Post by fido-x » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:35 pm

After several attempts at a rebuild of my multi-vendor Store Manager module, each attempt being frustrated by changes in the core (1.5.0 - 1.5.1 - 1.5.1.3) which kept breaking things, I've finally been able to get somewhere.

Currently on preview at http://dev151.fido-x.net, is a ground-up rebuild of my Store Manager module for multi-vendor support. You can login with username/password pair of "demo/demo" to view the Store Manager module (you'll find an entry under the "System" menu). To see the "user's" view, you can login with "larry/password".

Progress so far, includes: restrictions on products, categories, downloads, information, reviews and stores. Stores and users can be created through the normal method and then linked together through the Store Manager, or they can be created together (or individually) through the Store Manager.

When creating a store through the Store Manager, you can create the associated user (manager) or select from a list of members of the Store Managers user group, allowing users (managers) to own (or manage) multiple stores. The previous version only allowed a single store per user. Users can edit their store settings under "System->Settings", where only their stores will show. But, they can't delete the store (only the top-level admin can do that).

When creating a user (or editing a user) through the Store Manager, you may also allocate any products from your existing list to that user.

When a store is created through the Store Manager, an associated category is created on the main store. This category is "owned" by the user and can be edited (but not deleted) by that user. This "store category" can only be deleted by deleting the store through the Store Manager. The first level of sub-category below this "store category" can be allocated to the "Top" position and will appear in the menu bar on the user's store.

If you login with user "larry", you can also access the modules (Extensions->Modules). You will notice that each module now has a store selection drop-down to select the store for the module.

There's still a lot of work to do (and I do mean a LOT). I've already spent several sleepless nights working on this and will probably spend quite a few more. Once I get my teeth into something, I can't seem to let go (typical dog).

I'll be updating the preview from time to time as I get things done.

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by rph » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:15 pm

Awesome work Fido! This is definitely one of those 1% features that has a better place as a commercial mod than a core feature. Glad to see there's a developer crazy enough to tackle it. ;D

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by fido-x » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:26 am

rph wrote:Awesome work Fido!
Thanks, Ryan.
Glad to see there's a developer crazy enough to tackle it. ;D
It helps! :crazy: :bang: ;D

Progress Report
User restrictions are now working on:
  • Categories
    Products
    Attributes
    Attribute Groups
    Options
    Manufacturers
    Downloads
    Reviews
    Information
The following sales information under the "Sales" entry in the menu is also tailored/restricted to the logged in user:
  • Orders
    Returns
    Customers
    Customer Groups
    Affiliates
    Coupons
    Gift Vouchers
    Voucher Themes
And, under "System", users are restricted to the following:
  • Settings
    Banners
Of course, there's also the dashboard page, which has been tailored to display the overview, charting and orders based on the logged in user.

I've made a couple of sample orders, one through the main store and one through "larry's" store. Log in to the admin at the demo (http://dev151.fido-x.net/) with "demo/demo" and you will see both sample orders. Log in with "larry/password", and you'll only see the order made through his store.

If you browse through the attributes, attribute groups, options, gift vouchers, voucher themes and banners while logged in as "larry", you will notice that there aren't any. However, when logged as "demo", you will see that all the original ones are all still there. Users can create their own attributes, attribute groups, options, etc., the same as they can with products and categories, etc.

Well, now I've got the "easy" stuff done, I can move on to the hard bit. :laugh: :crazy: ;D

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member

Post by fido-x » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:41 am

Progress Report

I've decided to change direction slightly. I'm taking into account the idea of "wholesale to retail", where the main site can act as a wholesaler selling their products through several retail sites.

So, when a user is created through the user management component of the Store Manager module, they are not only created as members of the designated store manager user group for administration purposes, they are also created as wholesale customers on the main site. Users (or store managers) can then purchase their products as wholesale customers from the main store and on-sell them through their own stores at a price they choose.

This can also be set up so that, when stock levels of a product get below a certain point, an order for more can be automatically generated and sent to the main store.

Modules
fido-x wrote:You will notice that each module now has a store selection drop-down to select the store for the module.
I've thrown this idea out the window as unworkable, and chosen a different (more logical) direction. Modules are added to layouts, layouts are attached to stores. This is how OpenCart already works, so it seems logical to use the same process.

So, when you create a store through the store manager, besides creating a category for that store on the main site, a set of layouts is also created (based on the defaults for the main site) for use with that store. When adding modules, users will only see the layouts that relate to their stores, so they can only add modules to those layouts.

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member

Post by fido-x » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:54 pm

Further Progress Report
This isn't far off being finished. All that's left are shipping methods and payment gateways. Everything else is done, except the automatic ordering of out of stock (or low stock) products for the sub-store from the main store. This part is still only an idea that is yet to be implemented, and will be not be a requirement, just an option.

When the store manager is enabled or user restrictions are applied, the logged in user (member of store manager user group) is presented with a view that is tailored for them. They can only view their own products, categories, downloads, informations, attributes, attribute groups, options, sales information, reports, customers, customer groups, stores, layouts and banners. In addition they can only add modules to their own layouts.

The preview can be viewed at: The first thing you will notice when viewing these sites, is that they have different welcome messages, and that the sub-store is not displaying the slideshow module. You will also notice a different set of featured products and manufacturers in the carousel.

Admin login username/password pairs:
  • Top level: demo/demo
    User: larry/password
Logging in to the admin as "demo" you will see the normal view of the administration. Logging in with "larry" will give you a "tailored" view

The preview has been built on a bog-standard OpenCart 1.5.1.3.1 with no modifications other than the installation of vQmod.

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member

Post by grivates » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:57 am

Hi fido,

Nice job you have done... I have been waiting for this module quite a long time ago...

From your idea to change the direction into "wholesale to retail", I would like to have a slightly different idea which is "supplier to dropship agent" where the main store is the supplier and provide all the products, then sub-store will be the agents to sell all the products by retail or wholesale. In this case, agents will help the supplier sell the products and all packaging and shipping will be done by the supplier and they ship the order directly to the end customer. I think this would be better since all the low stock will be alert directly by the supplier and they will provide more stock automatically. Then agents would not need to order new stock since all the stock are hold by the supplier only and agents can focus their job on doing the marketing.

In this case, there must be a new module to calculate the commission for each products to be given to those agents that successfully doing sales. There also module that manage the membership of the agents since the agents will be rent the sub-store either monthly or annually to earn money by doing sales from their sub-store.

In commission and payment cash flow, I suggest that the supplier can set the discount in terms of percentage or fix amount for each product to be given to agents, which later it will be known as agents price. When there is order from end customer, the customer will be paid the order to the agents, after that agents will be paid the order to the supplier at their agents' price, then the supplier will process and ship the order. In this flow, the agents will get their commission directly. Any report we received from end customer, let say if there is cheating agents, we can suspend the account or sub-store of that problem agents after some investigation.

This is my idea although it maybe look some complicated. I have more advance idea regarding this project but I hope it will become my personal project which will not be sells openly and I have pm you my advance idea where the agents can also be the supplier of their own products... this will create more hot platforms for supplier and agents to cooperate each other in doing online business... don't forget to review my pm if you have time... contact me back when you free..

Thank you.

Post by fido-x » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:29 am

grivates wrote:From your idea to change the direction into "wholesale to retail", I would like to have a slightly different idea which is "supplier to dropship agent" where the main store is the supplier and provide all the products, then sub-store will be the agents to sell all the products by retail or wholesale ...
Not so much a "change of direction", but the inclusion of an idea. It doesn't have to be used this way, it is merely an option. Each store can operate independently. If the user (store owner/manager) wants to sell products to wholesale customers, they merely create their own wholesale customer group (already implemented).

"Wholesale to retail" or "supplier to dropship agent", what's the difference? They are just different terms for the same concept. You refer to "agents", I refer to "users" or "store managers". Basically, they are the same thing. Your "agents" are your "users" or "store managers".

When a user is created through the store manager, he/she is added as a member of the Store Managers user group and also added as a wholesale customer on the front-end. The Store Managers admin user group is created when you install the module. The top admin can enable or disable user's accounts (standard in OpenCart). If a user is deleted through the store manager, they will be "unlinked" from all products, categories, etc. (these revert back to the ownership of the top-level admin), and they are changed from wholesale customers to default customers on the front-end.
there must be a new module to calculate the commission for each products to be given to those agents that successfully doing sales. There also module that manage the membership of the agents since the agents will be rent the sub-store either monthly or annually to earn money by doing sales from their sub-store.
In relation to commissions, the top-level admin will be added as an affiliate to each sub-store and will be able to collect commissions on sales by that method (not yet implemented).

Yes, I looked through the PM you sent. It made me think that you know absolutely nothing about the way OpenCart works.

The first 17 points you raised regarding the "Super Admin" (that is, admin user created when you install OpenCart) are redundant, as this user already has control over EVERYTHING! As for the other points you raised, virtually of them are already covered in this module.

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member

Post by grivates » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:18 pm

fido-x wrote:Not so much a "change of direction", but the inclusion of an idea. It doesn't have to be used this way, it is merely an option. Each store can operate independently. If the user (store owner/manager) wants to sell products to wholesale customers, they merely create their own wholesale customer group (already implemented).
Actually I just try the demo of your previous Store Manager and cannot try the preview of new Multi-vendor in admin demo site since the user/password demo/demo can't login to the demo site. So, I'm not sure how your new version works also didn't get the whole idea about the previous version since I had sent several request on release certain permission on demo site for me to try certain things but got no response on that. So, it might be not totally the "change of direction" but a different point of view or different business model.

But what I want to highlight here, the function of admin can add the products, while the store manager selling them (the same product) on their on store (sub-store). When get an order, customer will make payment to store manager with retail price. Then the store manager will forward the payment with agent price to the admin. After received the payment, the admin will packing and ship the order to the end customer. If your store manager and multi-vendor extension already have this function then I'll will be waiting for this new multi-vendor extension to release before I can buy. This just the basic function.

Another functions are if 1 user/store manager add their own product into the system, can other user/store manager sell their products at different sub-store? Let say user A create a product 1 in their store AA, while user B create product 2 in their store BB. Can user A sell product 2 (owned by user B) at their own store AA and vice versa? and each product owner can set the commission to be given to other store owner that make sales on their products while admin can set the commission on each product sales which product owned by any user/store manager. I'm sorry if my english is bad in explaining the situation.

So, in the whole system, admin will be the main supplier and manager to the whole system (yes, it absolutely does although in the basic OC - but just want to explain the whole concept), while user/store manager will be the sub-supplier and sales agent to all the product in the system. Can the multi-vendor allow this function to work? If can, I am happy to hear. If no I want to request a special customization on this extesion if possible.
fido-x wrote:"Wholesale to retail" or "supplier to dropship agent", what's the difference? They are just different terms for the same concept. You refer to "agents", I refer to "users" or "store managers". Basically, they are the same thing. Your "agents" are your "users" or "store managers".
There maybe slightly different between them in my opinion. The term "Wholesale to retail" and "supplier to dropship agent" is different in the matter of quantity of purchase in one time or one bill. Generally, to get wholesale price, customer need to buy in a bulk of qty. But when customer buy only 1 unit, generally they only get at retail price. But for dropship agent, they basically already get cheaper price and sometime almost the same as wholesale price although they only purchase 1 unit. Drophip agent doesn't need to do any packaging and shipping but only find customer to buy the product from their own store. When get the order they just forward the order and the payment to the admin and admin will process the order by packing and shipping the order. Maybe the way their forward the order is the same as a dealer make a purchase order to the supplier but has no restriction on qty of purchase in one time to get the wholesale price. If the system already got all the function then it will be good for me. So, maybe in terms of your system in means the same since admin can set the qty of wholesale purchased or something like that.
fido-x wrote:When a user is created through the store manager, he/she is added as a member of the Store Managers user group and also added as a wholesale customer on the front-end. The Store Managers admin user group is created when you install the module. The top admin can enable or disable user's accounts (standard in OpenCart). If a user is deleted through the store manager, they will be "unlinked" from all products, categories, etc. (these revert back to the ownership of the top-level admin), and they are changed from wholesale customers to default customers on the front-end.
Your explanation above give me more idea about the function in you multi-vendor extension that you are working for right now. But just want to ask a few things, if we disable the user's account, can the user's store can still be access by visitors? also the same question when we delete the user's account.... also, when user account is deleted, is it his/her store will be gone as well? if that possible, when we disable the user's account, his/her store will be redirected to the default store but still using the user's sub-domain or domain?
fido-x wrote:
there must be a new module to calculate the commission for each products to be given to those agents that successfully doing sales. There also module that manage the membership of the agents since the agents will be rent the sub-store either monthly or annually to earn money by doing sales from their sub-store.
In relation to commissions, the top-level admin will be added as an affiliate to each sub-store and will be able to collect commissions on sales by that method (not yet implemented).
So, can we just used the affiliate function and link them together with the user/store manager? and used them to calculate the percentage of agents price, admin commission and product's owner commission?
fido-x wrote:Yes, I looked through the PM you sent. It made me think that you know absolutely nothing about the way OpenCart works.

The first 17 points you raised regarding the "Super Admin" (that is, admin user created when you install OpenCart) are redundant, as this user already has control over EVERYTHING! As for the other points you raised, virtually of them are already covered in this module.
In directly, actually I want to make sure either this extension are able to do functions that I want to apply in my business. So, I actually draft my idea here and didn't compare it with OC function although I know some of the function needed already have in basic OC. It is just all about my idea and hopefully by telling all about it can give you the whole idea about the concept of my business that I want to create and how to suite it with basic opencart and your multi-vendor extension. Because, I'm worried if I didn't tell the whole idea, instead only just part of them, I'm worried you might get different picture. Again sorry if my english so bad to make a clear explanation.

Post by fido-x » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:19 am

Further Progress Report
Although I had the modules working on a store-by-store basis, I wasn't happy with the way I'd done it. I was merely "hiding" any pre-existing settings for each module. Then, it occurred to me, these are "settings". Settings are stored in the "settings" table in the database. The settings table has a "store_id" field. The "store_id" field is ONLY being used for basic store setup under "System->Settings" in the admin.

I thought "what if I could pass the store_id through with the module settings". The "editSetting()" function in the model already includes provision for passing the store_id through, so why not make use of it?

It occurred to me, that shipping methods, payment gateways, order totals and product feeds (everything under the "Extensions" menu in the admin) have their "settings" stored in the settings table. I thought, if I could apply the same principle of passing the store_id through, then these, also, could be modified on a store-by-store basis.

So, I pursued this idea and, guess what? IT WORKS!

What does this mean? It means FULL multi-store.

Each store can use different shipping methods, or use the same shipping methods at different rates. Each store can use different payment gateways, or use the same gateway with a different address (eg., each store can have it's OWN PayPal integration). Order totals can be setup differently per store, as can product feeds.

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member

Post by grivates » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:28 am

Good job & awesome work bro!...good to hear that...

Post by PyroTech03 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:19 pm

On my mission for a multi-vendor, I am likely going to be using multi-cart as I have found 3 extensions that do this (one being yours).

My main question at the moment, is when will this mod be avalible?? I know it's just a preview at the moment, but anything along a timeline?

And anything about a price point??

Post by fido-x » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:29 pm

PyroTech03 wrote:On my mission for a multi-vendor, I am likely going to be using multi-cart as I have found 3 extensions that do this (one being yours).

My main question at the moment, is when will this mod be avalible?? I know it's just a preview at the moment, but anything along a timeline?

And anything about a price point??
Should have something available for Christmas. Just have one minor issue to fix up and the documentation to write.

The minor issue: in my zeal to get a fully working multi-vendor/multi-store environment for OpenCart, I overlooked the issue of multi-vendor/single-store. :bang:

As to price, you'll be looking at around $200 - $250.

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member

Post by PyroTech03 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Ok, that puts it out of price range.

Using for an in-game store.....don't wanna spend that much.

Looks great though.

Post by fido-x » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:15 pm

Another Progress Report

Multi-vendor/single store: Done with limitations.
  • In this scenario, the user does not "own" the store. Currently, user restrictions on the display of orders, customers, sales, etc. is based on the store_id stored in the order and customer tables and will only display if the logged in user is a "store owner". Subsequenlty, users will not see any of this information. I'll change this, so that orders, sales and customer figures are based on products sold rather than orders placed. But, this will just be for multi-vendor/single store. In a multi-store environment, users will see orders, sales and customer figures for all stores they own.
Enable/Disable User:
  • I've included a facility to enable or disable a user without having to edit the user's profile. When a user is disabled, their category on the main store will be disabled. If they also "own" a sub-store, the store's category on the main site will be disabled and their store(s) will be put into maintenance mode. When enabled, their category will be re-enabled and their store(s) will be taken out of maintenance mode.
And yes, it is possible for users to "own" multiple stores.

Other than fixing the abovementioned limitations, the only things left are an option for automatic re-ordering of products for a "wholesale-to-retail" setup (I may leave this for an update) and writing the documentation.

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member

Post by grivates » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi,

I just have several questions:

Multi-vendor/single store: So user which is a vendor can only manage their products right? Is it possible for them to create the product category as well or only admin can do that?

Enable/Disable User: Thank you for creating this mode. Can admin customized the "maintenance mode" page?

Thank you.

Post by fido-x » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:44 pm

grivates wrote:Multi-vendor/single store: So user which is a vendor can only manage their products right? Is it possible for them to create the product category as well or only admin can do that?
When a user is created, a category is created for them under the designated parent category. Any products allocated to that user during the creation process will be automatically linked to this category. Users can edit this category, but not delete it. They can create their own sub-categories under this category and manage all categories they create, as well as products, informations, downloads, etc. Basically, everything that a store owner manages, with the exceptions of stores (obviously), modules, shipping and payment methods, order totals and product feeds.

When creating a store through the store manager, you are required to give that store a manager. You select the manager from the list of users who are members of the designated Store Managers user group. When a user is given a store to manage, their user category will be disabled and a store category will be created for them to manage.
Enable/Disable User: Thank you for creating this mode. Can admin customized the "maintenance mode" page?
Uses the same maintenance page as the main store, but with the sub-store's logo, etc.

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member

Post by fido-x » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:32 pm

It was my intention to have this available by Christmas. Unfortunately, this was not possible. However, it should be ready for the new year.

I've been fixing up the "limitations" mentioned previously in the multi-vendor/single-store setup. I've also been doing a bit of work on improving the validation and approval process in the administration.

Currently working on an application form for the front-end.

Once that's done, I'll only have the documentation to write.

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member

Post by newbie.my » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:41 pm

Any news on this project?

I am eager to know.

Post by fido-x » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:26 pm

newbie.my wrote:Any news on this project?

I am eager to know.
Ah, the impatience of youth. ;D

OK, since the last report, I've fixed up the account and checkout terms for sub-stores (I'd forgotten about those), so that the information pages listed are those that belong to the store owner, and I've added vendor terms in the main store settings for applicants to "agree" to when applying for a vendor account from the front-end. I've set it up so that the vendor application form is only accessible from the main store (there's a link in the footer under "Extras", below the "Affiliates" link). This link doesn't display on sub-stores (your vendors can't have "sub-vendors"), although I may put a link there that redirects to the application form on the main store.

I've also added a "profile editor" for users so that they can edit their profile (username, first name, last name, email and password) in the admin. The "profile editor" takes the user directly to a modified user form (user group and status are removed). The only issue with this is, after saving, clicking the "Cancel" button, or going to "Users" in the breadcrumb, the user (vendor) is returned to the user list page which lists all users -- the "Edit" link is still visible, although the "Insert" and "Delete" buttons (as well as the checkboxes) are not there. Not a major issue, as the user (vendor) can only edit their own profile. Trying to edit someone else's will result in a redirection to the dashboard page. The same applies if they try to change the user_id GET value in the address line.

The only thing left that I can think of at the moment is an email to inform a user (vendor) if their account has been disabled or "suspended" for some reason -- plus the documentation (of course).

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member

Post by newbie.my » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:42 am

wow..great work fido-x,
i am willing your to buy this mod when it is available.
Just let me know when you have finish it. =)