Post by storm-cloud » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:49 pm

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this. If there is a thread that exists, I would more than welcome a link. ;D

When a customer is logged in, during checkout the address shown does not include a Post Code. Is this a bug or is there a way to modify the code for this to show?

The reason I ask is because I have had a few customers express their concerns and/or call us up offering their Post Code as they were under the impression it was missing from their account details.

We are currently using OpenCart v1.5.1.3.

Post by Qphoria » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:06 am

YES! Please voice your concern to Daniel about this. I made the change but was shut down and reverted because apparently only the tiny country of USA cares about zipcode and apparently we are not important enough to the ecommerce industry for him to just leave it in.

Administrator

Post by storm-cloud » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:03 am

Could you advise how I do this? The reason I ask is that previous posts that I have made on the bug thread have been completely ignored.

If you could advise the best way to mention the Post Code issue, I would happily do so. Including the Post Code is very important. As you have mentioned, this is important in the USA and also Australia and New Zealand. In fact the entire World makes references to Post Codes. How could this not be important?

Qphoria, could you advise how I can make this change myself? I am more than happy to edit the source code if it isn't overly complicated. If you have a vqmod, that would be even better!
Last edited by storm-cloud on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by storm-cloud » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:39 pm

Edit: Never mind the above, I have just realised that a fix for this is easier than I thought.

I have created a vQmod for anyone else that may need this. See the link below.

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=58357

Post by Signman » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:27 am

The above mod does not appear to work 1.5.3.1 and this is a concern for me. Customers think they have not entered their zip code correctly. How can I get the zip code to show on the checkout form, all other info is there why is the Zip code left off?

Any tips to get this issue resolved?

Thanks,

Post by lasa » Wed May 01, 2013 8:11 pm

Hi,
I am very new to opencart but with the help of this forum I have been able to piece a nice site together... but as I was testing it I noticed that the postcode is not appearing on the address. We are shipping in Canada and the USA where the postcode are required. We are running 1.5.5.1 (05/1/2013)
I've looked all over and keep coming up with this link can anybody help with this? I am defending myself with code changes but I'm not really good at it...
Any help would be welcome. it seems like a very basic requirement to show at checkout since cleint do add it.

Thanks,

Lasa

Post by butte » Thu May 02, 2013 12:20 am

In USA, Canada, UK, and an abundance of other places postal codes are LONG SINCE routinely required, not only by the postal authorities but by shipping carriers, payment processors, and banks. That any cart should accommodate that past-tense and long continuing eventuality seems given.

Do see [storm-cloud]'s viewtopic.php?f=131&t=58357 . . .
[http://forum.opencart.com/download/file.php?id=10854 is his download; there are also two others further down]

The usual complaint has been to put the sequence of recipient, address, region, postal code, and then country in the sequence of just that, without the postal code trailing. Rearrange blocks of html in .tpl sending that to the browser.
Last edited by butte on Fri May 03, 2013 5:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

Guru Member

Post by lasa » Fri May 03, 2013 2:49 am

Thanks,
I downloaded and will give it a...try. Like I said before I'm very new to this...it looks a little spooky...trial by fire!
This seem so basic it really should be a standard feature not a added work-a-round. OP does everything else amazingly but passes on showing the postcode on the cart?

Lasa

Post by butte » Fri May 03, 2013 2:54 am

Trial by fire has a long tradition. It's among the most ancient means of entertainment.

Guru Member

Post by lasa » Fri May 03, 2013 5:16 am

"...ancient means of entertainment" ... this has been nothing if not entertaining!! lol
This is a very nice products with very nice help forum...
I downloaded the xml's and the tpl from the "viewtopic.php?f=131&t=58357" link...besides letting them spook me to no end, what do I do with it all the files? :choke:

Lasa

Post by butte » Fri May 03, 2013 5:49 am

Typically you'll put his http://forum.opencart.com/download/file.php?id=10854 (the .xml file) into the vqmod directory. If that isn't there, then you'll need to install vqmod itself. If need be, just search vqmod install, you'll see from titles which ones you'll need to read.

[Edit, added:] Some .xml are put into the vqmoc/xml directory, some are instead imported into there via the admin panel. Instructions vary. Be sure which or try both, depending upon instructions.
Last edited by butte on Sat May 04, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guru Member

Post by lasa » Fri May 03, 2013 7:16 am

Thanks a Gazzilion!
very much appreciated.
Lasa

Post by butte » Tue May 07, 2013 12:16 pm

Just to separate this for emphasis, the formal pro forma installation steps for vqmod for OC are straightforward at
http://code.google.com/p/vqmod/wiki/Install_OpenCart
and afterward the short-form instructions that are often seen fall into context of having already done that.

Guru Member

Post by labeshops » Tue May 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Anyone know how to do this in 1.5.2? I tried the fixes on the other thread - the last xml file there seems corrupted and the nothing in that thread seems to work. I've had customers enter their address over and over again (one did it 22 times!) thinking the zip code didn't save since it didn't show up on the list.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by butte » Wed May 08, 2013 1:03 am

If you can, directly or by arrangement with an already paid author, get a fresh copy of that seemingly corrupt .xml file and see it that works. If you did NOT use FileZilla Client, retry sending up the .xml file with it (other ftp clients may foster corrruptions). One screwy packet in one foredoomed transfer suffices to corrupt a file, and for various reasons screwy packets do happen.

Guru Member

Post by lasa » Fri May 10, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi,
What worked for me...
1) downloaded the fix from viewtopic.php?f=131&t=58357
2) opened each of the 4 xml files and changed the "fancy" to your theme name
sample: <file name="catalog/view/theme/your theme name/template/checkout/payment_address.tpl">
you make that sample theme change to all four xml files:
add-state-and-post-code-to-checkout_payment_address.xml
add-state-and-post-code-to-checkout_payment_address_modified.xml
add-state-and-post-code-to-checkout_shipping_address.xml
add-state-and-post-code-to-checkout_shipping_address_modified.xml
3) upload the FOUR changed xml files to your Vqmod / xml folder

Fired it up... It worked for me on OC 1.5.5.1
Hope this helps somebody,
Thanks to everybody for the help given me...

Lasa

Post by storm-cloud » Sat May 11, 2013 2:15 pm

labeshops wrote:Anyone know how to do this in 1.5.2? I tried the fixes on the other thread - the last xml file there seems corrupted and the nothing in that thread seems to work. I've had customers enter their address over and over again (one did it 22 times!) thinking the zip code didn't save since it didn't show up on the list.
I have uploaded a revised vQmod with version tolerance which should work on newer releases. If you could test this and advise if this works for you, that would be great. If not, please provide feedback and I will make the required adjustments.

Post by lasa » Mon May 13, 2013 3:19 am

Storm-Cloud
Thanks for the help ... the original modified script worked for me in 1.5.5.1
I didn't have to upload the 4 files only the 2 modified ones:
add-state-and-post-code-to-checkout_payment_address_modified.xml
add-state-and-post-code-to-checkout_shipping_address_modified.xml
----------------
I tried the latest more streamline one you just posted and it... It did load the post code but didn't include the comas (,)
so it made a run-on of the address which in turn broke the taxes to be applied.

I hope this helps, you help us... :)
Thanks again!

Lasa

Post by storm-cloud » Mon May 13, 2013 11:12 am

lasa wrote:It did load the post code but didn't include the comas (,)
I assume you are referring to commas between the City, Post Code and Country? If this is the case, this was actually formatted in this manner intentionally. In Australia we generally don't include commas here.

Commas should be included after the customers name, after the Company Name, after each address line and a full stop has been added at the end of the address.

For example:
Joe Smith, ACME Corporation, The Building, 123 Some Street, Sydney NSW Australia 2000.

Is the formatting you are seeing different to this?

If you would like additional commas, you could study the formatting between the <add> tags within the vQmod XML file and insert these accordingly. If you need assistance, just let me know.