Post by gila » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi everibody,

using open cart i noticed thath there's not a control for the unique value of the field "model" and "product name" while inert a product, it's correct?

so i can have two identical product with the same name and the same sku but different in the description, in the confirmation mail i have just the name and the product model, how i can choose the right product to ship?

thank you.

Post by Qphoria » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:52 pm

How about common sense? ??? ;D
If you add 2 products, both with the same model and same name... then I would assume its the same product

Administrator

Post by gila » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:31 am

and if you sell 2 (or more) identical products, one new and the other one used?
and if you sell 2 (or more) identical products, one perfect and the other one with a scratch?

and if you have a large amount of product and you insert a new product without remember there's one yet?
you have two time, or more time, the same product in the shop, it's no good in my opinion.

yes it's a question of common sense, but i think the SKU fields must be unique, i'm relly surprised in opencart there is not this control ???

there is someone who faced this problem?

thank you

Post by kcllc » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:45 am

Nope - before I add a new product (I have something like 700 in my shop) I run a check on the SKU to make sure it's not already been added... and if I have one new and one used or dinged or what have you, I just add a character to the SKU such as KC123 is the original new one and KC123u is the "u"sed one.

Post by Qphoria » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:24 am

By your requirements, you could not sell 2 different TVs with the same model number, but you just said you have 2 exact same tvs to sell. A scratch wouldn't change the model number

How about
Name: Sony Bravia 60"
Model: GXW-145

Name: Sony Bravia 60" (scratched)
Model: GXW-145

Or, create 1 product, and create options:
Option1 : Condition:
Values:
New
Mint
NearMint
Good
Fair

Then use Options Plus to keep individual inventory

Administrator

Post by workwonder01 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:39 am

Has this issue sovled yet?

I think the system needs to have a field with unique value to make sure we do not upload duplicated items on our site. With the number of items increases, it would be very hard for us to memorize and check if the item has already been uploaded or not. Two many duplicated items will make the site look bad.

We need to have such a field for each item. So if we accidentially upload the same item, the program can pop-up an error message "Sorry. The same item has already been added [link to that item]."

Can someone answer this?