Post by bobwhite » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:02 am

JAY6390 wrote:Hostpapa are pretty good. A client of mine uses them (though not for opencart) and their servers are pretty great
Hi JAY6390,
Thank you for you reply. I think I will go with Host Gator, prices about the same and they support opencart.
Bob

User avatar
New member

Posts

Joined
Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:20 am

Post by JAY6390 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:28 am

No problem. If you want 25% off your hostgator, try this coupon code
GET25OFFPLAN

ImageImageImage

SEO MEGA KIT PLUS - Get your site ranking higher in the search engines
Better Product SEO URL's - Perfectly structured product links
SEO URL's Route Editor PRO - Make ANY url on your site have clean keywords - even third party extensions (remove index.php)


User avatar
Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Wed May 26, 2010 11:47 pm
Location - United Kingdom

Post by bobwhite » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:37 am

JAY6390 wrote:No problem. If you want 25% off your hostgator, try this coupon code
GET25OFFPLAN
thanks, I will try to use it.
Bob

User avatar
New member

Posts

Joined
Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:20 am

Post by dialdin » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:40 am

TipTip wrote:I have checked the 6 pages and found that no one mentioned my host provider which is siteground.com, they are really the best in terms of price ( $$9.95 per YEAR, Oh yes, you read it correctly, $$9.95 per year), excellent support, one click open cart installation, cPanel, Just amazing.
We are currently using SiteGround with a "Semi-Dedicated" account. They piss me off at least once a month... and it always something different. Every time I turn around they are trying to force us into a dedicated server. We used to have CS Cart and our store was getting shut down all the time because they said the scripts were not efficient enough for how many products we had. OK I could see their point, so we upgraded to OC (Actually I need to thank them for that because OC is SOOO much better than CS Cart).

Now our biggest gripe is that we have roughly a hundred thousand products and we can't get them all in the store! Why not you ask? We can't use an import tool like Total Import Pro, CSV Import Pro, or XML Import Pro to manage pricing or other data in our store unless I break the import files down into multiple files with less than 200 lines of data each! They (SiteGround) actually recommended I limit the files to TEN lines each but I tried imports over and over until I found the largest size I could use successfully!!! Really? I am supposed to split all my CSV files (some of them have 5000 lines) and do THAT many imports every time... even if it is just to update prices??? What a joke! Their claim is that it consumes "too much memory" even on a "semi-dedicated" server!

To give you an example of how utterly ridiculous this is, I have one CSV file that is a mere 22kB file size but it is 2500 lines. All the file consists of is a product model number and new prices for a particular brand that we carry. I had to split the file into more than 10 files of less than 200 lines each to get the prices uploaded with Total Import Pro! What a colossal waste of time! Now try to do that for every brand we carry and it becomes a data management nightmare and a continuous project just to keep data up to date!

Also, although SiteGround CLAIMS unlimited storage space, they limit the iNodes used which is a joke because with over a hundred thousand product images we use lots of iNodes but only about 50 GB of space.

We don't use all that much bandwidth... SiteGround has never complained about our bandwidth usage, I just mentioned it because I don't want you to think that our store is a big resource hog that needs a dedicated server because of tens of thousands of visitors every day... I doubt we have much more than 100 visitors a day on our busiest day of the year.

Since our transition to OC we still have not been able to get all our product in the store because of the restriction of splitting all the CSV files plus we have no more iNodes available for the required images! If it weren't for the iNode issue I suppose I could do all the imports in a local install of OC then move the DB but why bother when I can't upload any more supporting files!

Time for a new host! Anyone got suggestions that won't be crippled like this? I called HostGator and they have similar iNode restrictions but they didn't think the memory issue would be a problem... but no guarantees of course. I have shopped around and there are lots of hosts without the iNode restriction but nobody can be sure about the upload issue. Surely some of you use an import tool in OC? I would appreciate your advice / experience if you do.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:22 am

Post by JAY6390 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:49 am

Hi dialdin

When you say "semi dedicated" do you mean VPS? i.e. you have your own container with full root access? Or is this still shared, but with generous disk/bandwidth?

To be honest, the memory issue sounds like a VERY big joke

Kind regards
Jay

ImageImageImage

SEO MEGA KIT PLUS - Get your site ranking higher in the search engines
Better Product SEO URL's - Perfectly structured product links
SEO URL's Route Editor PRO - Make ANY url on your site have clean keywords - even third party extensions (remove index.php)


User avatar
Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Wed May 26, 2010 11:47 pm
Location - United Kingdom

Post by OKI » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:06 am

I use Inmotion Hosting in USA. They have pretty good reviews and their customer service has been paramount.

OKI
Newbie

Posts

Joined
Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:37 am

Post by Jeremy Fisk » Mon May 07, 2012 8:55 am

HOSTGATOR IS NOW USELESS... NOT AS GOOD AS THEY USED TO BE...

i have transfered to a new hosting provider (247hosting.com) as i am sick of hostgator's service.
hostgator used to be my favorate hosting provider and they used to provide good service (and didn't have to wait at all when using the live chat system - was very quick)and the technical support people knew a lot and could help 99.9999% of the time.

Hostgator used to be the hosting provider that i recomend to all the people that I develop websites for and for all the people that i assist with their websites... I used to be LOYAL hostgator...

However this has all had to change as i cannot recommend hostgator to my customers or friends and fellow company representitives if i am not happy with hostgator myself.

Hostgators service changed when the live chat changed to the new look... sometimes you will have to wait for quite sometime before being answered on the chat.... and when it does finally get allocated to a technition, they will often take between 5-10 minutes to answer a simple question (not technical at all, e.g. "can you see my site loading on your screen" surely doesn't even take 1 minute to answer that)... the amount of support people droped dramtically and it no longer say what number i am in the line etc... only when I show that I am annoyed or that i am thinking of changing providers do i get any support...

I ask a few questions on the chat system, and i don't get any replys for quite some time, and then when they do reply they don't understand... now i tell them that i am canceling the account and i get given all these offers and get told that hostgator service is meant to be something wonderful... when it is no longer any good at all...

Cheers
Jem

If i have helped... please click here to donate

Bookstore Mod
QuickShop Module
Restricted Access - Compulsory Login
Template Override - Category Specific (vQmod)
Template Override - Brand Specific (vQmod)
How did you find out about us register question mod
Compulsory Login vQmod
Brands In Top Menu
zoom - Product Image - Auto on hover


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:11 pm
Location - New Zealand (Tokomaru, Palmerston North)

User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:11 pm
Location - New Zealand (Tokomaru, Palmerston North)

Post by junkyfungus » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:20 am

Might be an old thread but I wanted to add my $0.02. Been using MidPhase for many years now. Have a reseller account there and while for the most part they are sound sometimes its total crap. I have an opencart shop on there and I have been away for the holiday the last few days. Here I was thinking business was awfully slow the last few days, but I guess everyone was on holiday too. Turns out whenever a customer attempted to login to an account they were told my security certificate is invalid. Its not. Midphase did some changes on the back end with security and totally screwed everything up. Worse part about it they knew and never mentioned it to anyone. The only reason I even knew was my client told me.

Wonder how much money my business lost. I have a very close friend who is an attorney so I'll be calculating and sending them a bill.

My point however is two fold. The first is to avoid midphase like you would a 300 lbs girl named Estelle with lip sores :crazy: and the second is for some recommendations for a good hosting company to move my shop to. Can't trust a company who willingly lets their clients business suffer for any reason. I am moving all my accounts off their servers but first is the business.

So yeah, suggestions please?

User avatar
New member

Posts

Joined
Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:37 pm
Location - Munford, TN

Post by marcelwoo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:31 am

I was pissed off by hostgator's service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have been using their vps for nearly one year and everything has been fine until recently.
My site keeps going down from time to time and every time I do a on-line chat, they tell me system snapshot is installed and they will have a full explanation of what causes downtime of the site. They keep telling me this. This is the 4th time I heard they say that fucking stupid system snapshot will be installed!!!
I am leaving hostgator for others. It is really sad.You know it is not easy to find a really good host provider. I really hope host gator was still doing great. But they seemingly are not ....

UPDATE
I am considering trying inmotion. But you know what? Their customer service representative closed the on-line chat without letting me know! So I pretended to be a naive cusomter asking some kinda silly questions and this annoyed them, LOL . By the way, they will charge you an arm and a leg for just installing something not-preinstalled on your server, ONE-TIME COST, 25USD!!! Ok, no more stupid inmotion for my lifetime. Gosh, it is really hard to find a hosting company that really cares about their customers. Will keep searching....

"We help each other to grow". That's the opencart community!

All free mods
Home Based Ebay business Opportunity(not ads)


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:45 am

Post by jonesofmaine » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:51 pm

junkyfungus wrote: The first is to avoid midphase like you would a 300 lbs girl named Estelle with lip sores :crazy:
hey junky fungus dear - my name is Estelle and I am quite plump.... please don't avoid me!

New member

Posts

Joined
Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:28 am

Post by marcelwoo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:31 am

WARNING: Do not use 247host.com!!!
Someone has mentioned in this topic that 247host is good. Yeah, they are so kind when they take your money, but when you ask for a refund, they just ignore you!
They do not offer customer service 24/7, although they name their company 247 host. They are slow in replying to your email.
I tried their VPS for about 2 weeks and found that uptime is not really good, only about 85%. Because of the horrible downtime and their slow response, I decided to ask for a refund. The email has been sent to their sales department as instructed by their customer service representative, yet I got no response at all! This is a scam!
They are actually a small company with only one customer service representative. I did on-line chats for a couple of times and it is the sample person answering my questions, whose name is Eric.

These sons of bitches just took my money and ran!!!!

"We help each other to grow". That's the opencart community!

All free mods
Home Based Ebay business Opportunity(not ads)


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:45 am

Post by Jeremy Fisk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:55 am

marcelwoo wrote:WARNING: Do not use 247host.com!!!
Someone has mentioned in this topic that 247host is good. Yeah, they are so kind when they take your money, but when you ask for a refund, they just ignore you!
They do not offer customer service 24/7, although they name their company 247 host. They are slow in replying to your email.
I tried their VPS for about 2 weeks and found that uptime is not really good, only about 85%. Because of the horrible downtime and their slow response, I decided to ask for a refund. The email has been sent to their sales department as instructed by their customer service representative, yet I got no response at all! This is a scam!
They are actually a small company with only one customer service representative. I did on-line chats for a couple of times and it is the sample person answering my questions, whose name is Eric.

These sons of bitches just took my money and ran!!!!
Fully agree... I was with 247host.com and they are terrible... i am currently with 247hosting.co.nz and they are not to bad when everything is going fine (like it normally is)... however when sonething goes wrong (e.g. the server goes down) it is next to impossible to get hold of them...

If i have helped... please click here to donate

Bookstore Mod
QuickShop Module
Restricted Access - Compulsory Login
Template Override - Category Specific (vQmod)
Template Override - Brand Specific (vQmod)
How did you find out about us register question mod
Compulsory Login vQmod
Brands In Top Menu
zoom - Product Image - Auto on hover


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:11 pm
Location - New Zealand (Tokomaru, Palmerston North)

Post by bigchili » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:10 am

Well this is a shameless plug, but my hosting is awesome. ;D

Check the sig for more details.

User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Wed May 16, 2012 3:00 am


Post by Jeremy Fisk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:40 am

bigchili wrote:Well this is a shameless plug, but my hosting is awesome. ;D

Check the sig for more details.
I would love to try out your hosting... however I do prefer a NZ based server as i am in NZ)

But i will recommend you to other clients should they ask me for any other recommendations

Cheers

jem

If i have helped... please click here to donate

Bookstore Mod
QuickShop Module
Restricted Access - Compulsory Login
Template Override - Category Specific (vQmod)
Template Override - Brand Specific (vQmod)
How did you find out about us register question mod
Compulsory Login vQmod
Brands In Top Menu
zoom - Product Image - Auto on hover


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:11 pm
Location - New Zealand (Tokomaru, Palmerston North)

Post by bigchili » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:56 am

Jeremy Fisk wrote:I would love to try out your hosting... however I do prefer a NZ based server as i am in NZ)
Understandable. Our servers are in the US. I guess if the majority of your clients are in New Zealand it would make sense to use servers located closer to home. Although in this day and age of High Speed Internet, maybe it doesn't matter so much. We host several UK websites and their sites load pretty fast.

Anyway we offer a fully functional 30 day free trial hosting account (no credit card or other financial details required), if you know anyone that wants to try us out. :)
Jeremy Fisk wrote:But i will recommend you to other clients should they ask me for any other recommendations
Thanks. Likewise I will recommend your mods to anyone that needed too. :)

User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Wed May 16, 2012 3:00 am


Post by Jeremy Fisk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:15 am

bigchili wrote:
Jeremy Fisk wrote:I would love to try out your hosting... however I do prefer a NZ based server as i am in NZ)
Understandable. Our servers are in the US. I guess if the majority of your clients are in New Zealand it would make sense to use servers located closer to home. Although in this day and age of High Speed Internet, maybe it doesn't matter so much. We host several UK websites and their sites load pretty fast.

Anyway we offer a fully functional 30 day free trial hosting account (no credit card or other financial details required), if you know anyone that wants to try us out. :)
Jeremy Fisk wrote:But i will recommend you to other clients should they ask me for any other recommendations
Thanks. Likewise I will recommend your mods to anyone that needed too. :)
Cheers for that... I do know of a few people that are getting annoyed with hostgator so i will make some recommendations to them...

Cheers

jem

If i have helped... please click here to donate

Bookstore Mod
QuickShop Module
Restricted Access - Compulsory Login
Template Override - Category Specific (vQmod)
Template Override - Brand Specific (vQmod)
How did you find out about us register question mod
Compulsory Login vQmod
Brands In Top Menu
zoom - Product Image - Auto on hover


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:11 pm
Location - New Zealand (Tokomaru, Palmerston North)

Post by ChetanCx » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:37 pm

i think share hosting is ok for starting a shop, VPS is too costly , yes there are security issues with shared hosting but its kind of trade off ... you can also consider https://www.arvixe.com/ hosting ... i heard they have good support for opencart (you can see their ad in forum and opencart main website )

User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:12 pm

Post by tomlien21 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:25 am

Do you have any experience with arvixe?

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:05 am

Post by productsthatwork.us » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:47 pm

Host Gator does not support OPEN CART. Here is the E-commerce Software they support: Magento, Zen Cart, osCommerce.


Posts

Joined
Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:20 pm
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest