Post by Brook » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Can some please develop an alternative to usung AutoComplete in the Admin for OpenCart 1.5.2? AutoComplete is used in the Admin when selecting Related Products. Maybe something similar to how OpenCart 1.4.9.6 worked. Drop Down Box for selecting a Product Category and then 2 Listboxes for adding and removing Related Products.

My challenge is that my OpenCart Install can have multiple Products that have the same Product Name. My Products are uniquely identified by Product SKU, not Product Name. So the current way OpenCart 1.5.2 works with having an Admin use AutoComplete to select Products does not work for my install. I can type a Product Name, but which of the 4 Products with the same Product Name should I select.

Any suggestions for Replacing AutoComplete or displaying Product SKU in addition to Product Name so that I can uniquely select a Related Product?

Post by straightlight » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:56 pm

This alternative approach may help you: http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=48165

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Brook » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:48 pm

Thank you for your reply. I will try your solution out. Really looking for a solution to replace the Autocomplete Feature. I have too many Products that have the same Product Name. I really need to be able to filter my Products by Product Category. I should not have to remember the names of my Products in order to select Related Products. OpenCart 1.4.9.6 worked great!

Does anyone have a solution for adding Related Products similar to how OpenCart 1.4.9.6 worked? Filtering by Product Category and then selecting from 2 Listboxes to add or remove a Related Product. I am just not a fan of the Autocomplete feature since my Products are uniquely idenitfied by Product SKU, not Product Name.

OpenCart 1.4.9.6 was perfect.
1) Filter Products by Product Category
2) Display Products in Listbox 1 and Listbox 2 showing Product Name and Product SKU
3) Allowing users to add or remove Related Products by clicking a < or > button

Post by straightlight » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:53 pm

My alternative solution is quite what you're referring to. Since each product models and product sku are unique as well as their quantity, there are no possible cases to reproduce nor the need to remember the names of your products since each identities are being displayed as a unique output for each selections from the auto-complete which is why product models and product sku exists and forced to be considered as legalize products for most governments so that merchants would need to list all unique products from stocks.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Brook » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:21 am

I completely understand that your solution will work if I wanted to have to remember a Product Name and continue to use AutoComplete to select Related Products.

I guess I find the OpenCart 1.4.9.6 Related Products Solution more user friendly be that I never had to remember the name of a Product and could instead filter Related Products by Category and then choose which Related Products that I would like to add or remove. Featured Products now uses Autocomplete too, much easier in OpenCart 1.4.9.6

I understand that everyone uses OpenCart differently. Persobally I think that asking an Admin to remember the name of their Products in order to use Autocomplete is a bit much. Some of us have thousands of Products in our database.

Post by straightlight » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:26 am

Well, thousands of products considerably on the model, sku and unique quantity point of view is still considered a unique product and not thousands in the end. ;)

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Brook » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:18 am

I guess what I am missing from OpenCart 1.4.9.6 is the ability to filter Related Product choices by Product Category. This feature was very nice and easy to use.

Filter by Product Category, Display Products using Product Name and Product SKU or Product Name and Product Model, that way you do not have to remember every Product Name using Autocomplete. You filter your Products by Product Category and then select your Related Products. I can't be the only one who misses this feature. Someone is bound to come up with a Filter by Product Category Solution for selecting Related Products? I have faith.

Post by straightlight » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:23 am

Display Products using Product Name and Product SKU or Product Name and Product Model
The part where it fails for you to see that my modifications from the pointed URL dilutes me since this is exactly what it does ... it displays the product name and the product SKU with the product model - all together as nothing to remember since each legalized products under a product model or product SKU are unique anyhow ...

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Brook » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:07 am

Sincerely I think that you have missed my point. I completely understand that your solution adds Product SKU next to the Product Name. That is definitely a big help.

I guess what I trying to say is that I should not have to remember the name of a Product to select Related Products. Autocomplete assumes that you already know the name of the Related Product that you are looking for. Sometimes I might only know the Product Category. That is why filtering Related Products by Category first was much more user friendly. See how OpenCart 1.4.9.6 worked regarding selecting Related Products. This solution is really what I am looking for.

Even Product Options use Autocomplete. It is very possible that I do not remember the Product Option Name when selecting a Product Option for a Product. It is also very possible that I might have 2 Product Options with the same name "Color", not first choice, but very possible since each of my "Color" Option Names might have 500+ Option Values.

There has to be a better alternative solution for selecting Related Products than using Autocomplete.

Post by straightlight » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:18 am

Even Product Options use Autocomplete. It is very possible that I do not remember the Product Option Name when selecting a Product Option for a Product. It is also very possible that I might have 2 Product Options with the same name "Color", not first choice, but very possible since each of my "Color" Option Names might have 500+ Option Values.
While I understand your point regarding the product options since my modifications are only about the related products and not related to the options, the related products does not have to be necessarily and specifically typed by product name. It can also be typed by product model and product SKU. Some will say: 'What if I don't remember the product model or the product SKU' ? All merchants usually notes what they receive from stock and even in the real world. Each stores has a stock list from what they receive. It is simply a matter of work organization; being able to handle the products that has been delivered from manufacturer. If a merchant doesn't remember the product SKU or product model, it can be found on the bill which is the most easiest place where to find it.

However, I do agree that IF someone does not remember the time period when exactly a specific stock was purchased, this is even more problematic than not being able to remember specific products either by it's name, model or SKU which I hope myself to see on OpenCart to track all available stock levels by date period - the same way the reports are mostly handled right now which I believe is more important.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by straightlight » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:15 am

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Nichol140 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:56 am

ImageWell, thousands of products considerably on the model.