Post by datasmog » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:58 pm

I'm looking at OpenCart as a possible replacement for osCommerce, and so far I'm impressed with the product. I have a default V1.3.2 shop running on MAMP with the Import/Export contribution.

My main concern is the product images folder structure.
There doesn't appear to be one. All the images are lumped into the one image folder together.
With several thousand products of differing manufacture, brand etc., and their images, I'd really prefer to segregate images into folders according to brand.
Something like -/image/apple/ipod/ipod.jpg
Is this possible?
I see from the downloaded xls spreadsheet that images are just named, with no path to image folder.

With osCommerce all images are uploaded via ftp to their respective folders and a similar xls spreadsheet defines the path.
This could be a deal breaker for us. Without this the image folder is going to be a nightmare to administer.
How do other users of OpenCart with thousands of images manage?

Post by Qphoria » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:18 am

what do you need to administer? You upload images with the product. When you delete the product, it deletes the image. You have no real need to even look in that folder.

Administrator

Post by datasmog » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:52 am

Ah interesting. I did not know that deleting the product also deleted the image. That is not the case with osCommerce. Would it also delete the images in the cache folder?

Thanks for your reply.

Post by Daniel » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:22 am

I need to create a image filemanager. I just don;t have time to do this as it takes so long and there are so many security issues to thign about.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by datasmog » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:52 pm

Following on from this, working with a default 1.3.2 installed on MAMP, deleting products does not delete the images. Unless I'm missing something.
The Import/Export contribution works well but does not touch the image folders either.

Post by sean » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:17 am

Can it just be one folder / product id. If product is deleted, folder can be deleted too. This was there is no need to manage any image, just upload images for product; images will uploaded into corresponding folder. It is easy to find images, and very unlikely to override an image by accident.

Post by montanaflynn » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:26 am

Can you not just create sub-folders and add the to the image path in your excel sheet? I did not test this but it may work, only thing I could think would break is the cache.