Post by ahmadka » Fri May 17, 2013 4:59 pm

Kind of general question ... What things should I specify in OpenCart Products to maximize SEO ? .. I know of Meta Tag Keywords and Meta Descriptions, but apart from these is there anything else I can specify which can improve SEO ...

Post by labeshops » Fri May 17, 2013 6:01 pm

I've posted seo and opencart post before so do a search for some things I regularly do, but you can also add <h1> etc tags and schema.org markup to your product.tpl template to help search engines identify your information better. I just recently did this, so don't know the exact impact yet on my seo.

Writing good, unique descriptions with your keywords in them is the best thing you can do though.
Last edited by labeshops on Fri May 17, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by ahmadka » Fri May 17, 2013 6:19 pm

Yep I've already read your post (actually I bookmarked it a while back!), but I think thats more along the lines on what to do after your products have been setup and your store is in the phase of going online (e.g. backlinks, etc) ..

My question here is rather on what fields I should mention stuff in when I'm setting up my products ... I have 300 ~ 400 products (Blu-rays movies, DVDs, etc), so I want to get it right the first time ... I don't want to have to go back and modify each product individually, in case i miss out some stuff in the initial definition :)

I've looked at your store and how you mentioned that you individually mentioned descriptions for each product ... That's probably feasible if the product quantity is relatively low, like in your case i think ... For me, manually typing in individual descriptions for 300 ~ 400 movies will be extremely tiring, which is why I'm thinking of using the 'Get the product from Amazon.com' extension, which fetches a lot of stuff from Amazon ..

But I'm not sure if this is a good idea because then my product's description, meta description, meta keywords will all be the same as those on Amazon.com .. ???

Post by labeshops » Fri May 17, 2013 6:32 pm

Well, I have about 100,000 more products to go actually and manually type and write every description (some better than others - I'm always going thru and fine tuning).

I would NOT use descriptions from amazon - they will outrank you every time in searches and if your content is identical to them, google may discount your site all together as being duplicate content.

Yes, it takes time, but if you are concerned about seo, then you really need to take it. I've never tried ranking for DVDs - it will probably be very hard to, but I would pull data from imdb or wiki before amazon and put a paragraph or 2 of your own content mixed in. And be sure to use effective tags for actors, genre, etc.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by labeshops » Fri May 17, 2013 6:35 pm

I would do a blog if I were you too - create some original content about the films you sell as well as new releases, etc. to help draw in the movie fans. Lots of great blog extensions in the store.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by cwswebdesign » Mon May 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Regardless of what the "experts" say, you'll need to purchase backlinking service. Without this, your site won't be crawled enough in high detail. Make sure the basics of setting up Google Webmasters is done and you've submitted a sitemap. Duplicate content is a HUGE mistake if you've got it and skip the keywords section. That section is not read by any of the search engines anymore. Page title and Product title are very important factors.

DL

This account is inactive. Look for us under the name 'EvolveWebHosting' and contact us under that username.

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by WilliamBD » Mon May 20, 2013 9:34 pm

Be genuine, be unqiue. Recently news sites were all downrated by google and one who purchases called 'flora' got banned from google for buying LOADS of new articles for backlinks. They literally got banned overnight, but they are still allowed by google to purchase the adverts on the search results (go figure).

But yes just be genuine, unqiue and what I find works best is where possible a lot is more beneficial than a little. But keep it relevant.

*Disclaimer: I hope I have been as clear as possible and helpful. If you are unsure of anything please ask I will be happy to help - I do frequently watch the posts I have posted in previously.

How to change prices across a whole multi-store, with a baseline price for each product:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 24#p406793

Post by ahmadka » Fri May 24, 2013 3:01 pm

Hmmm ... Interesting ..

I was actually planning to use that extension to build up the description area for movies .. Regarding copying description from Amazon.com, I researched a little on this and figured that a lot of movie sites had the same description blocks. For example, if you take a Bluray on Amazon.com and search that description on Google, chances are you'll see a number of other sites using that same description too .. So I thought it would be okay, at least for now ..

Secondly, I'm only targeting my store for Pakistani audience, and so I'll only try to get higher rankings on google.com.pk. Fortunately, there's not much competition in Pakistan as far as online movie shopping is concerned, so I'm hoping that even will copying the descriptions, my page rankings might climb ..

The one thing you mentioned that scares me is that Google might say my site is a 'duplicate', and so might lower my rankings .. What really are the chances of this happening, considering what I've just said ?

Making up individual descriptions for movies is going to be virtually IMPOSSIBLE :p

Post by WilliamBD » Fri May 24, 2013 5:50 pm

People do it all the time and if you do not have time then it is your only option. A lot of main sellers just C&P from the manufacturers sites. But one key thing they rely on that you may not have got in to yet is advertising and creating links to your sites.

'If you build it they will come.' - Whilst this held true for a physical store/park in plain sight. No longer does this hold as much weight as it did.

*Disclaimer: I hope I have been as clear as possible and helpful. If you are unsure of anything please ask I will be happy to help - I do frequently watch the posts I have posted in previously.

How to change prices across a whole multi-store, with a baseline price for each product:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 24#p406793

Post by labeshops » Fri May 24, 2013 7:40 pm

The other thing that can help take a generic studio descriptions out of "duplicate content" is reviews, though as a new site, you probably won't have any for a while or not enough to count. You might want to solicite reviews as much as you can though or write your own as part of the description and suggest people comment and add their own.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA