Post by Chris_AXA » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:34 pm

I have a few questions regarding the import and export of large amounts of products (15k+) to a Store.

Let me preface by stating that I have successfully installed the free Import/Export extension by JNeuhoff. He even helped me to customize the script to handle some custom fields in the product table. While the extension is fine with a few thousand products, unfortunately I am now running into the memory limitations of the server where the store is hosted when trying to import 15,000 products.

I am looking at some of the other (paid) extensions and I am both unsure of which 1 is the best and if I will run into the same problems again. Rather than ask each individual extension developer I thought I would ask the question here.

So before buying I would like to know which 1 you guys prefer that support large amounts of products? Also which extension will allow me to include the import/export of custom fields in my database?

Finally, is there any word on whether a similar kind of functionality will be added to the core of Opencart? This is a rather vital function of a online shop if only just to mass update price or stock.

Thanks in advance!

Post by daik01 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:12 am

For just updating price, you'll better of with one of my product pricers:

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... on_id=9821

or for other updates:

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... on_id=9695

You don't need to import/export your products again

TOP 5 Opencart Extensions:
1:Opencart Reservations
2:Stock Report, import/export stock levels with Excel
3:3D Carousel
4:Product Price Changer by Category
5:Set price Inclusive Taxes
DEMO SHOP

Post by Chris_AXA » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:43 pm

If it were only updates than those extensions would be handy, but I need full import and export of all products including all fields.

Post by liamcaff » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:45 am

I'm in exactly the same boat!

Post by hostjars » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:21 am

It sounds like our CSV Import PRO and/or Total Import PRO would be suitable for the import job.

For exporting we do have the AnyFeed module.

(see links in signature)

Both of these will handle the amount of products you require but you would need to make sure the php timeout settings allowed it (importing/updating 15,000 products may hit most servers default 30 seconds). It is possible the feed generation might need to be split due to memory requirements, but the module allows smaller batches to be generated.

It does sound like you have some custom fields though, and none of our import or export tools would support these by default, but we could discuss adding them. If interested just reach out to us at enquiry@hostjars.com

Mods: Total Import PRO | Any Feed PRO | XML Input PRO |
CSV Import PRO

Post by nemesisjack » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:14 am

I'm currently in the same boat. JNeuhoff's extension is amazingly easy to use, the best I have seen in any shopping cart, but that ease of use comes at a price in memory usage

Post by rph » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:11 am

Run Import/Export on a local machine where you can increase system resources (php.ini), export the SQL through phpMyAdmin, then import it on your server. If necessary run the larger tables individually.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska