Post by Brook » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:15 pm

I just upgraded from OpenCart 1.4.9.6 to OpenCart 1.5.1.1. I installed a fresh copy of OpenCart 1.5.1.1

In the OpenCart 1.5.1 Admin,
Admin->Catalog->Products->Data Tab
I cannot seem to find "Product Cost", am I missing something? I see Product Price, but where is Product Cost? Product Cost existed in OpenCart 1.4.9.6, was Product Cost taken out in OpenCart 1.5.1 ?

Thank you.
Last edited by i2Paq on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split, renamed and moved

Post by tilesupply » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:16 am

Hi Brook

The cost field has been removed from 1.5.1.
But I have made a mod that will allow you to have the cost field back.

I have sent you a pm.

Kind Regards
Brook wrote:I just upgraded from OpenCart 1.4.9.6 to OpenCart 1.5.1.1. I installed a fresh copy of OpenCart 1.5.1.1

I cannot seem to find "Product Cost", am I missing something? I see Product Price, but where is Product Cost? Product Cost existed in OpenCart 1.4.9.6, was Product Cost taken out in OpenCart 1.5.1 ?

Thank you.

Post by Brook » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:29 am

Sincerely this makes no sense to me why the Product Cost field would be removed in OpenCart 1.5.1 Maybe I do not completely understand the reasoning, but you would think that the Product Cost field might be helpful on Reports specifically helping determine Sales Profit among many other useful reports.

Post by Qphoria » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:32 am

I added cost initially for reporting. It was never really used for that.. but people used it for their own purposes
Daniel was rethinking the way pricing could be and thought that the cost field wasn't needed..so he removed it. Post it as a feature request if you'd like it added back.

Administrator

Post by rph » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:40 am

I believe Daniel wants to set it up as historical cost in future versions rather than current cost like it was in 1.4.x.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by Brook » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:54 am

Thank you for your reply. Cost is cost. If someone is wanting to associate a date with a Product Cost for historical reasons then ok, but it really does not make sense getting rid of the Product Cost field all together :)

No doubt about it, depending on your industry and depending on the economy your Product Cost could change for the same product. That totally makes sense. Just wish that there was a product cost in the product table so that we could run reports today for today's cost. Similar to how we did in 1.4.9

Maybe I am missing something again, but Product Cost seems like an essential field for any Ecommerce cart software. You can make all the sales that you want with OpenCart (Gross Sales), but if you do not know what you paid for your product (Product Cost) then you really do not know how much money you are really making (Sales Profit).

Post by rph » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:13 am

Brook wrote:Maybe I am missing something again, but Product Cost seems like an essential field for any Ecommerce cart software. You can make all the sales that you want with OpenCart (Gross Sales), but if you do not know what you paid for your product (Product Cost) then you really do not know how much money you are really making (Sales Profit).
I think it's more of an accounting issue but clearly there's a lot of demand for the feature.

The thing is finding the true gross is much more complicated than was set up in 1.4x. If your cost for a product ever changed then your results weren't actually accurate.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by green17 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:02 pm

tilesupply wrote:Hi Brook

The cost field has been removed from 1.5.1.
But I have made a mod that will allow you to have the cost field back.

I have sent you a pm.

Kind Regards
Brook wrote:I just upgraded from OpenCart 1.4.9.6 to OpenCart 1.5.1.1. I installed a fresh copy of OpenCart 1.5.1.1

Thank you.

Hi tilesupply, you said about a mod to get back the cost field is it easy to fix?

Many Thanks for any help with this.

Adrian

Post by theking1010 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:19 pm

Hi, I would like add the Product Cost to the item? How do I insert the product cost in opencart version 1.5.1.3. I don't see this functionality. Thank you for your help :)

Thanks
Elvis

Post by tobychin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:54 am

theking1010 wrote:Hi, I would like add the Product Cost to the item? How do I insert the product cost in opencart version 1.5.1.3. I don't see this functionality. Thank you for your help :)

Thanks
Elvis
I believe this would be what you're looking for...Just don't do the last step! Unless you want everyone to know the "Cost" http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?t=36625

- Toby
"The only way to get to the top is to get off your bottom." - Fortune Cookie

Location - Warsaw, Indiana

Post by fido-x » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:01 am

Before re-adding the cost field to the product table, I suggest you have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=38303

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia