Post by MWYS » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:30 pm

Daniel wrote:
CodeBits wrote:Well it's a good cart either way.

Thanks Daniel
i'm thinbking of putting back to just drilling down now.

christ!
By having it the way you had planned for 1.3.3 it gives it far more flexibility. I agree they way it currently is, is far more easier to make changes, but you restricted so much by having only one layout file.

The other issue is, some people here have said that they prefer just to use conditional If statements on blocks of code if your wanting to show / hide a block depending on a page, Yeah - that's fine if your using the default template.

When i code my design into XHTML, I do it from scratch, not based off the original markup, and depending on the type of design i'm doing my XHTML Code could be drastically different from a 3-column layout to a 1 column layout and therefore cannot just use a conditional if on a small block of code but would have to do it for most of the template.

Having to do this in my Layout.tpl i find very...constricting

Code: Select all

if ( ($this->request->get['route'] == 'catalog/product') || ($this->request->get['route'] == 'catalog/checkout') ) {
<div>
	<div>
		<div></div>
	</div>
</div>
} else {
<div>
	<div></div>
</div>
}
Of course, having it the way Daniel planned it requires more work to make changes, but how often do you make changes after development? You have to remember it's not as if your going to be updating the layout on a day-to-day basis, and generally will only have to update the layouts whilst you are building the site, but by doing it the way Daniel planned means you have far more control over the design and structure of the website.

Why use the old method when you know it requires a 'tacky' apprach to get the result that can be done much more efficiently, albeit requires a touch more work.

Post by Qphoria » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:42 pm

Ok, so then a much simpler way would just to support multiple layout.tpl files. create a constant called "LAYOUT" in the config and then point it to the path of the layout file you want to use. Then create a bunch of layout1.tpl, layout2.tpl, etc

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:50 pm

thank you! MWYS

I'm going to use the new method.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by mendozal » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:59 pm

I like the new layout system ;D
I've created a new template by copying and changing de CSS and just 2 o 3 files without copying the rest.

But in the admin page, when I select the new template and save the combo always shows "default" as selected but the new template is applied to the site.

Post by imaginetech » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:59 pm

Hi,

I find this discussion very interesting. From what I have read both camps illustrate the pros and cons well and no doubt this debate will come to a point where a logical approach is found.

My only suggestions are:

1) That it might be time for the release schedule to be modified and the creation of a development branch and a stable branch.

2) Taking the development threads and placing them on another forum or mailing list. Daniel would know exactly the traffic this site gets and I'm not sure it's putting the best foot forward by debating significant changes that break compatibility in full view of potential devs/designers that may be looking at using opencart in projects.

Just some thoughts. I think this project has real potential compared to many of the other carts but I also believe the rapid pace of development needs to be balanced against allowing the development community enough time to grow.

Imagine having a dozen Q's sprouting up and developing additional functionality on top of Daniel's code base.

www.opencartstore.com
Get OpenCart Templates and OpenCart Modules.

Location - Darwin, Australia

Post by Qphoria » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:39 pm

mendozal wrote:I like the new layout system ;D
I've created a new template by copying and changing de CSS and just 2 o 3 files without copying the rest.
That has nothing to do with the new layout. that is something that will work with the old method too.

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:46 pm

Daniel wrote:thank you! MWYS

I'm going to use the new method.
Eh.. so one guy agrees and you change your mind again..

How about adding both methods then.. As I have been updating my mods to work with 1.3.3, my rule is that I make one version of the code and use conditionals to decide which way to load it.

For example:
v1.3.2 uses (admin controllers):

$this->layout   = 'common/layout';
$this->render();
v1.3.3 uses (admin controllers):

$this->children = array(
	'common/header',
	'common/menu',
	'common/footer'
);
$this->response->setOutput($this->render(TRUE));
So in my code I use a conditional:

if (property_exists('Controller', 'layout')) {
	$this->layout   = 'common/layout';
	$this->render();
} else {
	$this->children = array(
		'common/header',
 		'common/menu',
		'common/footer'
	);
	$this->response->setOutput($this->render(TRUE));
}
This way one file works for ALL versions. I use similar methods where needed.

So maybe something like that is needed.

mendozal wrote:I like the new layout system ;D
That has nothing to do with the new layout. that is something that will work with the old method too.
imaginetech wrote: Imagine having a dozen Q's sprouting up and developing additional functionality on top of Daniel's code base.
Scary! But there could never be more than one "Q" 8)

Administrator

Post by CodeBits » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:55 pm

Watching the ships roll in, then I watch them roll away again.... I'm just sitting on the dock of the bay wasting time........ :P

Post by thanaa » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:59 pm

I've been using 1.3.2 for a client and loaded up a test version on my dev server to see what it took to convert templates from 1.3.2 to 1.3.3. Its really not that bad...in its most simplistic form, you have to add

<?php echo $header; ?><?php echo $column_left; ?><?php echo $column_right; ?>
<div id="content">

to the top of just about every template file, and

</div>
<?php echo $footer; ?> 
to the bottom.

All in all it took about 2 hours to change a template i downloaded from the contributions section i think the am_dark2 template?

There are of course other things that go into upgrading the templates like new product fields etc. All that being said the process isn't that difficult, but i do i agree with most people the new process feels a bit clunky compared to the old version. The ability to select different templates for different pages would be awesome though, not sure who recommended that.

I do really like this cart and its my cart of choice for clients, The only bug i've spied thats gone unnoticed so far is that the template option field in the admin->settings is always displaying alphabetically , so if my template of choice is not first alphabetically and i save something else in settings it resets the template to whatever template is first alphabetically. -- EDIT - Just saw someone else posted this, but the second part i've not seen mentioned --- Also if my session expires while on that page and i happen to click on the template dropdown the box for the template preview opens the entire admin login page within the settings page. I'm trying to figure out right now why that list keeps displaying alphabetically because in the controller it looks like it -should- be setting the config_template to selected.

Location - Türkiye

Post by thanaa » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:13 am

In regards to the bug about the templates not keeping the current template as the selected template in the options dropdown :

In admin/view/template/setting/setting.tpl on line 76

<?php if ($template['value'] == $config_template) { ?>
should be

<?php if ($template == $config_template) { ?>
That fixes the the issue.

Post by mendozal » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:17 am

thank you! It works.

Post by CodeBits » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:36 am

thanaa wrote:In regards to the bug about the templates not keeping the current template as the selected template in the options dropdown :

In admin/view/template/setting/setting.tpl on line 76

<?php if ($template['value'] == $config_template) { ?>
should be

<?php if ($template == $config_template) { ?>
That fixes the the issue.
Very cool works just fine... thanks ;)

Post by Jan R » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:45 am

Jan Here...

You know Daniel what I would really like to see is a Espresso button on the main menu.. When I am up late working on websites I really could use an Espresso and I think it should be included in your program.

Nothing fancy just options for a few choice flavors. Perhaps you could take a poll to see who likes what.. and then add some more each update (I would like to see OpenCart 1.4 within the month)

While your at it don't forget to include options for toppings..

I know your not doing much these days, so if you could be a doll and get this implemented ASAP.. :-*
Thanks -=:@:=- JUST KIDDING!

»-(¯`·.·´¯)->"The most wasted day in that in which we have not laughed."<-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

Post by robbercrombie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:59 am

it all narrows down to either:

Comfort Zone: Easy, everyone is used to and have been working on, but kinda limited

or

New Zone: Requires more time, and involves lots of edits, yet offers a great deal of Flexibility

Change is hard , and most people wont like nor accept it

Since this is your cart, your project, and your baby, you should do whatever you believe fits you future plans..

and if you care for my opinion, i would go with the new method for 1.3.3.. then improve with the template system as newer versions come to live.. especially that 1.3.2 is quite stable and most new additions can be applied to it

thats just what i think

Good job either way, this cart rules

~ Robbercrombie

Post by CodeBits » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:12 am

robbercrombie wrote:it all narrows down to either:

Comfort Zone: Easy, everyone is used to and have been working on, but kinda limited

or

New Zone: Requires more time, and involves lots of edits, yet offers a great deal of Flexibility

Change is hard , and most people wont like nor accept it

Since this is your cart, your project, and your baby, you should do whatever you believe fits you future plans..

and if you care for my opinion, i would go with the new method for 1.3.3.. then improve with the template system as newer versions come to live.. especially that 1.3.2 is quite stable and most new additions can be applied to it

thats just what i think

Good job either way, this cart rules
Totally agree here... Big Ditto!!!

Post by Qphoria » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:32 am

I know!
Remove templates and pull it all from db. :D

Administrator

Post by lucyvanpelt » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:59 am

hi team.

new here. first off want to thank daniel for putting this together. very awesome. i just downloaded this software last week. before opencart, i was trying to create a little mashup of indexhibit (i love the expanding menus with javascript, can i add that here?) and simplecart.js (which obv don't have much security...and functionality) i found it limiting. indexhibit is wonderful for showcasing artwork but for ecommerce i needed a little extra....

here are my thoughts: im still learning alot about ecommerce, but what i really think is, the "software" shouldn't limit you. it seems like just having layouts sounds limiting. like terrible joomla...ive tried that and wanted to throw my computer out the window. its so cooky cutter, most of us want to develop a project that doesnt look exactly like the demo...yeah maybe my layout is pink and yours is green, but its really the same thing....

with that said, i have downloaded your 1.32 and 1.33 and back to 1.32 waiting for the 1.33 to finish.. (do we know an eta?)

this is what i think: the end of the day i think most of us want a non cart shopping cart...something of our own. The shoopping cart shouldnt be your website it should be an element. From what ive read and what i understand...daniel's intentions for 1.3.3 make sense to give us more liberties. i think maybe just have more instructions on how to customize (what html files to edit to get what result) it in the doc section and then i think we would be good to go.

the only thing i would like to say further is, with websites like indexhibit it is nice to have a layout yu can quickly switch from one to another....that you create thats fully customizable in dreamweaver using java and html to make the world go round....all you have to do was create a folder and name it that had your edited style.css, index.php, and it would show up in your "admin page"...it seemed a little more customizable too... i think this can be achievable here if i am correct with a mixture of 1.33 and 1.32...

thanks again and looking forward to see how 1.33 (or 1.34)

Post by carlos001 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:00 am

Amazing!!!
I install in a new site and is work perfect!!
I only need a templates updates for this version to upgrade my site!!!
create my paypal account for a donation i think i donate tomorrow!!!
Thanks!!!!
;D

Post by Daniel » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:14 am

I will release the offical version soon. Just trying to bug fix the google chrome width problem.

also added authorizenet aim.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator