Post by InfiniteDezigns » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:28 am

Looking to know if Opencart can do this or if a plugin can be made to do this:

I have a client that i want to use open cart with. The prob is he's very lazy. He says he needs a system to do this because it's not beneficial for him to keep updating prices when the fluctuate on a month to month basis. He wants the open cart system to generate the retail price of his products based upon him entering or changing the price he gets from the wholesaler. Meaning that he only has to enter the wholesale price (cost, shipping cost charge to him, tax and so forth) then have open cart output a cost on the products page based upon this info + plus their markup price which is auto mathematically generated per product or manufacturer price. Sounds confusing at first, but picture this:

Lets say the manufacturer total cost to my client for a box was 120 which includes ($100 for the product, 18% or $18 for state tax, and $2 for Shipping). He then wants to enter in the product page somewhere these prices or percentages and have open cart generate a price on this info with their percentage up charge automatically generated also. So if they change lets say more on the printing from $2 to lets say $5, then the system will automatically change their up charge percentage (lets say from 20% to 21%) and generate a price (in this case $180) on the product page. WHEW. Don't mind the math as I'm sure it's not correct and it's only meant for visual purposes. But is their a plugin that can handle this or does this need to be created? and if so who wants to tackle this prob?

Post by SXGuy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:05 am

forgetting the maths for a moment (because thats not my job) you can automate the price process quite simply with a little excel knowledge.

Install the export/import tool, this will let you export all products and categories in to an excel spreedsheet.

Then you will need to create a few formulas which update prices based on a given math.

Then all your friend has to do is click a button, it all updates and he can import it back.

Thats the only way short of writting some long ass mod, which no body would do for less than £200 in my opinion.

Post by asphole » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:26 am

I have to agree, this would be far easier using the mod described above and an excel formula or two. You could protect the other cells too so he doesn't mess up any product info. Takes about 10 minutes to set up.

Post by uksitebuilder » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:29 pm

If it were a basic formula such as Selling Price = Cost + Percentage Markup

Then it would be easyish to mod

Likewise, and I have clients who do this, if it were a scaled mark-up

Cost
0 to 10 - Markup 300%
10.01 - 20 - Markup 275%
20.01 - 40 - Markup 200%

etc you get the idea

Guru Member

Location - United Kindgom

Post by InfiniteDezigns » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:25 pm

uksitebuilder wrote:If it were a basic formula such as Selling Price = Cost + Percentage Markup

Then it would be easyish to mod

Likewise, and I have clients who do this, if it were a scaled mark-up

Cost
0 to 10 - Markup 300%
10.01 - 20 - Markup 275%
20.01 - 40 - Markup 200%

etc you get the idea

Thats somewhat the client is looking for. Except it is more like this:

Wholesale cost
state tax
federal tax
shipping cost
--------------------
Total cost from wholesaler (broken down, line for line) = retail Cost + Markup = Membership Percentage + cost

crazy formula huh?

reason being they don't want to charge state + federal charges on total cost (which has been marked up) to get back the state and federal they were charged in the beginning from the wholesaler. Also they don't want to go into each and every product to figure this out as they plan on entering close to 250,000 new products in the system. They feel that their cost changes from the whole seller often and to calculate the retail cost and their markup would take way too much time for each individual product cause they are all different in markup costs. Not to mention they are doing memberships as well and depending on which level they will see a different price as well.

The idea of a excel spreadsheet is cool, however I don't know excel like that. But a module based on cost/per sale would be great for open cart as well. Whom ever can do this I need ASAP as their retail store is opening within a matter of weeks and they are getting antsy about this. I may have to go with another cart system Prob like Magento, however I have no experience with that and want to use Opencart - HELLPP!!!!!!!

Post by uksitebuilder » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:00 pm

How many products ? You are kidding right ? :laugh:

If not, then OpenCart is probably not for them, and certainly not using a mySQL database

Correct me if I'm wrong here guys, but it will simply fall flat on it's face.

Guru Member

Location - United Kindgom

Post by InfiniteDezigns » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:03 pm

uksitebuilder wrote:How many products ? You are kidding right ? :laugh:

If not, then OpenCart is probably not for them, and certainly not using a mySQL database

Correct me if I'm wrong here guys, but it will simply fall flat on it's face.

Sorry. Move the , to the left delete a 0 = 25,000

Post by fido-x » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:20 pm

To come up with a "final retail" price, the basic formulae are:
  • Wholesale price + tax paid + shipping paid = Net Retail price
    Net Retail price + markup + tax charged + shipping charged = Final Retail price
While it is relatively easy to create a mathematical function to achieve this based on the cost of the product, your basic problem exists here:
InfiniteDezigns wrote:... they are all different in markup costs.

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by InfiniteDezigns » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:36 pm

fido-x wrote:To come up with a "final retail" price, the basic formulae are:
  • Wholesale price + tax paid + shipping paid = Net Retail price
    Net Retail price + markup + tax charged + shipping charged = Final Retail price
While it is relatively easy to create a mathematical function to achieve this based on the cost of the product, your basic problem exists here:
InfiniteDezigns wrote:... they are all different in markup costs.

Exactly. Here lies the Ultimate problem. My question is can there be a Mod developed to be used in the Products creation section that with a few new areas this info can be put in to achieved this results per product or a pull down menu that can apply it as well?

Client (Like I mentioned in the first post ) is lazy and don't want to give me a listing to just create the products nor does he even know excel to create this formula either. He just want to put the products in but have opencart generate his retail cost by entering some info that can be manipulated later or updated in the cart by just updating his Wholesale cost + taxes.

Quick note: I found out yesterday why he does it this way. He uses Quickbooks Pos 10 and being that in his eyes it doest his for him he wants to do his online cart the same way without having to use the quickbooks online service for his store.

