Post by Eveline » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:28 am

Arguing is completely pointless here.... Nothing will never change for the better if your viewpoint is you are right and the people that download it and use it are privilegd and should worship OC into heaven.

You will never understand that the users make the product. And that if you and the Admins cus and shout at us (As seen in many many topics over the years) and treat us like 'you should be happy cuz it's free' one day there is noone using this software anymore. You should be HAPPY people are WILLING to use this free software. Because i have no doubt you also make a lot of money making Add-ons, custom work and templates. OS isn't as free as you make it out to be. To make it work you have no option as to buy add-ons etc The customers make it a success using it. If noone would be using it this site wouldn't even exist anymore!

And you know, all it takes is a little thought before you set *customer* expectations. If a customer asks when something is done either say you don't know or set a realistic date. They when you cannot make that date inform people of the new date. It's not really that hard you know.
Not like now where you keep saying 'tomorrow' and then suddenly 2 months. SEVERAL messages of customers informing if there is a release date have been deleted. Seriously why didn't you awnser them but rudely just removed their post? This is simply no way of treating people

Post by i2Paq » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:41 am

We have no customers, we have users as OpenCart is free (get it?)

If no-one makes add-ons for free but only commercial ones that is not up to us. Did you complain to them as well and what did they say?
Did you tell them that everyone would leave because they make no free add-ons?

I make no money from OpenCart, all I do here on these forums I do for FREE.
Did I mention that all the installations I do for user here on these forums I do for FREE?
I have no financial gain nor financial relation with OC, Q or Daniel.

I'm also waiting for over a year now for all the options I need, and 1.5.2 is what I need. I'm also holding back a new store just because of that.
I could nag and complain like you but that is not changing anything and I'll be a grumpy old man bitching to my customers (yes I have an OC webshop to).

I'm not leaving, I'm waiting because it will be worth it.
Like 1.4.9.6 was worth waiting for (btw. my store is running 1.4.9.3 + lots of FREE and commercial modifications, modules etc.).
Like 1.5.1.x was worth waiting for (not for me, but for others).
Like 1.5.2 is worth waiting for (and from what I have seen now it is for me).

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Eveline » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:35 am

I give up. You refuse to see any standpoint but your own. I hope you 2 are very happy together

Post by i2Paq » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:34 am

Eveline wrote:I give up. You refuse to see any standpoint but your own. I hope you 2 are very happy together
Thank you for agreeing with me.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by arch72 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:01 am

best wishes from me as well

really could do with an update soon.

yes i know it is free, love it 1.5.3.1 1.5.2 looks the business. waited over a year for this one day, nearly there i guess ... ( i can just see the next 3 months....:)

please, pretty please an updated version soon ..thanks

Post by upacreek » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:56 am

I would be more then happy to pay for the new version when it is released. My decision to switch to the new 1.5.2 version of OpenCart had nothing to do with it being free. The new version that has been promised has a majority of the features I am looking for to upgrade my archiac & inadequate OSCommerce cart.

I think I speak for many people in what I type next, but what I find very frustrating is reading post after post such as the following:

Postby Daniel » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:08 am
i'm pretty sure i can get the order editor working this month.

Postby Daniel » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:06 pm
order edit is nearly done.

by Daniel » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:33 am
its nearly done now. i could probably finish it in a day but i like to make sure the direction i'm going in is the right one.

by Daniel » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:32 am
it still can be finished in a day. you only need to see the progress on the svn. i just need to make sure i'm doing things the right way.

Each time a post like the ones above have been made, I have believed them to be true. I have made business plans based on the statements. I have made adjustments to delay my web site plans based on the statements. I have happily told customers "The new web site will be updated soon and you will finally be able to place orders easily." I have then checked the OC Forum daily to look for the announcement that the new version has finally been released. Yet ..... nothing happens.

I have spent a lot of time researching shopping carts and thought I made the best decision by selecting the new release of OpenCart to be the solution to my business needs. I made that decision based on statements like the ones above because I believed them to be true. Quite honestly I am so very frustrated that I have lost over 9 months of waiting for the new version to be released "in a day." Like I said, I would be willing to pay for the new version of OpenCart, but at the rate this is going, I can no longer trust it will be ready in 2 months. I can no longer wait and delay my web site further. I am losing sales because of my archaic cart.

I am so very disappointed to read that once again the new release is going to be delayed. I know. OpenCart is free and thereby you get it when OpenCart is willing to release it.

All I am asking is to please stop dangling the carrot in front of us and then yanking it away. While it may not seem a big deal to delay the release yet again, this does make an impact on our lives. Like I said several times now, I would be willing to pay for the new 1.5.2 release of OpenCart... :(

Post by Eveline » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:42 pm

i2Paq wrote:
Eveline wrote:I give up. You refuse to see any standpoint but your own. I hope you 2 are very happy together
Thank you for agreeing with me.
Little child

@ upacreek Exactly my point! You worded it better then me. But you already got your anwser. You should be grateful its free and shut the &%&&* up....

Post by arch72 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:07 pm

thank you EVELINE and UPACREEK.

both of you have expressed my thoughts.....very frustrated, waited a year for this version of opencart 1.5.3.1 / 1.5.2 it certainly looks the business, can't wait to get my hands on it soon. i'm sure Daniel is taking his time because he wants to improve it and make it better, following the svn changes it looks very promising...

as frustrating as it is no point having a release with bugs in it...

i2paq - please let have others an opinion other than you line, you appear to be quite forceful in yours, i rarely post, beacause i know i will get knocked, been a member of this forum for nearly two years, have waited without moaning too much, understand that this is free....etc,etc

.... but hey folks the truth is that this cart is the business, fantastic coding, great modules, great developers, great community even a decent owner in Danial, we all have to thank him for this offering. Opencart is by far the best out there. simple. just needs a bit better structure/organisation with releases/bug fixes/promises/communications between owner/inhouse developers and the external user base such as users, module developers etc. perhaps then opencart will more awards.

new versions are great they improve opencart, a pain at the moment because the modules all need updating and this all impacts the users, has a knock on effect. i have waited a year before setting up my website still happy to wait....not too long though, some great modules out there, with some great ebay modules and apple app/android versions in the pipeline opencart is going to be force to be reckoned with.....it truly is...please daniel and others think of the potential for this thing if you get the rest of opencart structure right, you will have a winner, at the moment more frustated..

love the work, thank you daniel and team the current version looks the business, can't wait.....not too long please.

thanks

Post by chilledworld » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:04 pm

Every one has good points here.

Yes it is free, Yes we pay for alot of templates and add ons and if the add ons work and do the job then everyone is happy. The users have an affordable website, the template/add on developer has made some cash and OC has made some commission and no one can complain.

If you had to pay for Opencart then alot of people would go somewhere else like Prestashop where the core is free but alot of the add ons are expensive, (and you do need alot of add ons to bring it on par with OC), however the questions are answered proffessionally and politely on the forums and their team seem to care about their users which is why they are growing so quickly.

We have been in business for over 6 years and we are successful because we give good friendly customer service. We give our customers realistic timescales and we comunicate with the customer to keep them informed on progress.
If you are unfriendly, rude and unproffessional then customers/users will tell other people and eventually most will go elsewhere.

I totally agree with arch72 improvements could be made in structure and organisation.

So here it is the answer to hopefully end the arguments:
IF YOU WANT A FANTASTIC OPEN-SOURCE ECOMMERCE APPLICATION THEN YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE AS OPENCART IS THE BEST. IF YOU WANT A LESSON IN PUBLIC RELATIONS AND PEOPLE SKILLS THEN SPEAK TO THE DALI LAMA.

