Post by user65 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:44 am

Hello,

I am trying to setup multi-store so that I have danthegrowman.com and discountdutchmaster.com point to two different stores.

I have setup the different stores under the admin and have pointed both domains to the same directory.

Here's what i've done so far:

Setup opencart as a new install - 1.5.1.3
setup products/store a little
added new store - added domain details, etc.
pointed discountdutchmaster.com to the same directory as the main store (danthegrowman.com is the main store)

Any help is appreciated, i've tried to set it up as close to the instructions i've found but still have no luck. both domains point to danthegrowman.com

Thanks in advance,

Post by JAY6390 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:27 pm

Best guesses...
check the domain in your settings is correct, also check your domains are set up correctly in cpanel. My guess is the first isn't set up right

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by user65 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:58 am

What domain settings do I need to make sure are correct?

I've pointed both domains to the same location. Both domains link to the same store - danthegrowman.com

The first store was/is working fine. When adding the second store, nothing happens but a replication of danthegrowman.com

Post by JAY6390 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:16 am

What I'm saying is have you double checked that the second store in the settings is set correctly? ie there's no typos in the domain name?

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by user65 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:10 am

Yes, I double and triple checked all settings in the additional store.

I read somewhere that I have to have all of the domains hosted where the store is hosted, is this true or do I just have to point the name servers from the domains over to my webhost?

Post by user65 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:01 am

I've now tested this with another install, it does the same thing.

I'm using bluehost.

They recommended I "park" the domain and it will point to the root directory (main store) but this still doesn't work.

I'm stumped, i'd really like the multi store to work, is it my host - bluehost?

thanks in advance

Post by mstng67 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:21 pm

With bluehost/hostmonster you do need to park the second domain for it to point to the root directory. I'll look tomorrow to see what other settings you need to make it work.

Post by mstng67 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:23 am

With Bluehost/Hostmonster you park the second domain and let it create a sub-directory for that domain. Then select redirects from the domain section of your cPanel. create a new redirect by selecting the following options:

Type: Permanent (301)
http://(www.)?: YourMainDomain.com / TheParkedDomainDirectory
redirects to→: http://YourMainDomain.com/
Wild Card Redirect: Check the Box

Select the add button, and you are done!

HTTPS (if you need it) for the second site is yet another issue to deal with.

Post by user65 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:25 am

Thanks very much mstng67.

We've decided to move over to a dedicated host that will allow multiple SSL's without complication. I am doing something wrong because yet again, my multi-store setup is not working.

EDIT: I was missing the trailing "/" at the end of the domain in the settings.
Last edited by user65 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by user65 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:21 am

I went back to bluehost and tried your instructions and I'm still unable to get them to work.

Here are the issues I ran into:

When parking the domain - it does not create a folder, it points it to the root directory. store2 points to store 1.

When adding on the domain - it creates a folder like you suggested, I add the redirect as you have instructed, but it does not redirect. it continues to go to the /subdirectory of the addon.

Post by mstng67 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:43 am

You don't want the parked domain to create a folder, you want it to point to the root directory. This is a step towards getting it to work properly. Try it without the redirect to begin with, as I may have added that to get the SSL working.

Do you have the trailing / added to your second store? in the OpenCart settings panel? The trailing /is crucial ie:
http://www.discountdutchmaster.com/

Post by user65 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:18 am

parked and removed redirect - works fine. I believe it was the trailing /... :-[

Now to figure it out on the rackspace side. I'll try to duplicate the settings I see from cpanel over to webmin. I'll post directions if I'm able to figure it out on the cloud server.

Post by mstng67 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:35 am

Good Luck!

Post by user65 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:37 am

Rackspace Cloudserver Multi Store setup:

You should have the server setup, secured, and have webmin installed and accessible before starting the below.

First install the default store you will be using opencart with.
Go into settings and add the second store, insert all details. Don't forget to add the trailing "/" at the end of every domain.

Cloudserver DNS settings:
setup the default store domain with the following dns records:
a record:
Name: domain.com
Content: IP address

cname:
Name: www
Content: domain.com

Webmin settings:
Under apache server, setup 2 additional virtual servers:
domain1.com - pointing to /var/www/html or whichever root your store is located.
domain2.com - pointing to the same as above - /var/www/html or whichever root your store is lcoated.

Hope this helps a fellow googler