running incomplete upgrade scripts.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by vsivsi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:42 am

I can not go to next step while upgrading. Please see the attached picture.

I already user name, password, and database name etc. Everything is correct. I also confirmed with my hosting service (inmotionhosting), and they said everything is right. They tried to help me do the same thing, but they also get the same problem.

I maked the password and email address with "xxx".

Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

Screen shot 2013-09-02 at 2.27.30 PM.png

Screen shot 2013-09-02 at 2.27.30 PM.png (67.14 KiB) Viewed 7041 times

Post by Qphoria » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:21 am

vsivsi wrote:I can not go to next step while upgrading. Please see the attached picture.

I already user name, password, and database name etc. Everything is correct. I also confirmed with my hosting service (inmotionhosting), and they said everything is right. They tried to help me do the same thing, but they also get the same problem.

I maked the password and email address with "xxx".

Any help will be appreciated.
This is due to lack of following the steps. Try again

Administrator

Post by Nawid » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:49 am

Dear,

probably this question already has been answered:

I have OC 1.4.9.4
I want to have 1.5.6

1. I have to folow the Upgrade script to get my database updated to 1.5.1.2
2. Then I have to folow the upgrade.txt file that comes with the latest version of OpenCart 1.5.6

At the end my OC 1.4.9.4 will get OC 1.5.6

Is this right?

Best regards,
Nawid

Post by Qphoria » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:03 am

Nawid wrote:Dear,

probably this question already has been answered:

I have OC 1.4.9.4
I want to have 1.5.6

1. I have to folow the Upgrade script to get my database updated to 1.5.1.2
2. Then I have to folow the upgrade.txt file that comes with the latest version of OpenCart 1.5.6

At the end my OC 1.4.9.4 will get OC 1.5.6

Is this right?

Best regards,

Nawid
Exactly correct.

Administrator