Post by QA Arvixe » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:57 am

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems, but I am not seeing unreasonable network traffic on any of our servers at the moment, nor are any of them unavailable, though one is currently at a relatively high load.

Do you have a ticket open with our support department that I can take a look at?

Post by bigchili » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:09 am

New Guy wrote:This feels like a DDoS. I know one when I feel one.
Are you referring to the fact that it's taking forever for OpenCart pages to load (if they even do)? I've been getting extremely slow response times when browsing the OpenCart website, and a lot of times I get the "can't connect to server" browser error message. It's sporadic though...

I thought it was just my internet connection or something. Is anyone else noticing slow response times on the website here?

Post by Tcalp » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:44 am

OC server has been getting hit with DDoS attack today.

Increase Page Speed (#1 rated commercial extension on OpenCart Marketplace)
15in1 Essential Extensions Value Pack Premium Customer Testimonials Reward Points Extended Admin Security Lockdown Suite

irc.freenode.net #opencart

Post by MarketInSG » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:11 am

no, it's everyone experiencing it. That's why the bad sales recently too...

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by Daniel » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:12 pm

OpenCart came under DDos attack starting Thursday. it got really bad on Saturday night and the site became intermittent.

I don't blame arvixe for this. There is little you can do when your site is being hit with 20,000 connections per second repetitively requesting the same pages over and over.

arvixe had an engineer working on my site all day try to fix the problem and seems to have pulled it off.

we have also had a lot spam on the forum recently as well which may be part of the attack.

i'm not sure the reason why opencart is being attacked only that the people behind it are selfish by wasting my time and many others who provide free software that helps 10,000's of people.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by annelim » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:08 pm

i totally dislike those bot, spammer, and troublemaker, just filter them. DDOS why no one can solve this in this century? opencart rock.keep move forward !

Post by Avvici » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Daniel wrote:OpenCart came under DDos attack starting Thursday. it got really bad on Saturday night and the site became intermittent.

I don't blame arvixe for this. There is little you can do when your site is being hit with 20,000 connections per second repetitively requesting the same pages over and over.

arvixe had an engineer working on my site all day try to fix the problem and seems to have pulled it off.

we have also had a lot spam on the forum recently as well which may be part of the attack.

i'm not sure the reason why opencart is being attacked only that the people behind it are selfish by wasting my time and many others who provide free software that helps 10,000's of people.
Hmm perhaps I could offer a reason. Open cart is immensely popular. With growing popularity comes the inevitable growth of attackers that have nothing better to do than send out their programs to do damage. The nature of DDoS is just as you said. It "wastes" peoples time and money. Distributed denial-of-service attacks can paralyze even the most well-structured network for days, costing millions of dollars in lost sales, freezing online services and crippling a company's reputation. In short, it's nasty...

Post was trimmed/edited above as requested.

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by rph » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:29 pm

You never know what the motivation is but a recent trend is launching DDoS attacks in connection with blackmail attempts.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by bigchili » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:53 pm

Daniel wrote:OpenCart came under DDos attack starting Thursday. it got really bad on Saturday night and the site became intermittent . . .

. . . we have also had a lot spam on the forum recently as well which may be part of the attack.

I was the one who asked about the forum spam because I noticed so much of it lately and I was wondering what was going on. I also noticed that the OpenCart website got slower once you re-enabled the Spam Controls (because you said they were turned off). Perhaps the Spammers got pissed that you turned the Spam Control back on and decided to launch a DDoS attack. The timing seems to fit at least...

Post by GoGo OpenCart » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:33 pm

Daniel wrote:I don't blame arvixe for this.
Totally agree with this.

First I thought that it has something to do with my internet connection, so I asked couple of my customers if they have problems opening the site, and they all confirmed that they can't. Then I checked the main Arvixe's site, and it opened just fine. I was also in the middle of transferring one of my customers' site from one hosting onto Arvixe's hosting, and everything was smooth, without any problems. Then I realized that maybe is happening what actually happened, and I'm glad that it's all over now, and the site again is functioning as it should ;)

See all my extensions: https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... 20OpenCart