Post by Brook » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:38 pm

Can someone please explain what GZIP Output Compression Level is and how it affects OpenCart. I see that you can set the GZIP Output Compression Level in the Admin->System-Settings->Server Tab. I guess you can set to a value between 0 and 9. What does 0 mean, what does 9 mean? How can I tell what the best setting should be for my website?

Thank you for your help.
Brook

Post by Johnathan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:10 am

0 means no compression, and 9 is the maximum compression. Generally it's a good idea to set a value for it, to help speed up your page loading time. You can test out the loading speed of your pages after selecting different values here:

http://www.gidnetwork.com/tools/gzip-test.php

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by qahar » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 am

If i'm not mistake, Q suggest to use 1-4 for the compression level.

Expert Member

Location - Indonesia

Post by Brook » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:30 am

Thank you for your reply. Why would I set my GZIP Compression Level to 4 vs. setting it to 9? Can you help me understand why I should set my Compression Level to 4?

I have seen that some people set their Compression Level to 4, some people set their Compression Level to 6, some people set their Compression Level to 9. What are the technical pluses and minuses of setting the Compression Level to different values? Ex. 4 vs. 9 Just trying to understand this a little better.

Thank you for your help.

Post by victorj » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:51 am

level 0 means no compression resulting in sending more bytes over the net resulting in longer pageloads.
the higer the compression level the less bytes are sent.
but compression means using processor time on the server so a high number of compression means high server loads resulting in the page sent later.
now you have to test and measure witch setting is the fastest for your server and that is the optimum setting

Koeltechnische deurrubbers eenvoudig online op maat bestellen.
Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.
https://koelcel-onderdelen.com

Expert Member

Location - Alkmaar Holland

Post by adi_555 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:41 am

If Gzip is already active on the dedicated server, does setting Gzip compression level on OC admin help?

Post by victorj » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:34 am

if it is active it just sits there waiting to get aktivated (gzip extension is installed).
there are a lot of php extensions aktive on your server but they only do something if they are called to do their aktion.

a little bit the same as you have microsoft office installed on your computer but you must use it if you dont use it it is not fuctioning

Koeltechnische deurrubbers eenvoudig online op maat bestellen.
Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.
https://koelcel-onderdelen.com

Expert Member

Location - Alkmaar Holland

Post by magzen » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:05 pm

Thanks great info

Post by Andaho » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:17 pm

I just discovered this setting, and found this very good thread to understand what it does, however...

I enabled it at 4, and tested my site at webpagetest.org and it now has this: http://gyazo.com/237df43c9728f0c54eb447d63102d19a

Why is only the root of my site showing gzip compression, but all the css and js files are not?