Post by andrew222 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:52 am

Here's an idea. Perhaps a programmer out there could make some money on the side and create a single patch to fix all the bugs to date on v1.5.4.1 and the sell it as an extension on the OC site or their own site.

I'm positive that those of us that just want to run a store and don't have either the knowledge or time to fix bugs would gladly pay for such a patch?

If it's open source code would that be a problem?

If store owners see something that's worth making another upgrade in the future then we have the option to leave as is with a bug free installation or upgrade and take a chance.

Any thoughts?

Post by Calcite » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:29 pm

That's been done pretty much by one of the forum members. He posted an Upload folder containing patched 1.5.4.1 files somewhere here in the forum, but I have not been able to find the thread at the moment.

Post by olimax » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:49 pm

I thought this was the idea of the repository so there would be branches of the releases with the bugs fixed.
Unfortunately a new version seems to appear with a whole set of new issues and it gets passed by.
I would love to see one bug free version that I could confidently stick to for a year or so. Much more use than odd little extra features.

Location - Barcelona & London

Post by i2Paq » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:37 pm

olimax wrote:I thought this was the idea of the repository so there would be branches of the releases with the bugs fixed.
Unfortunately a new version seems to appear with a whole set of new issues and it gets passed by.
I would love to see one bug free version that I could confidently stick to for a year or so. Much more use than odd little extra features.
An ongoing discussion for the last x years which is costing us, users of OpenCart, a lot of time = money each time we need to upgrade to a new version to fix bugs in the previous version and to find out you get new bugs with the new version.

The cost of the upgrade you cannot charge to you customer(s) because they hold you responsible for fixing the bugs.

I welcome the idea of building a commercial bug-fix release and I would gladly pay for such a bug-fix patch release.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by ADD Creative » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:19 am

I have updated my collection of fixes I have extracted from GitHub.

Replace the files in 1.5.4.1 with the ones attched. If any of the original files have been modified then the mods will need adding the the patched files. Any vQmods will also need testing.

Warning there may be mistakes in there or files I've missed so test before updating a live store.

Attachments

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by i2Paq » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:20 pm

ADD Creative wrote:I have updated my collection of fixes I have extracted from GitHub.

Replace the files in 1.5.4.1 with the ones attched. If any of the original files have been modified then the mods will need adding the the patched files. Any vQmods will also need testing.

Warning there may be mistakes in there or files I've missed so test before updating a live store.
Your da man! :)

Did you have the change to test this on a live/working situation?

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by ADD Creative » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:42 pm

I've not tested on a live store yet, only local test. Because every store is configured differently anyone using the patches will need to test their setup before going live.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Post by Qphoria » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:09 pm

I think a lot of you focus too much on bleeding edge and bugs than you need to. I'm running v1.5.3r1139 and there are no bugs that I've seen. No sleepless nights. Before that i was on 1.5.1.3 for over a year. Never bothered with 1.5.2. Unless there is really some must have feature, you don't need really need to feel compelled to just on the next version within the first 10 secs of release. In fact, historically every new version gets a patch about a week later. New versions should be left in test only and wait a week for the patch release. I don't even do paid upgrades the first week a new version comes out. I tell people to wait.

There will always be some minor bugs and most won't affect more than 15% of users. Even in the current bug thread... I pruned 16 pages down to 2 and the only "Bugs" were fixed in 1.5.4.1 or fixed another one-time way.

Too many of you have next bug syndrome.. you'll see a bug fix for a payment module that isn't even available for use in your country, but you'll fawn over it like you must have a new build. There are places you can get help for this.

Administrator

Post by i2Paq » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:29 pm

Qphoria wrote:I think a lot of you focus too much on bleeding edge and bugs than you need to. I'm running v1.5.3r1139 and there are no bugs that I've seen. No sleepless nights. Before that i was on 1.5.1.3 for over a year. Never bothered with 1.5.2. Unless there is really some must have feature, you don't need really need to feel compelled to just on the next version within the first 10 secs of release. In fact, historically every new version gets a patch about a week later. New versions should be left in test only and wait a week for the patch release. I don't even do paid upgrades the first week a new version comes out. I tell people to wait.

There will always be some minor bugs and most won't affect more than 15% of users. Even in the current bug thread... I pruned 16 pages down to 2 and the only "Bugs" were fixed in 1.5.4.1 or fixed another one-time way.

Too many of you have next bug syndrome.. you'll see a bug fix for a payment module that isn't even available for use in your country, but you'll fawn over it like you must have a new build. There are places you can get help for this.
It is not "just" about the bug-fixes it is about the fact we have been told, over and over again, that with the move to Github it would be easy and possible to extract the files needed to fix bugs in the version used. The need or no need for these fixes is up to the user.

People get scared when they see and read any bug related topic, especially when you see "Fixed on Github", then to find out there is no way on getting the fix without having to install a buggy client and go to school to learn how to use it.

Whatever there is said about bugs, as long as there is no fix is provided that can easily be added to your version people will see a ghost and stay scared if their store will be "victim" of that bug.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by qahar » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:21 am

If OpenCart github concentrate the v.1.5.5 development in master branch, we need another repo to acomodate bugs fix contribution.
ADD Creative wrote:I have updated my collection of fixes I have extracted from GitHub.
Someone need to pull the trigger, I suggest you to create Github repo with those fix.
If you don't have time to watch the repo then invite some people to help monitor the pull request.

@Qphoria
Actually I prefer you to do this.
If it's you, most possibly the bugs fix in 1.5.4 will be added to 1.5.5.

I know there is possibility OpenCart will fix their Github branch management in the future.
But people need solution and it will be long wait for the next version (1.5.5) to be stable release.

Expert Member

Location - Indonesia

Post by i2Paq » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:11 pm

qahar wrote:I know there is possibility OpenCart will fix their Github branch management in the future.
But people need solution and it will be long wait for the next version (1.5.5) to be stable release.
I know that to, everybody knows this, but is it a near future or is it somewhere in the stars?

The next release, maybe 1.5.5, will have the same issue as 1.5.4, 1.5.3 and any other previous release: it has the fixes for bugs found in a previous release + new features and thus again bugs.

For the love of God, I cannot understand why an organization as OpenCart has gotten does not have a proper bug-fix mechanism just to release bug-fixes for (previous) versions?
And I do not mean an automatic mechanism but just a simple bug fix release, needed or not.

This would boost the trust in OpenCart.

Look a PrestaShop, how easy it is to get a fix for any bug found.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by tophat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:13 am

Lots of a valid points here and will leave it in the hands of the hardcore developers to discuss. I however, have not really encountered many real bugs to be honest (perhaps it's because I'm not looking for them!). The bugs that are encountered are usually a fault of internal changes rather than the core structure.

Webmaster for: http://www.getlaidbeds.co.uk + www.mattressmoose.co.uk + www.pixellounge.co.uk

Post by nice1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:21 am

the currency conversion doesnt even work! ? ???

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:02 pm

nice1 wrote:the currency conversion doesnt even work! ? ???
Oh yes, it does. Works perfectly fine. If you think there is a bug, please provide more details so others can reproduce your error.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by villagedefrance » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:39 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to say that 1.5.4.1 is very well coded and virtually bug free.
But I have to agree with Nice1, there is a bug in "system/library/currency.php" on line 45, where the 'HTTP_HOST' request has been triggering an error on my website ... until I found the fix a few days ago!

ORIGINAL CODE (lines 44 to 46)

Code: Select all

if (!isset($this->request->cookie['currency']) || ($this->request->cookie['currency'] != $currency)) {
 setcookie('currency', $currency, time() + 60 * 60 * 24 * 30, '/', $this->request->server['HTTP_HOST']);
}
FIXED CODE

if (!isset($this->request->cookie['currency']) || ($this->request->cookie['currency'] != $currency)) {
 // Cookie Fix Start
 if (isset($this->request->server['HTTP_HOST'])) {
   $_SERVER['HTTP_CONTEXT'] = $this->request->server['HTTP_HOST'];
 } else {
   $_SERVER['HTTP_CONTEXT'] = $this->request->server['SERVER_NAME'];
 }
 setcookie('currency', $currency, time() + 60 * 60 * 24 * 30, '/', $_SERVER['HTTP_CONTEXT']);
 // Cookie Fix End
}
So if you keep getting "currency" errors you can try the above code in your "system/library/currency.php".

Alright, now my only disappointment with 1.5.4.1 are the Product Tags!
Why did we remove the very good Product Tag Database present in 1.5.3.1 and merge it into Product Description in 1.5.4.1 instead?
Troubles is now that nobody (including me) has been able to make a decent Tag Cloud module for 1.5.4.1, but more importantly it seems that the Opencart Search (on search page) doesn't return product tags if they are uppercase!
Example (with search in categories and description ticked):
- add "camera, EOS, SLR" for the Canon EOS 5D and "camera, D300, SLR" for the Nikon D300.
- enter "camera" in Search: results are both products, OK. (lowercase is fine)
- enter "EOS" in Search: result is Canon product, OK. (uppercase is fine here because EOS (like D300) is in the Name)
- enter "SLR" in Search: NO results!
Do let me know if you guys can reproduce this and confirm that it is a bug in product model file with the filters.
I have been unable to fix this while working on a Tag Cloud Module for 1.5.4.1.

Regards to all.
Last edited by villagedefrance on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OpenCart custom solutions @ https://villagedefrance.net

Location - UK

Post by Calcite » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:13 pm

Thanks for the fix.

I have had error messages in the log referring to the same file and line 45, so I guess it will be worth trying this fix out.

Just wish I could find out the source of the other error I'm having, but so far no one seems to have a solution, and not sure if it is a bug - see here...

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=87310

Post by i2Paq » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:08 pm

Calcite wrote:Thanks for the fix.

I have had error messages in the log referring to the same file and line 45, so I guess it will be worth trying this fix out.

Just wish I could find out the source of the other error I'm having, but so far no one seems to have a solution, and not sure if it is a bug - see here...

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=87310
See my reply and please continue about that issue in your topic instead of this topic.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by ADD Creative » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:44 pm

villagedefrance wrote:Hi all,

Just wanted to say that 1.5.4.1 is very well coded and virtually bug free.
But I have to agree with Nice1, there is a bug in "system/library/currency.php" on line 45, where the 'HTTP_HOST' request has been triggering an error on my website ... until I found the fix a few days ago!

ORIGINAL CODE (lines 44 to 46)

setcookie('currency', $currency, time() + 60 * 60 * 24 * 30, '/', $this->request->server['HTTP_HOST']);
}
FIXED CODE

// Cookie Fix Start
 if (isset($this->request->server['HTTP_HOST'])) {
   $_SERVER['HTTP_CONTEXT'] = $this->request->server['HTTP_HOST'];
 } else {
   $_SERVER['HTTP_CONTEXT'] = $this->request->server['SERVER_NAME'];
 }
 setcookie('currency', $currency, time() + 60 * 60 * 24 * 30, '/', $_SERVER['HTTP_CONTEXT']);
 // Cookie Fix End
}
So if you keep getting "currency" errors you can try the above code in your "system/library/currency.php".

Alright, now my only disappointment with 1.5.4.1 are the Product Tags!
Why did we remove the very good Product Tag Database present in 1.5.3.1 and merge it into Product Description in 1.5.4.1 instead?
Troubles is now that nobody (including me) has been able to make a decent Tag Cloud module for 1.5.4.1, but more importantly it seems that the Opencart Search (on search page) doesn't return product tags if they are uppercase!
Example (with search in categories and description ticked):
- add "camera, EOS, SLR" for the Canon EOS 5D and "camera, D300, SLR" for the Nikon D300.
- enter "camera" in Search: results are both products, OK. (lowercase is fine)
- enter "EOS" in Search: result is Canon product, OK. (uppercase is fine here because EOS (like D300) is in the Name)
- enter "SLR" in Search: NO results!
Do let me know if you guys can reproduce this and confirm that it is a bug in product model file with the filters.
I have been unable to fix this while working on a Tag Cloud Module for 1.5.4.1.

Regards to all.
The tag issue has been reported here. https://github.com/opencart/opencart/issues/165

A possible temporary workaround is here. http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 80#p348880

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Post by Qphoria » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:33 pm

i2Paq wrote: It is not "just" about the bug-fixes it is about the fact we have been told, over and over again, that with the move to Github it would be easy and possible to extract the files needed to fix bugs in the version used. The need or no need for these fixes is up to the user.

People get scared when they see and read any bug related topic, especially when you see "Fixed on Github", then to find out there is no way on getting the fix without having to install a buggy client and go to school to learn how to use it.

Whatever there is said about bugs, as long as there is no fix is provided that can easily be added to your version people will see a ghost and stay scared if their store will be "victim" of that bug.
Dunno who promised that.... in fact even at my old day job... one of the teams switched to github from svn and had numerous problems... so the rest of the teams decided not to move over to git. git is no simpler than svn... and it still relies on development process. We never made the old unstable trunk/stable branch thing work last time because the development process for opencart isn't structured enough. Daniel doesn't believe in backward compatibility or deprecation and the core is very reliant on itself so small changes to key core files will ultimately change the rest.

The fact is, when dealing with uncompiled code, you can't use svn or git for immediate bug fixes because there are too many moving parts. When you have binary files that can simply be grabbed and recompiled that is fine.. but an open language like php in a design like a cart system will never allow quick fixes from the repository.

Maybe in the case where there is a clear cut bug fix and it is specifically declared that redownloading this one file will fix it... but in most cases, there are other changes to that one file... and the developers aren't going to make the fix, then check it in, then add their new stuff separately... especially if their new stuff is already in the file... and if that new stuff breaks other old stuff. It's a management nightmare.

Lets put it straight once and for all.. Unless you are a developer and know exactly what every error means and how to fix it... you should NEVER download from the repository directly. You should ALWAYS wait for the next release and ALWAYS manually fix bugs as the fixes are shown on the Bug forum. Period.

Administrator

Post by JNeuhoff » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:25 am

Nice work. Would it be possible to create an OpenCart 1.5.4.1 fork on github with all your bugfixes? And maybe keep this bugfix release maintained by the community for a year or two?

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member