Post by Sallana » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:03 am

I don't know whose idea it was to make EVERYTHING in the admin panel of OC freaking auto complete. Who thought of this???? Why do you hate me??? I have several products, and each product is in about 30 different categories... and I have to sit here and add them one by one, very slowly, by typing the first letter of EACH category name. This is ridiculous.

OpenCart may be free but I have spent hundreds in donations / modules and I cannot even begin to fathom why someone thought that making categories, models, manufacturers, EVERYTHING auto complete was anywhere close to an okay idea. Please dear god bring back the check boxes without forcing me to buy a module for something that used to (smartly) come standard.

Post by victorj » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:45 am

opencart does not autocomplete unless you installed a ajax module to do that for you.

I expect it is your browser that does that.
just go into the configutation and disable autocomplete and you should be fine

Koeltechnische deurrubbers eenvoudig online op maat bestellen.
Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.
https://koelcel-onderdelen.com

Expert Member

Location - Alkmaar Holland

Post by Daniel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:41 pm

I think he means the product page. all the linked tables like categories, downloads all use auto complete now. to be honest i don;t know a better way if you have 1000's of categories and downloads.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:15 am

Yea.. it isn't ideal... but it makes sense as Daniel said for large stores.

A few alternative options....
1. First Select Category, Then show only products from that category
-- This is how it used to be, but still had problems with stores that had a lot of categories, and the recursive looping to get all categories would bring the database to its knees.

2. Alphabetical selector to only show products that start with that Alphabet letter
-- This can get messy as you'd need to support all alphabets in all languages. Also if you have only 10 "A" products and 10000 "B" products you'll have the same issue again

3. An autocomplete with a separate results multiselect box (shown here: http://screencast.com/t/AWtx4cbnsU4)
-- Then you could select from the left box and copy more than one at a time to the right box

Number 3 would be ideal and the best of both worlds.

Administrator

Post by storyresources » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:59 am

I cant get anything to show up in these area ??? HELP ???

Post by Iamdbat » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:10 am

I totally agree with Sallana - the autocomplete is absolutely insane when you need to add products to multiple categories - if you have a lot of categories you are not going to remember what you called each one and so you are forced to go back and forward looking at the category list that you have - please please change it back to list

Post by Iamdbat » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:15 am

Qphoria wrote:Yea.. it isn't ideal... but it makes sense as Daniel said for large stores.

A few alternative options....
1. First Select Category, Then show only products from that category
-- This is how it used to be, but still had problems with stores that had a lot of categories, and the recursive looping to get all categories would bring the database to its knees.

2. Alphabetical selector to only show products that start with that Alphabet letter
-- This can get messy as you'd need to support all alphabets in all languages. Also if you have only 10 "A" products and 10000 "B" products you'll have the same issue again

3. An autocomplete with a separate results multiselect box (shown here: http://screencast.com/t/AWtx4cbnsU4)
-- Then you could select from the left box and copy more than one at a time to the right box

Number 3 would be ideal and the best of both worlds.
Can we have that then? :choke:

Post by ShaneTFletcher » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:28 pm

Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks the auto-complete is butter rubbish.

Basically, I can't see why there shouldn't be a listbox (limit sized) with a scroll bar. Leave the auto-complete text box for shops which have long amounts of data.

Post by Iamdbat » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Why not simply use an efficient grid instead - If a listbox is causing the delay what's wrong with using a grid - there are tonnes of component grids out there that could be used instead of a listbox - or what's wrong with using the same grid as the product grid - The back end of OC may look nice but it's cumbersome to use when trying to add categories and products - a redesign wouldn't be bad thing but I understand the complexeties

Post by justcurious » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:13 pm

I've just uploaded a free mod that will revert to the much loved dropdown and checkbox approach to links. It works with a standard installation of oc1.5.5.x and 1.5.6

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... n_id=13980

Kind regards

Google Product Feed - Get your products into Google Shopping. Includes a bulk update facility.
Backup Pro - Backup (on demand or scheduled), Restore and Clone your store.
Freestyle Box - Add multiple information boxes on multiple pages of your store. Includes optional "Code Mode".
View my other extensions

Location - UK

Post by sundev » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:04 pm

Thank you very much it works like fire on product page. :) . But, please! It does not work on the 'Data' column on category page. I have created categories; now wanted to create sub-categories, is still shows up as auto complete and when I click on any of it, it will not drop the selection in the 'textarea' thereby making sub-categories creation impossible. Pls how can I fix this. :(

Attachments

categorie-problem.jpg

screen short that describe this challenge! - categorie-problem.jpg (43.38 KiB) Viewed 6138 times

Post by justcurious » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:06 am

Hmmm. . .

Yes, I only did it for the product page. I will try and find time to do the categories, but don't hold your breath while you wait. I have other commitments and as this is a freebie, it will not get top priority treatment.

Google Product Feed - Get your products into Google Shopping. Includes a bulk update facility.
Freestyle Box - Add multiple information boxes on multiple pages of your store. Includes optional "Code Mode".
View my other extensions

Location - UK

Post by sundev » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:30 pm

Thanks anyway.

Post by happy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:05 am

ist posible to use any WildCard (. or *...) to list all autocomplete options?

Post by justcurious » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:19 pm

Use %

View my other extensions

Location - UK

Post by como » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:42 pm

Daniel wrote:I think he means the product page. all the linked tables like categories, downloads all use auto complete now. to be honest i don;t know a better way if you have 1000's of categories and downloads.
Improvement to current solution, and IMHO the best solution for now, is to retain auto-complete, and next to auto-complete field, to place drop-down category/manufacturer(...) selector. Selection from drop-down to be equivalent to selection from auto-complete, and selected item to be places in the box.

Dynamic Downloads - make downloadable files alive - pdf, zip etc. Electronic tickets, serial numbers, personalised to given order and product
Shipping Labels Advanced - fully customizable approach to easy print labels
Ads provider to other sites - provide ad boxes with source from the e-shop (ad server) in other yours or partner sites (ad client)