Post by InfiniteDezigns » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Still no answer or anybody up for the challenge?

Post by fido-x » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:39 am

Well, let's see. From the above formulae, we can take it that the "Net Retail price" and cost price are pretty much the same thing, since the price you pay is the wholesale price plus taxes and shipping.

Since OpenCart already handles the adding of taxes and shipping to the final product price, all we need to know is the amount of markup on the product, which can be added to the cost to work out the base price of the product.

As has been previously mentioned, the amount of markup is variable, which means it would have to be calculated on a "product by product" basis. This would more than likely require an extra couple of fields in the database table for the markup amount and product cost. The addProduct() and editProduct() queries in the module would need to be modified accordingly, and include a calculation that adds the markup to the cost, then use this value as the price that gets inserted into the table.

Since the title of this thread is Looking to know if Opencart can do this, I guess the answer is "Yes".

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by InfiniteDezigns » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:02 pm

fido-x wrote:Well, let's see. From the above formulae, we can take it that the "Net Retail price" and cost price are pretty much the same thing, since the price you pay is the wholesale price plus taxes and shipping.

Since OpenCart already handles the adding of taxes and shipping to the final product price, all we need to know is the amount of markup on the product, which can be added to the cost to work out the base price of the product.

As has been previously mentioned, the amount of markup is variable, which means it would have to be calculated on a "product by product" basis. This would more than likely require an extra couple of fields in the database table for the markup amount and product cost. The addProduct() and editProduct() queries in the module would need to be modified accordingly, and include a calculation that adds the markup to the cost, then use this value as the price that gets inserted into the table.

Since the title of this thread is Looking to know if Opencart can do this, I guess the answer is "Yes".

LOL. Good. I guess I should changed it to I need a Mod created then huh? LOL.

Post by Randowned » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:36 am

I think calculating and adding "the markup" should be done at the product page (at the very end). I mean, If I were you I wouldn't touch the database and core codes (I wouldn't want to hack OC). Creating a simple module or plugin should be able to do that easily.

PS: I don't know if a module/plugin would be able to do that since I'm new to OpenCart but i think it can do that.

Kaan.

Post by InfiniteDezigns » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:16 am

Cool. But I'm looking for a person to do this.

Post by H2O » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:44 am

This is an intriguing option and I am interested in this. Has anyone ever created a mod like this?

I'm looking for something where I enter in my cost, the % to mark up the price, and then opencart uses that information and creates the retail price.

my price + % mark up = retail price

This way when my distributors raise their prices, all I need to do is enter their price and mine is adjusted accordingly.

A good site for e-commerce advice.

H2O

Post by lewismedia » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:04 am

Noticed that nobody has posted anything on this thread in quite some time. Funny thing... while searching, I found an extension (far outdated) that does this, and was developed around the time of this thread.

Here's my issue. I am not lazy. I work 14-18 hour days, six days per week. I am a seasoned developer with more than 15 years of experience. That being said, I could create this module myself, but lack the intricate knowledge of the inner workings of OpenCart required to do the job properly... much less maintain and update the extension with each new release.

The problem is, managing cost / sell price with an Excel spreadsheet makes me wonder... why were enterprise-level accounting systems ever developed, with the goal of automating these processes? Why doesn't everyone just use Excel? ANSWER: because it's a more efficient method of doing things. Reduce the steps necessary to achieve the desired result, and maintain a consistent database of product costs while allowing me to set product pricing in a way that varies widely from product line to product line. Efficiency, and accuracy of data is the bottom line.

So, I now ask... A) WHY is this not a built-in feature of opencart? B) Not being a built-in feature, I wonder why there is not more demand for an extension which accomplishes this task effectively?

To me, it seems absolutely ridiculous that this is not a built-in feature. Then again, I've been working in the wholesale industry as a developer and sales manager for years.

Any constructive feedback? Am I the crazy one here?

Post by InfiniteDezigns » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Lewis Nobody still haven't come up with a solution for this. H2): I'm interested also still in this solution, but alas I guess we are still on a hunt for it.

Post by lewismedia » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:25 am

I've now given up the search for a preexisting extension. I'm coding a vQmod from scratch that does this. When it's done, I'll post it on the open market for free. Only version I'm making compatible, friends, is v1.5.4.1. Stand by.

Post by gladen » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:07 pm

HI guys, I'm new here (just installed a local version last night) so I might be talking out of my butt...however....

I recall seeing a free extension that allows you to track profits from sales compared against wholesale cost.

To me this signifies that some additional fields are added to a product record in the database for this process.

If that is possible, which it must be, then it would be easy to add a modification in PHP that takes the wholesale cost, runs it through whatever formulae you decide (using a series of 'if' and 'else if' or a simple 'switch' ) and puts that value into the price field prior to passing everything to model that saves a product to the database.

I know about ZERO about VQMOD right now, but from what I read in the sparse documentation on the webiste, you could perhaps even pass the process through an XML modification rather than dink around with the source code itself.

Like I said, I am very new and might not have any idea about what I am talking about, but it seems to make sense to me.

So please, if you would Lewis, let me know if I have the right of it or am merely whispering from my posterior.

Post by lewismedia » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:16 pm

I just completed a simple version of this extension which adds a "Markup Percentage" field under "Price" in the product data tab. I didn't write the code that adds the "markup" column to the database, because it wasn't designed as a public extension, so you'll need to do this part yourself.

Database structure is pretty simple... go into phpMyAdmin and add the column next to price named "markup", with the same settings as price. Then, upload the attached XML to your vQmod folder and you're ready to roll.

Attachments

Simple product markup vQmod.