Post by stf » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:50 pm

Just disabling them is not a good solution. If you disable hundreds of products, you`ll get tons of 404 pages .. which is not good from an seo point of view ( I know from my own experience ... big traffic drop)

301 to their respective categories? we all know 301 is permanent redirect .. what if after some time you enable some of the products .... still not great from an seo point of view...

Hide the disabled products from the front end and also hide the add to cart button? These will still be accessible in the search engines ... but from my own experience...visitors become frustrated when they see a product that is no longer available .. it might hurt your stores image...

What is the best solution to handle this?

Thank you!

stf

Post by Avvici » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:32 am

We are talking about how a visitor might be affected if he/she see's a 404 and that product is no longer available yes? Well, why not customize your own 404 and have other selling points on it? For example you could have a YOU MAY CONSIDER THIS line of products in place of what is no longer available. Just edit catalog/view/theme/yourthemename/template/error/

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by stf » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:23 pm

avvici -arvixe- wrote:We are talking about how a visitor might be affected if he/she see's a 404 and that product is no longer available yes? Well, why not customize your own 404 and have other selling points on it? For example you could have a YOU MAY CONSIDER THIS line of products in place of what is no longer available. Just edit catalog/view/theme/yourthemename/template/error/

I already have my 404 pages customized just like you said....but the seo problem still remains..

Too many 404`s resulted in a traffic drop...

So..whats the best solution? Just disable and have a bunch of 404 pages, 301 redirect or just hide from front end with the link still accessible in the search engines?

stf

Post by Avvici » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Websites like NEW EGG.com, when a product is out of stock or just no longer being sold then they 301 to a specialized page that say's as such. It's not a 404 page not found. If you're talking hundreds at a time then yes I can see the need.

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by labeshops » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:21 pm

avvici -arvixe- wrote:We are talking about how a visitor might be affected if he/she see's a 404 and that product is no longer available yes? Well, why not customize your own 404 and have other selling points on it? For example you could have a YOU MAY CONSIDER THIS line of products in place of what is no longer available. Just edit catalog/view/theme/yourthemename/template/error/
I've been trying to put the latest module on this not found page and cannot figure out how to do it. Is there a trick I'm missing?

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by granddaddy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:22 pm

I believe the error page doesn't have it's own layout, but uses the one called 'default'. Try assigning your latest module to default layout and see if it appears.

Post by Avvici » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:13 am

labeshops wrote:
I've been trying to put the latest module on this not found page and cannot figure out how to do it. Is there a trick I'm missing?
labe, not_found.tpl is what you want to edit. You just need to establish a condition upon what you are displaying and when. The not_found is used by more than one call.

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by leandromello » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:42 am

Please, what is the conclusion?
Which one is the better method?