Post by jty » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:56 pm

chilledworld wrote:IF YOU WANT A FANTASTIC OPEN-SOURCE ECOMMERCE APPLICATION THEN YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE AS OPENCART IS THE BEST. IF YOU WANT A LESSON IN PUBLIC RELATIONS AND PEOPLE SKILLS THEN SPEAK TO THE DALI LAMA.
So we need to bring in the Dalai Lama and make him a moderator so Open Cart can be The Best
But why the Dalai Lama, why not invite Buddha himself

jty

Post by markman-b » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:04 pm

OC version 1.5.4.1

Post by Doug » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:45 pm

i2Paq wrote:
Eveline wrote:Unbelievable!
......................My shop would have been live by now! But you kept me hanging with 'nearly done', 'nearly done', 'nearly done' always making me postpone just that 1 more week!

Go on on this path and OpenCart will die a slow death soon. And you should realise that if noone is going to download the free OpenCart anymore, the developers with their addons and templates will not earn money and you will not get your share.

OpenCart is FREE, like you are FREE to use any other FREE program that suits your needs.
Hell, why not pay for a program that does what you want!

On a personal note: I'm always pissed of by replies like the one you just give.

AMEN!

Semi-Experienced* in Wordpress, Joomla and played with Prestashop...but very little. Learned enough of Prestashop to discover I didn't like the complexity of it.

Now learning Open Cart running version 1.5.1.3

*Been around the block with css, understand a bit of html and js, don't know a thing about php.

Sites and projects:

http://Pocketchalker.com
http://Doug.pl
http://nes.pila.pl

Location - Piła, Poland

Post by marcelwoo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:47 pm

Hey. I understand how frustared you feel when you have waited for such a long time. BUT those complaining just do not know much about programing. Do you think coding a cart is as easy as setting it up on your server and can be done with just a few clicks? Come on, some people always moan and whine afer they get something free. They say "This is not enough, I want more!!!!!"
I agree that better organisation with releases and bug fixes is needed. But didn't you guys see that the opencart team is working hard on it? THIS IS A COMPLETELY FREE CART SYSTEM. They do not have a BIG team. Only a couple of them. But these great coders have developed the greatest cart system I have ever seen! So please be gentle when you are uttering your suggestion. Do not say something like "I am pissed off", "I have had enough of it" or "I hate this f**king waiting".
How do you feel when you give away something valuable for free and are told "f*ck you, this is not good enough. I am pissed off". I would be pissed off I were Daniel,really.

"We help each other to grow". That's the opencart community!

All free mods
Home Based Ebay business Opportunity(not ads)

Post by i2Paq » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:14 am

When 1.5.2 is released these things will change:

1: The current SVN setup will be changed from unstable to stable. This means that BUG-fixes for 1.5.2 will be directly available from the 1.5.2 SVN so "updating" to a new version to get bug-fixes is history.
The SVN for your 1.5.2 version will stay 1.5.2 but with the needed bug-fixes.

This is a MAJOR leap forward especially for those who need bug-fixes or want their version to be as stable as can be but hate to update to a new version with new and other bugs.

2: Due to this change the way the SVN is set up the development for the next version (lets say 1.5.3) will have its own SVN and new features will not get in 1.5.2 nor will it interfere with 1.5.2.

The release cycle of new versions will probably stay the same but there will be less time for those who have bugs to get their fixes because as soon as a bug in your release is fixed it is there for you to download and to use in your store.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by marcelwoo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:09 am

i2Paq wrote:When 1.5.2 is released these things will change:

1: The current SVN setup will be changed from unstable to stable. This means that BUG-fixes for 1.5.2 will be directly available from the 1.5.2 SVN so "updating" to a new version to get bug-fixes is history.
The SVN for your 1.5.2 version will stay 1.5.2 but with the needed bug-fixes.

This is a MAJOR leap forward especially for those who need bug-fixes or want their version to be as stable as can be but hate to update to a new version with new and other bugs.

2: Due to this change the way the SVN is set up the development for the next version (lets say 1.5.3) will have its own SVN and new features will not get in 1.5.2 nor will it interfere with 1.5.2.

The release cycle of new versions will probably stay the same but there will be less time for those who have bugs to get their fixes because as soon as a bug in your release is fixed it is there for you to download and to use in your store.
awesome! I guess the majority of the angry guys are mad because they have to wait for such a long time for a fix for even a minor bug. It will make things better this way. As for the new version release, well, like what i put above, coding is not as easy as roasting beef. It is not like the material is out of the box and all you need to do is just to put it over fire and wait for a couple of minuts for it be eatable. Coding is about lots of logic, thinking and typing. This takes time. I hope those who see my post could be more reasonable.
Keep up the good job, opencart team :)

"We help each other to grow". That's the opencart community!

All free mods
Home Based Ebay business Opportunity(not ads)

Post by a shit of a time » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:44 pm

Okay guys I'm all confused. Understanding only two things so far. Lots of people are a bit p*ss*d off and there is a new release coming.

But I have two questions regarding this new release when it gets here.

Firstly reading i2paq
SVN - What is that? How does it work?
Secondly This bit about running 1.5.2 not affecting files for 1.5.3 (something like that) My question: I'm still running 1.5.1 does it mean I must update to 1.5.2 then get the 1.5.3 when it's ready and that I won't be able to go from 1.5.1 to 1.5.3 ???

I really would appreciate someone clarifying these for me.

Thank you

Post by i2Paq » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:27 pm

a shit of a time wrote:Okay guys I'm all confused. Understanding only two things so far. Lots of people are a bit p*ss*d off and there is a new release coming.

But I have two questions regarding this new release when it gets here.

Firstly reading i2paq
SVN - What is that? How does it work?
Secondly This bit about running 1.5.2 not affecting files for 1.5.3 (something like that) My question: I'm still running 1.5.1 does it mean I must update to 1.5.2 then get the 1.5.3 when it's ready and that I won't be able to go from 1.5.1 to 1.5.3 ???

I really would appreciate someone clarifying these for me.

Thank you
SVN.
The SVN can be accessed by using TortoiseSVN for Windows and RapidSVN for Mac's.
To connect to it use

Code: Select all

https://opencart.googlecode.com/svn/trunk
This will probably change when the way the SVN is setup is changed with the release of 1.5.2!!

If you are running 1.5.1 you should wait until 1.5.2 is released and stable, then upgrade.
If, lets say 1.5.3, is released you can then decide to upgrade to it, if 1.5.2 works for you then there is no need (because 1.5.2 will be stable).

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by Alexisander » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:51 pm

we dont have 1.5.2 and we talk about 1.5.3... lets wait for 1.5.2 first...
even though... the best thing OC could have is a layered navigation aka filter search (see emag.ro as exemple)... if one day Daniel will think to put this in OC... that will be the best thing for OC and will make him huge-top. :)

Thx for OC.

Post by Petrache Nicolae » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:36 am

Alexisander wrote:we dont have 1.5.2 and we talk about 1.5.3... lets wait for 1.5.2 first...
even though... the best thing OC could have is a layered navigation aka filter search (see emag.ro as exemple)... if one day Daniel will think to put this in OC... that will be the best thing for OC and will make him huge-top. :)

Thx for OC.
i am sorry to break your hopes. we will not see this soon, considering the fact that daniel is working from rev 701 on the order editor (http://code.google.com/p/opencart/source/detail?r=701) and now is rev 806 and the order editor is not complete yet. when i have first sean product atributes i instantly belived we will have layered navigation but unfortunaly daniel had something else in mind.
for the new releases i have the same opinion as eveline and others. is best not to give any time frames if you can not respect them becouse of various reasons. we did make plans after those timelines wich have fallen one after the other in the end. we apreciate the hard work that daniel and q do (for money in the end) and others like i2paq do for free but please consider our opinion. thank you

Post by Alexisander » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:26 pm

Any news guys? I can't sleep :D